Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 11:53:08 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inuyashiki  (Read 999 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Inuyashiki
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:40 AM »
4:

Seriously now, Gramps really need to consider make his own suit or something. He can't be flying around fighting bad guys topless and shit; that's just wrong.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:13 AM »
5:

So I'm right. Shishigami does have a sense of empathy, but with questionable morals. He's not a completely psychopath; he has protective instincts but no understanding of consequences. He actually thinks he can get 3 million yen in cold hard cash without raising any alarms (and claim to be good at moving money)? Kid doesn't even understand basic economics.

And Gramps... oh Gramps. Old man needs to read them shounen comics to know to shoot lasers or something.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 08:00:05 PM »
If Gramps need Astro (or Atom) Boy's song to fly, maybe he need to name his beam arm thingy. You know like how people shouts the name of the Ultimate Weapon before dispatching the enemy. And the name of the weapon/combo moves will pop up Kill La Kill style.

And he need Spandex pants. Guess Andou is going to be Gramps sidekick, aka Robin. He sure is a cry baby.

I don't get it when Shishigami  bleeds from a paper cut. They can withstand a .50 BMG round, but can get a paper cut? And is it blood or simulated blood. When Gramps eat, his body expel it. So it the body adapting? Shishigami is not bothering to conceal what happens or who he is. His strength, his confession to Andou that's he's a robot, and now using his hands as a mobile device.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:56 AM »
Gramps reminds me of the super powered main character from The Greatest American Hero.  In fact, they're very similar plot lines involving alien tech.  In TGAH, a teacher is given a cliche' spandex superhero suit that grants him all kinds of Superman like powers, but he loses the instruction manual, so he doesn't know how to use any of them.  Comedy ensues when he has to go through a lot of trial and error to figure things out, and even by the end of the series run, still hadn't mastered flying.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »
I don't get it when Shishigami  bleeds from a paper cut. They can withstand a .50 BMG round, but can get a paper cut? And is it blood or simulated blood. When Gramps eat, his body expel it. So it the body adapting? Shishigami is not bothering to conceal what happens or who he is. His strength, his confession to Andou that's he's a robot, and now using his hands as a mobile device.

It's the whole running theme of being human, which is kinda fascinating to me. It's like what I mentioned before: Gramps still 'feels' tired although he isn't, Shishigami taking the bus to school, etc. There's no real reason for them to even do or experience any of them. It's just a subconscious habit or a human reflex, but Shishigami does make conscious effort to do non-human things (like using his hand as a phone, or something).

His finger bleeding? Maybe he unconsciously wanted to bleed in order to feel human, instead of going around and killing people for it. He can take on a .50 BMG round but not take damage of it obviously because he doesn't want a gaping hole in his body.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 10:23:56 PM »
The finger bleeding sequence is, I think, a bit of bad directing.  I think Hiro was dreaming that, which is why the very next scene is a quick cut to him waking up.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 01:40:37 AM »
The finger bleeding sequence is, I think, a bit of bad directing.  I think Hiro was dreaming that, which is why the very next scene is a quick cut to him waking up.

I re watch that part. I think you are right. It just that the next seance was he and his mom was watching the news.

Beside asking the question am I still human, the other thing that keeps popping up is 'I am no hero;. Gramps feels that using his new power to save people is a 'human responsibility'. And he never feels heroic. Make me wonder how does a salary man get that repressed emotions. In the train ride from episode 1, there was a hint that he do have repressed feelings of in justice. And he fantasize standing up to the train ruffians.

Or watching Astro Boy in his childhood days gave he a sense of justice. Wonder what happens if he watch too much Gatachman.  He may shouts "Bird Go" before activating his rocket back pack. 

Offline Gadget

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
Hiro's last anchor to reality is gone. He's totally unhinge now. So he cries for his mom, or he cries for himself. He wanted to feel human, and he did. The result is hate and revenge. Cool way of 'bang bang' from the screen. Ultimate doxing.  And otaku and 4chan users bashing.Sometimes I think a person true personality comes out when you are anonymous. People will react differently if your real identity can be known.

Gramps is too cute to be true. Come on. Don't know USB port, Lightning jack, Micro SD card. Good thing he did not interface as serial or parallel port.

The voice acting still feels weird. The VA for the 2 MCs are actors, not professional VAs. Their lack of experience is coming out. But veteran actor for Inuyashiki, Kohinata Fumiyo is no stranger the live production base on anime or manga.  He manages to get some innocence from Gramps.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 05:40:16 AM »
7-8:

USB 2.0? Seriously, not evening 3.1? Alien technology is lagging behind.

Yes, I do feel from day one that the seiyuu work is really off. I thought it was deliberate - especially if it's to make Shishigami less human - but I think it's just not good. But things won't end well for Shishigami at this rate. Saving lives doesn't conveniently erase all past murders even if it's the next best thing.

But more importantly, it now feels more like a story of Shishigami rather than Inuyashiki. Gramps is merely playing second fiddle to Young Man, even as likable as he is.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
9:

Well, the gloves are off for Shishigami.  This wont end well for anybody.

