Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 01:41:55 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 12: First Impressions  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Final Fantasy 12: First Impressions
« on: November 30, 2005, 10:23:23 PM »
There is a playable FF12 demo out. It comes with the purchase of Dragon Quest VIII.

Now, I really like the Final Fantasy series...but I don't think this one will be "it" this time. Basically it's a story about some place called Ivalice. After seeing the trailer, I wasn't too impressed. There was a lot of cliches, phrases and concepts, so that angered me. The demo has two stages: one for "wait" mode and one for "active" mode. Apparently the menu is a whole big secret, so they had to seal off the Triangle button. :/

First stage:

Upon first impression, one can get quite enticed by the surroundings. But something feels very wrong. After a while, you realize that the surroundings are nothing special as the details are not as detailed and the atmosphere is lacking. The music does not help at all in building an atmosphere. It doesn't seem to vary, either.

Second stage:

It's good to know that FF12 will have many different battle themes, depending on where you fight. Battles are no longer held in separate screens. It's also very noticeable that FF12's battle engine is heavily based on FF11's, but it is much smoother and much more user-friendly. The switching between characters is very awkward and I preferred not to do it at all at times. The character that you control (you can only control one at a time and you can determine who you want the leader, out of the 3 characters, to be--that leader is who you control) can move around freely, so one can apply tactics such as moving far away or dodging at the right time to evade the enemy's attack. I'm not too sure if FF12 is cool enough to detail on the specific areas of the enemy that you can hit strategically--such as hitting from behind does more damage, etc. It looks like the Final Fantasy series is finally taking the right direction by basing their battle system on more of a tactical approach, where one needs to be precise with the positioning of their characters and the timing of their actions. I hope that the game really does take that to another level and make 12 a revolutionary turn-based RPG.

Be aware that the demo will not reflect what the game really is like. It's just the battle system and you're not even getting the details. You don't have any other form of play other than battles (maybe the intermission between battles when you walk around and collect treasures...oh yeah, treasures...). That reminds me: it looks like FF12 is still insistent on using the "Go to dungeon, get treasures, fight enemies" motif. Treasures in dungeons, especially in chests, have been an RPG cliche for a long time. Not only does it make little sense, it is also distracting and a clear stab at the player's face that "Hey! This game is not realistic!". The events are also played in widescreen (cool), but with annoying transitions that looks like the FF screen-flashes that occur when you go into battle (which is thankfully gone...but why would they have it here and for event transitions? What?).

Unless Square comes up with improved controls for their battle system, it will be quite a burden to play the game in Active mode. The battles work at a good speed, but a speed that is unacceptable that makes you hit a lot of buttons very quickly and make impulse decisions. Wait mode makes the game extremely turn-based and less like the "Real time battle system" that Square aspired for...Nonetheless, the demo was enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else Square will reveal.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:25:33 PM by Tamashii »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

Re: Final Fantasy 12: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:32:31 AM »
FF12 is coming to the PS2 on Halloween of this year.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »
Finally!  How long has this game been pushed back now?  

Jeez.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »
Seriously.
Pages: [1]   Go Up