Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 08:51:42 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inuyashiki  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Inuyashiki
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »
1:

MAPPA is certainly keeping busy

2D Ajiin meets Parasyte with some Gantz level of violence towards the homeless.   

Now I feel like a real asshole for never responding to my parents.
Some classic Japanese "body horror" shots.
The random old guy gimmick is amazing. I want some Grandpa-driven action sequences.

No idea what is to come but am interested.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Inuyashiki
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
1:

Wow, that was weird.  A good weird, but still weird.  I know this is done by the same lunatic who made Gantz, so there should be an awful lot more weird coming if it holds anywhere true to that work's legacy.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »
You men stupid aliens that got only weapons, and they configure into an old man. Well, it's more interesting than you got Star Trek's Data's body. Some how, I'll prefer Birdy from Tetsuwan Birdy Decode if I want a body swap. And alien tech can heck into YouTube.
The intro was good. I wonder why did they get a drama actor instead of a VA. MAL got only 2 anime to his credits. Full Metal will be a live movie.
1:
  I know this is done by the same lunatic who made Gantz, so there should be an awful lot more weird coming if it holds anywhere true to that work's legacy.

And he did this dark shit call Karas. As well as some lighter stuff like Tiger and Bunny. So I expect good stuff.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
The alien shit made me laugh.  I don't know if it was supposed to be comedic, but it came off as some funny as hell dark comedy.

/Alien ship warps in, crushes an old human

Alien 1:  "****!  I think we hit something!"
Alien 2:  "Nah man, just some turbulence on landing."
Alien 1:  "What?  Bullshit!  There's a ****ing red smear on the bumper!"
Alien 2:  "Bugs around here are pretty big."
Alien 1:  "That wasn't a bug you ****ing twit!  We're supposed to be doing this shit incognito and you just flew right into some old human's grill!"
Alien 2:  "Maybe I shouldn't have had that second beer."
Alien 1:  "God damnit!  I just got my insurance premiums down, and you go and pull this crap.  Now what are we going to do?  I have a dented fender AND we've blown our cover."
Alien 2:  "You worry too much, man.  We'll just rebuild the dead human guy in one of our cyber bodies."
Alien 1:  "What, you mean make the old guy a cyborg?  You think that will work?"
Alien 2:  "Sure man, we do that shit all the time."
Alien 1:  "Well, okay.  What kind of cyborg bodies do we got laying around."
Alien 2:  "I got that one spare over in the closet."
Alien 1 checks the closet.
Alien 1:  "Hey, wait a minute, this is a military grade security cyborg.  What the hell do you have this for?"
Alien 2:  "Solicitors."
Alien 1:  "Wont this make this old guy like, really dangerous to the other humans?"
Alien 2:  "Nah, it's okay.  He'll never know."
Alien 1:  "I don't know, letting a walking weapon of mass destruction run around on the planet seems like not a way to fix our blown cover."
Alien 2:  "Seriously man, do you ever have any fun?"
Alien 1 grumbles.
Alien 2:  "Okay, let me get out the squeegee and we'll get to work.  I'm going to need another beer for this."

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:10:08 AM »
1:

Wow.

I'm not sure which one impressed me more. Evidently, this show is going blitzkrieg over the production values, sometimes a little too much. I get it why some scenes are CGI-animated, but why do so even for the mundane ones like Ichirou getting up or something?

Another is just how the whole story is set up. Notice how perfect this show did a job at capturing the quintessential Japanese passive-depressive lifestyle for the first eight minutes? And then some weird shit happens and Old Man Jenkins becomes War Machine. Despite the whole high jinks, one line captured what the show is all about: "I'm human". The first half shows just 'inhuman' life can be, aka the apathetic society, and here this old guy finally regains his sense of humanity despite ironically being anything but human.

I'm just perplexed by the derpy aliens. Seems like a too-serious Rick and Morty scene right there: why were they even obliged to even replace two humans with their weaponry? But why tho.

I'm sensing that this will be the sleeper hit of the season, the unlikely hero just like Ichirou... so quirky but charming at the same time.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
I'm just perplexed by the derpy aliens. Seems like a too-serious Rick and Morty scene right there: why were they even obliged to even replace two humans with their weaponry? But why tho.

Great, now I have to change my dialogue.

