Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 12:48:29 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So about that anime soundtrack...Ugh!  (Read 6522 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

So about that anime soundtrack...Ugh!
« on: January 31, 2006, 05:29:50 PM »
I have to admit this: anime soundtracks are generally horrible. You're getting the same re-used tunes, the same songs with different arrangements, and you know, the same crap all in one CD. What makes everything worse is that each CD is at least twenty tracks long. Why do they even bother?

Soundtracks are generally released to milk the cow. Think of Evangelion. How many soundtracks do they have? How many of them suck? If I remember correctly, there are over ten variations of Fly Me To The Moon and another handful of Variations of the same tunes (the battle theme, anyone?). Besides maybe three soundtracks out of about Fifteen (15!), all the OSTs are terrible in that they are repetitive and just difficult to "listen" to. There is a certain ripping group on IRC that release, almost on a daily basis, soundtracks from the most recent anime. I wonder if anyone even bothers? At best, one is downloading it for the opening and ending themes, and maybe one or two cool songs that was heard during that nasty fight scene or the crazy car chase.

Anyone heard a good soundtrack lately? Even Ghost in the Shell has gone down the poop-chute, with Be Human being their most recent "decent" work (and everything before that rocked my socks, though...). Man, I'd sure like a hear a good one right now, Bebop, Noir, and Trigun's are getting old. :(

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: So about that anime soundtrack...Ugh!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
STAND ALONE COMPLEX OST is a nice one.

Avoid the FMA movie OST. It is like 52 tracks of short but great instrumentals. They are just really short and end suddenly.

Le Portrait's OST is pretty good as well.

I have two OST reviews on the way, so make sure to check them out.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 08:24:24 PM »
Avoid the FMA movie OST. It is like 52 tracks of short but great instrumentals. They are just really short and end suddenly.

Being kinda redundant aren't we Kurie?

the .hack//SIGN and Cowboy Bebop Soundtracks were both equally well done, without the same repe***ion as the aforementioned Evangelion Soundtrack.

A suprisingly good soundtrack is that of the RK: Tsuiokuhen OVA. OVA soundtracks tend to be more palatable anyway, because there's less of a chance to repeat the same sone 30 times in 26 episodes.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 05:27:11 AM »
The Twelve Kingdoms soundtrack is very beautiful.  Also, I haven't listened to it for awhile, but from what I remember Haibane Renmei's Hanenone OST was good as well.  I don't recall much repetition in either one, if any at all.

Offline smacharia8

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:52:27 AM »
GITS 2nd Gig
FMA
Samurai Champloo (best of all)

Those who think
they know everything
annoy those of us who do.

Bleach Direct DL (ENTIRE SERIES in AVI/MP4/RM)
- Club Bleach
- Bleach Forums

Flomp-Rumbel
- Main
- Direct Download
[/color][/font]

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:56:43 PM »
And both soundtracks for Hellsing were very good. Absolutely no song on either of those even sounded like the other tracks.

I seem to remember the soundtrack for Berserk was good. I haven't listened to it in awhile, but there weren't any repetitive tracks and Susumu Hirasawa is a techno god, so of course it'll be good. While we're on the subject of Susumu Hirasawa, the Millennium Actress OST was beautiful, but there were a few tracks that recycled the main theme.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 09:08:50 PM by dheu »

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 02:54:37 AM »
Well, I'm just going to say this.  I have odd tastes.  Really odd tastes.  I prefer a good orchestral arrangement to a rock peice anyday (though I will agree, some songs have been arranged to death) and I have a bit of a fetish for violin.  So, cut me some slack.

You beat me to the punch on the Noir OST, but suffice to say it's Kajiura and therefore made of win, Canta Per Me and Salva Nos especially.

Madlax OST.  Not as good as some of Kajiura's earlier work, but I think it's one of her more experimental OSTs, as she has an unusual focus on flute (that she carries into her next OST, Xenosaga Episode II).  This leads me to believe the dip in quality was due to experimentation(she had never focused so heavily on flute before this), but I don't need to be making excuses because it's good anyhow.  Hitomi Wo Kareka, the show's opening theme is the best on there, but Nowhere kicks ass too.

Descendants of Darkness OST.  For those of you that can ignore the yaoi undertones, the work with strings occasoinally border on incredible.  'The Devil's Trill' and the ending theme in particular are very, very well done.

Read or Die OST.  I'm not sure what you expected from me, but you knew I would have to mention it.  It's James Bond, over-the-top jazz cheesyness at its best.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children had a great soundtrack.  Despite being almost entirely made of remixes from the game it's still great fun.  Advent One Winged Angel is great but is held back by a far-too-long guitar solo, so Fighting(Piano version) and Yakusoku no Chi are the winners this time around.

And if we're doing gaming soundtracks...

Shadow of the Colossus is some truly amazing work.  It sounds like a full orchestra playing, but it's really just assorted soloists with a full string section behind them.  And somehow it sounds like a full orchestra.  I don't get it either, but it's amazing.  Counterattack and A Violent Encounter are the best on the album.

Xenosaga Episode I is unquestionably amazing.  Like I mentioned, I'm a sucker for great orchestration, and this is the London Philharmonic Orchestra.  People, it just doens't get better, even with a great composer at the helm (which this has).  Omega and the Miracle are highlights.

Xensoaga Episode II is also amazing.  Frankly, it's Kajiura at her best.  That statement might lead you to believe you know what to expect, but she has a few tricks up her sleeve.  Lamentation and Prologue are the two winners this time.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 12:48:33 AM »
I like violin, too. Orchestral is great. That's not my point. When the soundtrack is redundant and meant to fill the tracks on the disc and the pockets on the CEO, it's not good. Evangelion had some exceptions (End of Evangelion OST, Death and Rebirth), but many other anime have crap for soundtracks. Being that their anime didn't have memorable music to start with, releasing a soundtrack is...obviously...a way to cash it up. Hats off to capitalism for destroying any sense of respect for art from one person to the next.

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 08:08:55 AM »
First off, there is such a thing as a good remix.

Good Examples:
The remixes of Melody, Salva Nos, and Canta Per Me (from the Noir soundtrack) are all excellent.  They all keep either the melody or they lyrics of the original, and present themselves differently.

'The True Mirror' from Baten Kaitos.  The original, the game's battle theme, is a synth band with a violin soloist.  The remixes are a synth band with an electric guitar and a full orchestra, both of which fully bring out the greatness of the song.

The various battle theme remixes from Koudelka.  The battle themes didn't sound that great in the game when synthesized(with the notable exception of 'Patience') but when remixed and played by a real band?  They sounded excellent.

Now, not all remixes are good.

Bad Examples:
Evangelion.  We don't need another 'Asuka Strikes' 'Cruel Angel Thesis' or 'Fly me To The Moon', thanks.

So, don't complain about remixes, they aren't the problem.  BAD and GRATUITOUS remixes are the problem.

That being said, about 90-95% of all things done by Yoko Kanno and Yuki Kajiura are excellent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up