Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 02:23:53 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engrish and Why It Makes Japanese Music Retarded  (Read 18393 times)

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Engrish and Why It Makes Japanese Music Retarded
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 12:53:39 AM »
As a native speaker, I'm gonna just say this straight-up:

It is impossible for Japanese people to pronounce the English "r" sound. I know this may be a difficult concept for you to grasp, but it's a very hard concept for ME to grasp. I swear, my friends, even to this day, can't pronounce the word "rice" perfectly. Why?

The "ra-ri-ru-re-ro" line is actually pronounced exactly like "la-li-lu-le-lo" in English. The Japanese language lacks an "r" sound. Thus, Japanese people are born with "straight tounges." It's a flaw inherent in the language; there's nothing we can do about it.

...I know this topic has been dead for almost a year; bear with me, I'm sorry. >_<
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 04:30:08 AM »
Japanese do have the huge disadvantage when they're trying to speak english, but that doesn't mean it's end of the world. From what I know, here's the problem with their Janglish. O yea btw, engrish refers to all asians, and there are janglish, konglish, chinglish, and all are flawed in their own unique style due to the nature of their mother language.

Anyway, Japanese can't move their tongue as much as Westerners can. And letters like 'R' tends to use lot of rolling in your tongue. And Japanese naturally use short pronunciations. Now that doesn't mean you can not improve as a japanese speaking english. It just takes a lot more effort for Japanese to train themselves in moving their tongue as effectively.

Just an interesting trivia, it is also accepted that an american trying to speak japanese can be equally hilarious and retarded because of how much Americans roll their tongues unnecessarily while speaking japanese that require only short pronounciations.

And that's just the first very small reason why Japanese can't speak english very well. The bigger problem is with their own language. And it's bit hard for me to explain in words without the aid of visual communication but I'll try anyway so pardon me if I fail. Every Korean letter is composed of a , a vowel, and a vowel 'second vowel'. Japanese don't have this second vowel. So, when Koreans try to speak 'Mac Donald', they tend to speak Mack_Do_Nal_D, while Japanese tend to speak Ma_Ge_Do_Na_'R'e_D.

Although Chinese have the biggest advantage when it comes to asians speaking english, because they have that 4 different accents, varying high tone and low tone. It just sound retarded when Chinese adults try to speak it, because their grammar gets mixed up (as it happens for all of us asians), and say sometihng like 'You give back me now!'

So tell your friends too bad, you're japanese, but you're not trying hard enough, because japanese can speak good enligsh.

I can't exactly say everything I've said true because it's been a while since I read an article about it. If anyone finds a flaw, my thanks for helping me out. Until then, I hoped this may have answered some of your questions.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 10:16:14 AM »
The final reason for these "l"s is simple:

They live in a society where there's no need or nessesity to prounounce English rs correctly. They speak Japanese, not English. I live in America, where I must speak English, which is why my Rs are as good as any other native English speaker's. It is true, they could speak good English, but in the end, there's no need and they don't really care.  

And yes, watching Americans trying to speak Japanese is quite funny. And painful.

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
Tomoko Kawase aka Goddess of Japanese music always uses Engrish in every single song.

Except for, like, one.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »
"Let's have a tea together~~"

"Get ready~~~~~~"

.....holy crap, you're right. XD

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 06:57:17 PM »
See what I mean!~

"Wet's have tea togezer." XP

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »
Her pronounciation is not that bad, though. Compared to some other people's. >_>;;

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »
^ Yes. It is actually a bit pleasant.

However, I think I heard that only one of her songs was entirely Japanese. "Macaron" I believe.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 09:10:41 PM »
Here's my thought on this topic:

COMPL3X basically has explained it in a detailed manner: it all boils down to the majority of the Japanese community finding it hard to pronounce that extra vowel. However, that shouldn't justify why it's impossible to speak pleasant English. My favorite artistes Maaya Sakamoto and Sowelu can speak proficient English and Japanese just as well, for instance.

Times are changing, and nowadays it seems that good English may not be the necessity for communication (even though I don't hope so). Yes, I do find Americans and the Japanese speaking each other's language humorous when not done properly, which is all the more reason why they should continue to hone their linguistic abilities.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
*laughs* I found the image I was looking for...

Left is japanese, middle is korean, right is westerner. Basically it's a cross-section of the possible areas in which people can roll their tongues.

Maybe this holds true in general but I think it's a retarded diagram drawn up by a Korean, I would be surprised if there is any remarkable difference between average Korean tongue and Japanese tongue. And I haven't seen any concrete statistic proof so please disregard my first point about Japanese sucking at English because of their short tongue *dodges rotten tomatoes*. So it's all about the nature of Japanese language and how well they can speak depends on how much efforts they're putting into producing sounds that was not needed in their lives.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 11:44:43 PM »
Like I said, Japanese tongues are straight.

I like Engrish, though. It adds a nice touch.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 11:47:36 PM »
Engrish makes me laugh.  :)

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 11:49:34 PM »
I WANT TO DIVE LOST MIND!
I WANT FEELING I WANT FEELING ITSUMO!
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Tyrdium

• DAAAAAAA!
    • http://www.tyrdium.com

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 12:25:17 AM »
I don't care about pronunciation much. Same with minor grammatical weirdness. When the sentence makes zero sense, though... that's entertaining. :)

Quote from: TypicalIdiotFan
I WANT FEELING I WANT FEELING ITSUMO!
Argh! I'm trying to remember where that's from. Hajime no Ippo? I think it was "feeling over", by the way.
[ LJ | ASIP | Home ]

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 09:50:04 AM »
Quote from: Tyrdium
I don't care about pronunciation much. Same with minor grammatical weirdness. When the sentence makes zero sense, though... that's entertaining. :)
Except when it's so nonsensical that you can't even figure out what it's saying.  

The theme song for Hellsing springs instantly to mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up