Rick:  "Wh.. what the hell happened?"
Morty:  "Uh, nothing!  I think I might have bumped into something on landing."
Rick:  "If by bumped into 'something' you mean this obliterated carcass of circa 1988 Phil Donahue you splattered all over this park, then yes, you 'bumped' into 'something', Morty."
Morty:  "Ah jeez, Rick!  I didn't even see him!  Y'know!  He just... he just jumped right out in front of me."
Rick:  "I'm pretty sure a geriatric Japanese guy with more stomach cancer than stomach couldn't just jump out in front of you.  I taught you to drive this thing so you could get us home while I'm passed out drunk, or high, or both, or if I just want to fake being asleep so I don't have to talk to you.  Especially the last one.  You're not supposed to use it like a Nan King survivor out for revenge."
Morty:  "Wha-what're we gonna do, Rick?  We just can't leave him like this.  I killed a poor old Japanese guy!  I wont ever be able to play DDR again!"
Rick:  "Calm down Morty!  Everything is gonna be fine!  All I have to do is take the little bits of this guy's whatever here and put into a cybernetic body, Morty!  He'll be completely reborn as a cyborg with no memory of any of this!  He'll go on with his life perfectly fine and ignorant for the rest of his natural life, Morty!"
Morty:  "But, wont he notice when he doesn't have to eat, or pee, or anything?"
Rick:  "Nah, Japanese people are passive wussies.  He'll just think it's the stomach cancer.  Now let's see what I have in the trunk here.... ahhh ha ha ha!  There we go!  I forgot all about this little baby."
Morty:  "Does that thing have guns?"
Rick:  "Yeah!  It's my super deluxe combat cyborg chassis I had built to replace Jerry with if he ever betrayed me to the Galactic Federation and Beth couldn't handle the separation.  Oh right, that happened and I forgot to do that."
Rick does some Rick things.
Rick:  "There!  It's done!  Now let's get the hell out of here, Morty.  Oh and you drive, I, uh, I wanna take a nap over here."

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 04:55:13 PM »
^

Not enough drunken burping. 5/10.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
I figured it was implied.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 02:29:30 AM »
Hiro Shishigami is a classical psychopath.
Something from WebMD

A key difference between a psychopath and a sociopath is whether he has a conscience, the little voice inside that lets us know when we’re doing something wrong, says L. Michael Tompkins, EdD. He's a psychologist at the Sacramento County Mental Health Treatment Center.

A psychopath doesn’t have a conscience. If he lies to you so he can steal your money, he won’t feel any moral qualms, though he may pretend to. He may observe others and then act the way they do so he’s not “found out,” Tompkins says.

And what makes 'bad' that he feels nothing when he kills. And it seems that he already had this trait in junior school.

I hope gramps  Inuyashiki got a newer model. I guess he had not been experimenting with his new body. I was wondering why he could not Hulk leap over to the crime seance.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
2:

This show just broke the fourth wall.

This is beautiful: What better way to complement a hero who gained empathy than with someone who has none of it. It's amazingly ironic: Gramps became a robot but gains humanity, whereas Youngster became a robot and went T-1000. Sure, he has always lacked empathy but getting robo-upgrade let him loose. I was wondering why the way he talks is very unnatural.

It all makes sense: the aliens were Skynet all along.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
2:

Yeah, this crossed a line with me.  I'm usually fairly ambivalent to gratuitous violence, gore, and senseless cruelty in fiction, especially as a cheap way to shock value, but I am okay with it if it helps to tell a story of a character.  However, I do not like killing kids.  Now while they kind of pussied out by not having him directly kill the kid, somehow the way they did it was even worse.  That wasn't Hiro killing the kid, so I don't reflect that on the character.  That's on the writer / director of this shit.  I don't know who can create that kind of environment without any kind of doubt, but that's the kind of person I would stare at long and hard before willingly sharing a taxi cab with them.

Enough of that, the point was to show that Hiro has become a monster.  Whether he was a psychopath before the robot body or not, Hiro has become one now.  He killed those people just to see if he could still feel something.  Shame?  Joy?  Regret?  Disgust?  We don't know what he was after.  Psychopaths don't kill because they're searching for some hidden feeling inside of themselves, they just kill because they have no understanding, and thus no concern, of human emotions.  There is also a hot debate as to whether they actually feel any happiness or joy, or whether that is just endorphins released as a result of the mental satisfaction of seeing results.  Like a scientist who discovers a new thing, or a child who sees a worm for the first time, it isn't necessarily about their own joy at killing so much as pleasure at seeing something different or new.

So I don't know exactly what qualifies Hiro as a full psychopath here.  Much like Grandpa, he appears to be struggling with what has become of him.  Grandpa spent the better part of the first episode in horror as to what he had become, trying to understand it.  He still had his own morals, ethics, and personal beliefs contained in whatever was left of him inside the robot, so of course everything was unnerving.  However, he was changed by his experiences.  He stood up for something he believed in, and while he did it subconsciously, he inevitably saved that homeless man from the wrath of a bunch of really sick little bastards.  Like Walter Mitty, Grandpa had only dreamed or fantasized about doing things greater than his own existence.  Never once did he stand up for himself or what he believes in.  He has been a coward; a pathetic individual without any sense of confidence who lets everybody walk all over him.  Sure, his family sucks, but he lets his family suck.  Blaming the victim?  **** off.  There's a reason why those who are taken advantage of are taken advantage of, and will continue to be taken advantage of, until they find the strength to stand up for themselves and others.  The machine modification, this newfound power, has given Grandpa the confidence to change himself.

