Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 16, 2017, 03:05:21 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digi-volve to...!  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Digi-volve to...!
« on: January 20, 2006, 10:18:16 PM »
Digimon
Digital Monsters
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't have much to say about the show other then my opinion.

This was my starting anime, every before I truly knew what anime was. I grew up watching the first season on Saturday mornings, traveling the journy of the Digi-Destine an episode at a time. I am (was) a closet fan, owning every Digi-vice to be released state side and owning a majority of the original cards (even though, to date, I have no clue how to play the game).

Series ranking to me;

1 > 3 > 2 > 4+

The epic size of the first season was probably my main draw in, Power Rangers was in its first years of decline (yeah, that is right. PR was good at one point to me) and I had little else to watch other then Sailer Moon and Thundercats.

I still habor feelings for this expansive series (and even wish to cosplay as the gaint bear Digimon eventually).

Thoughts? Feelings? Hatred? Love? Digi-Fetish?
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Digi-volve to...!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 10:26:59 PM »
I think I was a bit too old around the time Digimon came out to have actually liked it.  It was just around the time I was getting over pokemon (the show, I still love the games), and I guess I only really saw it as a cheap knock-off at the time and never really payed much attention to it.  A lot of people keep saying how "good" the first season was though, and how it kind of went downhill from there.  It almost makes me want to find the first season and see for myself, but I honestly feel that I'm already in a mindset that almost won't allow me to like it.

In conclusion, never really saw, and never really thought much of it.  :/

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Digi-volve to...!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 12:15:54 AM »
Same answer as DK, minus the part about having an interest in Pokemon and minus being tempted to watch the first season.

Dragonball Z and Cardcaptors were the morning cartoons that eventually sparked my interest in anime.... but don't tell anyone.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Digi-volve to...!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 08:01:50 AM »
I loved Pokemon when I was in fourth grade. I downloaded the Gameboy emulator just to play it. I liked it that much. I also watched the TV show and sang along with the intro. Ha ha, those were the days. I hate Pokemon now. :(

I've always hated Digimon. It was like a Poser-Pokemon, but it was no good. I saw a few scathing episodes and I wanted to Bruce Lee-kick over my television with a BAM. It was rough in my days.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Digi-volve to...!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:40:45 AM »
Yeah, Digimon came out when I was watching Pokemon.  It struck me as a cheap imitation and to this day I've never watched so much as a single episode of Digimon.  The shows that got me into anime are:

DBZ:  For taking my 5th grade mind and blowing it away with action and characters the likes of which no American cartoon had matched

Outlaw Star:  For teaching me I liked more anime than just DBZ

Evangelion:  For showing me DBZ isn't the best anime out there and for making me realize I like smart shows more than mindless action.

Classic Adult Swim:  For making me look deeper into the world of anime.

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

Digi-volve to...!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:06:51 AM »
I didn't think that Digimon was that bad, to be honest. I didn't like season 3 at all, i prefered the first two seasons. Movie was okay in parts, but too rushed.

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Digi-volve to...!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 10:35:47 PM »
Once you get into Digimon, you notice that it is not a Poke-clone. Season one was epic, and had several arcs that never bored me (take that with a grain of salt, I was 8< ).
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

Digi-volve to...!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:11:03 PM »
digimon was accessible to my puny mind at a very young age. The word 'childish' is the best I can find to describe that slowness, stupidness, gayness that I see in that anime now. Ok, the idea of digital world, friendship, so called metaphors behind those gay transformations are interesting, plus the cuteness of the monster designs.
But o gay music, those transformations...transformations...and simple and childish animation, childish and obvious plots...which are also moving at an incredible and slow speed, so on so on...

pokemon was ok for the first time, again at a very young age. A lot better than digimon, because I can clearly remember the time I fell in love with pokemons, but not with digimons. There should be precise reasons behind that, which I can not point out right now and probably never will bother. But I still remember all 151 pokemon names, their types, levels required for certain moves, evolution stages (which amazes me still) and I dont think Ill forget them anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:17:05 PM by C0MPL3X »
Pages: [1]   Go Up