Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 03:38:26 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engrish and Why It Makes Japanese Music Retarded  (Read 18410 times)

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Engrish and Why It Makes Japanese Music Retarded
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 10:12:36 AM »
I've heard so much of it that whenever I hear Engrish I just view it as Japanese. Then it's just fine. I don't try and find meaning or anything, just enjoy the music XD
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline mouse

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
I like Engrish.  In fact, I think all Japanese music should be in Engrish.  That way I'd get to sing along for more than one or two lines.  \o/

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »
Lazy mouse.  Learn Japanese already!

:3

Offline Ariani

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »
Engrish can be fun. I laugh at it the same way I laugh at people who wear stuff with Chinese/Japanese characters because they think it's cool. It's all the same.

As far as Engrish in music goes, I'm with mouse. If I listen to a song in Japanese enough I can sing it, but the Engrish makes it easier.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 03:21:55 PM »
Engrish is awful when you hear a song like the collaboration between Chinese Artist Luo Zhi Xiang (aka Alan aka "Show Luo") and Koda Kumi for "Twinkle Twinkle."  Although, I have heard quite a bit of that element in many a song.  Whether it is Korean, Japanese, or Chinese, I have heard both good and bad attempts at using English phrases.  Usually, when I hear "Engrish" its rather excruciating for me to hear.  Especially, when you know the phrase was just thrown in for the sake of being there.  Sometimes, I really question the efforts (if any at all) on the artist's behalf when it comes to pronouncing English.

I know it is not easy at all, but there has been too many a time where the artist just does not seem to try to actually pronounce anything right at all.  And, all you hear is garbled crap that makes no sense whatsoever.  But, I guess I will just have to get used to all the "Engrish" that is going to appear in many a song in the future.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2007, 03:41:18 PM »
I'm with Akira on this one... Except, I don't know what the hell the people are saying anyways, so I'm forced to enjoy the music for what it is.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up