But how in the balls did those two survive?  I thought Hiro was weeping because he couldn't save them, but then a few scenes later they're both alive and receiving money from him?  I guess he did save them, but God was that clumsy.

Now daughter knows about Dad, though for whatever reason she's not going to act on it yet.  I wonder what the subject of her manga is going to be...

Offline Gadget

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 05:01:09 AM »
9:

Well, the gloves are off for Shishigami.  This wont end well for anybody.

But how in the balls did those two survive?  I thought Hiro was weeping because he couldn't save them, but then a few scenes later they're both alive and receiving money from him?  I guess he did save them, but God was that clumsy.

Now daughter knows about Dad, though for whatever reason she's not going to act on it yet.  I wonder what the subject of her manga is going to be...

I guess he did that during his flight. Guess his crush and her grandma was just 'resting' after he heal them.

The police station attack was so 'The Terminator' . Shishigami should have a phrase that he will be remember, like 'Ar'll be back'. And if the police got wipe out, cause the writing got sloppy. If tons of 9mm or Lapua Magnum (or ?.50 BMG) cannot kill him, i get 20mm Bushmaster, or even call the army to borrow a 120 Smoothbore, LAW, or even the Hellfire missile. Not only the police are 'dumb' the police seems arrogant. Like how the lone survivor taunt him. And the way they try to take him down, Operation Neptune Spear (killing of Osama bin Laden)style bykilling everyone.
Come on, if 9mm can take him own, a puny .38 can? You guys are not carry the 460 Magnum
It seems that it's deliberate to push Shishigami over the edge. But the police has some answering for their in competency. I think this is making us audience give Shishigami some sympathy when he goes Terminator mode.

Mari's new manga will be about a lame a dad that is actually a alien robot that heals people. Next step, she'll confront Andou in school, Andou will be the most hate boy in class. Prepare to see Andou blush like crazy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
Yeah, I can understand the cops getting paranoid and sending in a SAT to try to stop Shishigami, but they had to understand that anybody who wasn't Hiro should have been subdued without violence.  They had grandma subdued, with her hands up, and the other girl wasn't a threat either.  Sure, she shouted and warned Shishigami, and maybe that spooked one of the cops, who were probably on edge and out for revenge for murdered brethren, but still, the rules of engagement should have been to subdue anybody who wasn't Shishigami without killing them, but lethal force could be authorized for Hiro himself.

Instead, rat-a-tat-tat, shootin' everyone with my gat'.  Ended up not mattering since they stayed alive, but still.  By this point, with all the visual evidence they have (few survivors, but still video), it should be obvious to everybody that Shishigami is not a normal human being.  This is where the escalation paradox discussed in Chris Nolan's Batman Begins comes into play.  This is where special services are called in.

Alien tech, so who knows how effective it'll be.  The fascinating part is that the alien tech can't even seem to stop other alien tech.  Shishigami fingerbanged Grandpa and it didn't phase him either.  The aliens seemed to have discovered some kind of substance or metallic alloy that far exceeded even their weapons power output.  Right now they're like the Monitor and the Merrimack.  For those who don't know history, those were the first two metal plate armored naval vessels used in combat (in the Civil War no less).  The two ships shot cannon shell at each other for hours, all shots just bouncing off the hulls.  The armor plates had done their job, but neither side had figured out a way to create more powerful cannon shots to penetrate the armor.  Eventually this led to modern navies having armor plating and bigger, more powerful cannons being mounted on them to kill other ships.  Like I said, the escalation paradox.  Innovation begets innovation.

But here we have two impregnable cyborgs who can't even shoot each other.  So what is going to happen?  Well, I think the obvious answer actually lies in something that has been subtly shown but never actually talked about:  water.  At various times throughout the show, both Shishigami and Grandpa have "passed out" and the AI of the robot frames has taken over.  They were only revived by drinking water.  I think this means that the organic components or something related to the human consciousness or maybe the power supply of the suits themselves, require water to function.  Why are they passing out when they can't be harmed?  It seems they can still "feel" something from the impacts, and maybe their "passing out" is simply some kind of neuro-feedback defense mechanism so they don't feel too much pain.  Still, I wonder how the water plays into all of this.  Coolant?  Fuel?  I don't know.  But if you can basically dehydrate one of them, then while the suit may take over, perhaps they can be "dealt" with more easily.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »
8:

What do you do when you have two war machines that are equally powerful?

Throw in an asteroid.

It wiped out the dinosaurs, so why not.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 07:40:11 AM »
9:

Man, the production values have really gone down the gutter.

I can't feel anything for Shishigami anymore. I have a speck of empathy for him when his mother died, but now he's just an over-the-top version of Light Yagami, and even I can root a bit for Yagami for his ingenuity. Shishigami's just being a dick for the sake of it.

And is the show making a social commentary about us being overly dependent with our phones? Or that society has already become so apathetic beyond repair that they don't care even after a massacre, and a plane crash? Sorry, but the commentary's lacking punch.

And speaking of the plane crash, that whole segue about a random woman on board the plane? Talk about a terrible direction there.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up