Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 04:56:50 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions?  (Read 13807 times)

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

Re: Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »
I'm wandering around the NHRV forum and I see this thread about profiles.  The give and take of ideas for profiles, names that are, well, foreign to me but obviously have meaning in the context of anime and/or manga. Stuff I am blithely unaware of and made me look forward to a bit of 'schooling' so to speak. I even had a couple of (likely/possibly/probably) controversial ideas, but really not enough experience and exposure to feel comfortable about promoting them. But, never the shyest guy in the room, I go for the reply link and am admonished that this thread hasn't seen a post for over 360 days. Huh? I don't check the time/date stamp of posts regularly.  I probably should. 

So, using the spiffy new link to the NHRV home page, I pop over to look for these articles & profiles.  Awwww, color me sadly disappointed. One article, a music group, and not even a cute girl group at that. Scandal? No way, Jose!  My sigh of disappointment reverberated across the South China Sea.  I was looking forward to an introduction to the lives and creative genius of the anime and manga community.

My little tidbit was going to say, profiles of well-known artists would be well worth adding, just as reviews of much watched shows are worthwhile. Traffic, mentioned at least once as a good thing, might come, not only for the rarer profile, but for comparisons of more well-known profiles.  And I was going to chirp in, "Hey, add profiles of others.  Profile Danny Choo or if there are (in)famous cosplayers, consider them too. Not necessarily in a J-pop celebration, but as people that become involved with anime in a very personal way." 

There are a lot of facets to this diamond and apt explorations of any of them are enlightening.  I am sorry that the profile project never got off the pad.  It might have been a very good resource and a chance for newbies, such as myself, to enjoy the depth of the art form ... or at least paddle out of the shallow end of the pool ... more quickly.   
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
The chances that any of the reviewers would actually want to make a profile, (considering the one that you refer to was written by a guy who probably no longer comes on here) is pretty slim, so I think it's safe to say that there will no new profiles in the near future. (There's also the magical Wikipedia, which gives the exact same information, except you have to look for it.) Keep in mind, I am not in any way affiliated with this site, but I think it's a safe bet.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »
In all honesty profiles are a forgotten part of our site.  We may do them again in the future.  I, personally, don't see as much benefit in them.  If other staff members want to do them, then they'll get published.  But I don't really detect much interest in doing profiles from the current staff members.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 05:04:46 AM »
I don't quite see the point of this page, frankly. If there are indeed people who wants to contribute editorials to it, it's more appropriate that they are included on our staff blog since it's more active there, anyway.

What I would appreciate if refurbished is the staff page. I think it's useful and important for each of us reviewers to say something about ourselves so that readers know our preferences before going into the reviews.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »
Yeah, profiles were a good idea that probably won't see daylight.  So it goes. And I do use Wikipedia to look folks up occasionally when their name and my curiosity coincide.  But a group of profiles, grouped with a short intro paragraph, would have been educational and interesting, for myself anyway.  I enjoyed reading the history of anime that you have up here.  It let me to put things into a context and understand various genres that have developed over the years.

An updated Staff introduction with interests and preferences (some might say biases) would be worthwhile.  And maybe an idea of what you as reviewers are looking for, what are the standards you use.  Is there a general yardstick or is it all relational, comparing this anime to that that, which was done well.  I would seriously like to see that.  I am half way through my MM! versus BgHk project and my impressions thus far are so widely divergent from the comments and reviews here, I'd like to get a better handle on why that is occurring.  Well, something more than the "different folks, different strokes" school of comparison. 

Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up