Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 09:34:51 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How long is too long?  (Read 7751 times)

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

How long is too long?
« on: January 25, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »
Well, I was just thinking about the length of anime series. When I mean length, I mean the number of episodes/OVA's.

The question I pose today is: what do you feel is a suitable/unsuitable length for an anime series to go on for?

Personally I feel that around 20-30ish episodes is the best lenght. If done right it allows for the best chance for story (hopefully without going too slowly) and character development, without being too long to the point of tiresome (or too much filler). I'm not saying that short anime doesn't get this right, I just feel that lenght is better.

Excuse the wording, my brain is currently in sleep mode and refuses to get out of it.

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

How long is too long?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »
291 episodes is unacceptable.

My limit is about 100ish. After that I would just drag out the series, spending maybe one episode every other week.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

How long is too long?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 08:25:34 PM »
Once it gets above 50-ish, it starts getting difficult to tolerate.  If it uses all its episodes to tell its story, I don't mind.  But once something starts getting bogged down by filler and other boring inaneness, my patience starts getting tested.  I've yet to see a series about 52 episodes that hasn't had at least a few boring filler episodes.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

How long is too long?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »
I like shorter anime.  The longer it gets, the more the story starts to wander.  I like there to be direction in an anime, some destination or point.  I'd say usually one typical season is best (around 24 ~ 26 episodes).  When it starts getting above that, like Sorrow-kun said, filler episodes start getting more and more frequent, and while filler's all well and good on occasion, it starts to get annoying when you're at episode 100, watching the 10th "side story" in a row, waiting futilely to see some kind of completion to the main storyline.

With one exception, all of my favorite anime are under 26 episodes long.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

How long is too long?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 10:47:39 PM »
Hmm...

If the story is rock solid, I could care less about a series with 50+ episodes. Fillers few and far between are a must though.

Ideal though, 26~49. I like a series that I can sink my teeth into. 26 is just right, and with a good story 49 is pure bliss.

I have a problem with 100+ episodes though, the box sets are too expensive. ^_~
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

How long is too long?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 11:38:23 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with Tama on the 100+ episode limit.  I mean, if an anime can go over 100 episodes and not lose it's steam than I'm all for it, but that's almost never the case.  I've watched some great shows that are around the 75 episode length though (Hajime no Ippo, Monster).  If done well, they can be great.  They just have to stick to the main story and be weary of filler.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

How long is too long?
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:19:32 AM »
I think serious anime that are very, very long will tend to avoid filler, because they've got a long story to tell, and well, the producers are serious people :D . I think Monster is the case (but I haven't gone past episode 10 heh).

Offline Zirilan

How long is too long?
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
I have yet to see a longish (50+ eps) series without any filler.  To me, seeing one that's over 100 and has minimal filler is damn near impossible.  Even many "standard" twenty-some series episodes have an episode or two of filler, if not more.  I don't particularly have anything against long series as long as they don't go off on wild tangents and just drift farther and farther away from the main story with each new episode.

To answer your question, I mostly enjoy series with episodes in the 20s, gives plenty of time for a good story with minimal time for filler.  But there are good anime that go far beyond this point, so I in no way limit myself to how long a series is.  Most often, I have no clue how long a series is when I first start watching it.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

How long is too long?
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 03:07:06 PM »
/me takes out ruler

I dunno, ask your mom.

I'd say it varies on the anime. For example, .hack//SIGN and Cowboy Bebop were both too long. CB would have been better suited to say 6 OVA, whereas .hack would have been better as a 13 episode series. However anime such as FMA aren't long enough. I honestly would have loved to see even more FMA, but that's because Winry is hawt. :D

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

How long is too long?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 08:42:56 PM »
Maybe, but she was still the most pointless character in the show.  And Hawkeye is far more hittable.

Disagree about .hack//SIGN.  Two episodes would have been more than enough to tell the story.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

How long is too long?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 08:49:50 PM »
TAKE THAT SHIT BACK OR I'LL MAKE YOU.

But you're right, I'd hit it with Hawkeye too. But don't disrespect my .hack.

Offline Skywēl

• Shin Seiki Phate
    • http://www.animesecrets.org

How long is too long?
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 09:45:11 PM »
Cowboy Bebop's length was just fine. I'd say a few episodes less at most would be good.

How long I can tolerate a show correlates with how long I can tolerate the content (characters, story, make sure there's enough gratuitous nudity, etc.). Monster is 70+ episodes and I'm enjoying every bit that's been released by fansubbers so far. Looking back, the 69 episodes I've watched so far seemed to have passed very quickly.

I'd probably set my limit at 100 episodes. The only show I know of that seems worth watching that's that long is Touch, which is 101. If it gets too long I'll just drop it unless it's stupendous or, in the case of One Piece/Naruto where I haven't seen one ep of either, never even start it.

As for FMA, I'd bone both Hawkeye and Winry hard and equally. Though that goes for most of the females in FMA, including Ross. <_<

Ed and Al had a hot mom.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 10:09:04 PM by Skywēl »
Phate, Head of Anime Division at Anime Secrets
Visit us, dammit!

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

How long is too long?
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 02:20:57 PM »
.hack//SIGN?!  That is one of the most boring anime I have ever seen.  Props to Sorrow-kun, around 13 eps would have been good and the story probably could have been told in 6-8.

6 OVA for Bebop?!  I think Bebop should have been about 50 episodes, the "filler" was the best part.  Saying you watched Bebop for the story is like saying you go to Hooter's for the wings.

I don't think that filler is inherently a bad thing.  A little filler helps you to know the characters better and can keep the show from becoming overwhelming.  Scrapped Princess is an example of a show that could have used a little more filler so we could get to know the characters better.  After seeing SP, I removed the notion from my mind that 26 episodes of plot is a good thing.  Smell the roses a little.  That said, too much filler can (duh) damage a show.

It's really not the size that counts, it's what you do with it. :) My top 4 anime are all 13 episodes or less, and while some of them could have been better with more episodes, there is the chance that they wouldn't have been as good with more time.  If all 26 episodes are used well I'd say that is the ideal length for most series (although they rarely are).

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

How long is too long?
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 05:16:30 PM »
It's not about the length. It's about the quality. You want to get to know characters through filler? That's a sign that the anime is not doing a very good job at developing its characters, let alone pacing. I had a stronger connection with the characters in FLCL in just six 30 minute episodes than I did with Noir's 26 episodes (though that's not to say Noir is a bad anime, or has bad character development).

Yes, hack SIGN was a snooze.

"Let's sit and talk about the plot. All right."

Must be why I never finished it...

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

How long is too long?
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 09:10:40 PM »
Filler = episode not devoted to furthering the plot, not necessarily poor or low quality.

Filler gives you a feel for what the show is about.  Sure, you don't want to watch Kirika and Mireille kill random people indefinitely, but you at least want it for a few episodes to get a feel for the show.  Filler does not mean bad pacing, excessive filler is bad pacing.  Scrapped Princess starts with plot and never takes a break.  It is paced too quickly (a minor flaw and far better than being too slow).
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up