Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 02:51:47 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random question: The downfall of great bands.  (Read 5602 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Random question: The downfall of great bands.
« on: February 05, 2006, 02:37:38 PM »
When great bands become mainstream, does it happen because they lose inspiration and fall into a more trite sound, or is it because other bands that emulate them make their sound mainstream?

Just a random question that popped into my head for no reason when I was thinking about Metallica the other day, and I began to wonder how and why influential bands fall from their pedestals.

Looking at Metallica, for instance: their early music is awesome.  Their first few CDs are just good, solid rock that rocks.  Their last few attempts (pretty much anything after the Black album has been a steady decline), not so.  Why?

Both reasons I've suggested could apply, I suppose.  Their lyrics now seem to be only trite repe***ions of the same words over and over... in other words, their lyrics are just as mindless as most bands out there now.  Negative points for inspiration there, and for their music which no longer seems as melodically interesting as older songs.  But is it that their music doesn't seem as interesting because there are so many rock bands that sound like them out there now?  Rock bands are a dime a dozen, but you have to look hard to find really great music.

Does that mean that all influential bands eventually lose all their ability to influence, and become merely just another band in the pack?

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: Random question: The downfall of great bands.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
It's the corporate influence that usually propagates the downfall of such bands. They try to market every band to the average 13 year old girl. It's a shame really.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »
So you're saying that the corporate influence affects what kind of music those bands make?  That they have to become mainstream in order to sell?

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:59:15 PM »
To sell more. Corporations are all about making money, and they'll sacrifice creativity for an extra 50,000 bucks.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 04:49:15 PM »
Good point.  But, conspiracy theories aside, how much influence does a corporation have on the music that a band puts out?  You'd think with a big band that's selling a lot of CDs with their original sound wouldn't be pressured to change so much, for fear that their sales will go down.

Or maybe that's it.  They're pressured to remain the same, but after awhile "the same" gets really old and unoriginal, and it becomes mainstream in the minds of fans.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:30:01 PM »
Ach, zo I am a conzpiracy theorizt now?! :3

Yeah, if you sound the exact same for too long, then the music gets boring. It's what I hope happens to rap. Besides that though, I don't think "boring" becomes mainstream per se. There's just a generalized "poppy" sound (a la Britney Spears) that corporations seem to like. They hinge on the fact that people will still buy the CD's because they're fans, and even then, if people like the "poppy" sound, they'll buy the older albums therein making more money for the labels.

It's all about the Benjamins :(

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 04:55:17 PM »
Quote from: Seven
Yeah, if you sound the exact same for too long, then the music gets boring. It's what I hope happens to rap.
Hah!  Keep hoping.  I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you, though, because technically rap has sounded the exact same ever since its creation, and people still aren't bored with it.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 05:00:56 PM »
^No No. Tupac's rap was defendable. 50c's rap is indefendable. That sounds different.

My honest opinion, the downfall of music started when Mozart died.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Jedinator

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 09:49:27 AM »
yeah. When some bands sell out they chage the way their music sounds. Sometimes because the record company tells them too and they are paying the band a buttload of money so the band does it. Thats what pisses me off.

Star wars fan for life.
Bands you all should check out: AFI, Coheed and Cambria, Chiodos, Greely estates, hawthorne hieghts, musturd plug, five iron frenzy, and avenged sevenfold.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »
Of course you should all bow down to my awesomeness.

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/09/232252&from=rss

Point proven, I can get back to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up