Hiro is not any different.  While the flashback to their younger days was supposed to be an evidence that Hiro has always had this inside him, I don't know if that is the case.  I think the line was supposed to be a clue that Hiro is actually testing whether or not his ability to care about those who he doesn't know die is true or not.  Like I said, he was searching for an emotion.  The body change, which you have to admit is going to seriously **** some people up considering the aliens put them in COMBAT MODEL CYBORG BODIES, is going to give anybody a power trip.  Hiro would undoubtedly never kill someone before this happened to him.  Maybe he was a coward, too.  Maybe he wanted to try but never could.  Now he has the power to do so and tested it out.  Is this the first time he's done this?  I don't think the "slasher" comment was supposed to be him, since his MO appears to be... *cough*.... "fingerbanging" people instead.  So maybe this was his first time.  Maybe he, after discovering that he is now just a walking tool of death and destruction, decided that this was going to be his fate.  He was now a weapon, and what other purpose does a weapon serve than to kill people?  His rationalization and change is utterly different from Grandpa's, because that's how you get a "good guy" and a "bad guy" in these kinds of stories, but they're the only two people in this world who have had their bodies destroyed and replaced by combat cyborg frames.  How are we supposed to judge how they react to such things?

It doesn't matter.  They're going to judge each other it seems.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:03:18 AM »
3:

So here's the fun prediction going forward:  which of these two super powered robot people is going to have the rougher life?  Before you answer, think about it a second.

Grandpa is using his powers to help people, and while he's getting a lot of satisfaction out of it, he's also got way too many witnesses who have seen him do rather impressive things.  Awkwardly battle a bunch of what look like gym rats who easily could have killed an old guy like him and win?  Walked into a burning building twice to rescue two people and came out unscathed?  Healing the sick and the wounded?  He's not going to be able to keep his shit secret for very long if he keeps up the lack of a secret identity thing, and with those who have great power, will come those who need that great power.  There are hundreds of millions of sick people around the world.  Can he heal them all?  If you could heal one person every minute, you could only heal 42,048,000 people in an 80 year average lifespan.  While he might be immortal in this state, the people who are sick aren't.  Who waits for your laying on hands?  Who dies in the meantime?  You wouldn't even put a dent in the sick population, and while you're doing that, who is saving those who are being robbed, mugged, raped, or murdered?  Who is stopping Hiro from slaughtering innocents easily as fast as you can heal them?

Hiro has no ambitions, no morals, and no responsibilities.  He might be lonely now that he's lost his best friend, but aside from the normalcy that psychopaths recognize as being necessary, he doesn't have to do anything.  He wont have to worry about people flocking to him for healing, or demanding that they save him, or anything of the sort.  He can just go through life doing what he wants.  Miserable perhaps, but not overwhelmed.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 05:47:11 AM »
3:

Pops is my new fave superhero now, ahead of any from Marvel or DC. I died when he sang Astro Boy; no other superhero is cooler than that.

I think it's wrong to claim that Shishigami is completely devoid of empathy. Technically, he does have some for his friend Ando, and indeed he does care about his welfare. One thing's for sure is that he has no sense of morals at all. If Old Man is gonna defeat him, then Ando is the key.

I must admit, I find it strange why Inuyashiki and Shishigami are still doing exhibiting ordinary human behavior despite their newfound powers. Shishigami takes the bus to school despite being able to fly. Inuyashiki sweats and breathes hard even when he doesn't have to. It's highly plausible that Shishigami is deliberately trying to blend and not stand out, while Inuyashiki is still not used to his new body.

Clearly, Shishigami has the upper hand when face-to-face with Old Man... but that's where Ando comes in and becomes his Kryptonite.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 02:48:06 PM »
4:

I could probably watch 50 episodes of just Jiji wrecking bad guys' shit.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 06:37:23 AM »
Old Man starts to remain me of the Old Man in Metallica's Enter Sandman music video. Scary when pissed off. I think he should watch the Matrix to learn some cool moves. Come on, with all his powers, his trump move is 'The Windmill Punch'?
His body has a auto defense program that will take over when he has lost conscious. It's way cooler than Shishigami's finger gun 'bang'. It's strange that the auto defense program will hurt, but not kill. Somehow I think the auto defense program has been influence by Jiji's conscious. 
Medical program has no auto defibrillator? Has to relay on the time tested cardiac message? Can mend bones, cure cancer, but cannot start a heart? Yep, the aliens are dumb.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up