Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 12:09:08 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imouto sae ireba ii (A Little Sister is All You Need)  (Read 551 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Imouto sae ireba ii (A Little Sister is All You Need)
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:23:58 AM »
1:

Wow that cold intro.  By the time they got to the editor having a cow I was PRAYING that there was going to BE an editor having a cow.  Obviously, that whole thing was deliberately played up to the maximum cringe inducing factor possible so the audience can get to know just what kind of jackass this main character is, but by the time we got to little sister eggs and milk and eating panties I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be laughing or closing the video.

The rest, though, is wonderful, and thanks to the rest being wonderful I now have an appreciation for that cold intro.  By giving us the "in your face" bullshit first, then showing us the reality of this author's life, his friends, his ... *cough*... "little brother" (insult our intelligence, go ahead), we get a nice juxtaposition of over-the-top and mundane and realistic.  I liked this a lot, really, probably more than I had a right to.  I fell in love with Kanikou immediately, and it shouldn't be hard to see why.  The other characters are less abrasive, but still interesting, at least of what we've seen so far.  The "Manwhore" and the other girl didn't do much, though the Manwhore was more interesting.  The "little brother" Chihiro (if they actually keep him a him, I might applaud this shit, but it wont happen) didn't do much, but seems to follow in stride with "his" brother on a lot of things.

There's dynamic here.  We only got snippets of it, but there is dynamic; some atmosphere to this group.  Kanikou immediately becomes sympathetic, but I hope they don't stop there with her.  I'd like to think her personality is the result of frustration more than anything else, what with that look she had in the shower.  She's got a darkness, she's just in a better place now than her past, but it still is there.  Doubt, fear...

Anyway, I'm projecting.  We haven't seen much to this yet, but I could see this being a much more tolerable attempt at making a friendship dynamic work than, say, Saekano, which wanted to be a harem first and a story about intertwined relationships second.  I don't know if this will actually go that route, or even be good, but the first episode was decent enough for more looks.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Imouto sae ireba ii (A Little Sister is All You Need)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:05:20 AM »
Only a couple of things really stuck out at our house this season, so we just got a bunch of stuff to see what sticks. This was one.

That intro. I was thinking oh god someone actually decided to one up Oreimo. I was about to hit the '**** this shit I'm out' button when we got to the freshly squeezed little sister milk I thought something was up.

I really enjoyed the dynamic between the friends as well, hopefully it keeps it up. Though judging from the series description, Chihiro...well, you can probably guess.

Though I must say, Itsuki has Carcassonne and 7 Wonders on his shelf. What game to play to kill time should be no question at all. That was our go-to killing time game for a long time. You could probably fit 2 or 3 games of Carcassonne in half hour, unless you are really looking to screw your friends over.

Edit: though if they were in for a serious game night, they'd pull out his copy of Agricola. so. much. busywork.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:10:27 AM by Major Tom »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:30:09 PM »
2:

It was only obvious in the first episode for one person, but this second episode sealed the deal for the others.

These are not happy people.  They're not happy at all.  Ignoring Itsuki's obnoxious little sister fetish, he's probably the only one who is normal, but that's mostly because I don't think he cares if he's happy or not.  Kani is miserable, both because of her past and because she can't get what she really wants; Miyako is lost in the woods, with no ambition and surrounded by people who are "living", or at least those who have found their way; Haruto has no personal voice, instead like a politician he attempts to manipulate people into liking him. 

We don't know much about Chihiro yet, but "he" doesn't seem unhappy, though I wonder how happy she can be living a lie, especially to her older brother.  Exactly how this situation came about that that not only has she had to live as a younger "brother" all her life, but in such a way that Itsuki doesn't KNOW about it is fascinating to me.  It makes me wonder if they haven't known each other all that long, or maybe Itsuki was gone for a very long time.  I have a hard time believing that the parents just decided to fake Chihiro being a boy because of Itsuki's little sister obsession, and therefore have lied to him all his life about it.  I mean, there's a story here.  A really interesting one, and I want to know what it is.  It'll piss me off if they're not blood related and she's a step sibling.  That would explain things easily enough, but it is a pussy answer.  It would be far more fascinating to look at how disgusting this family unit is if this has somehow been going on a long time.

I do like that they gave us a chance to not only see Miyako and Kani interact, but to show that there is some level of love here.  Kani, at first, wasn't the brazen little vixen that she is now.  She made herself this way, perhaps as a way of venting her frustration over Itsuki having no interest in her (acting more and more obnoxious just or attention).  But, back when she first met Miyako, she was her stoic kuudere self, and Miyako unlocked a door there with just a little bit of empathy, showing that Kani just wants to be loved by somebody.  You can tell Kani actually does value their friendship, and Miyako returns that feeling, though I think there is an underlying tension because both of them know their level of interest in Itsuki.  Miyako can't hide it that well, and Kani is not stupid.  Hopefully this doesn't end tragically, but I don't think there's another route.

It just dawned on me that this is basically Eromanga Sensei but without being written by a jackass.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:36:39 PM by TypicalIdiotFan »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »
3:

Self awareness.  The author for this LN also wrote the fan favorite Haganai, which is beloved about as much as it is found infamous because of Kodaka's obnoxious hearing problems.  Now, I am going to believe that this whole bit in the restaurant was Yomi Hisakawa deciding to admit to the world that "eh, nandatte?" is about the worst ****ing thing she's ever written, because she spends the better part of three minutes worth of dialogue making fun of herself for it.  The payoff is Kani giving head to a boiled egg, which is just about the most perfect way to top off any moment, frankly.

For some reason, it doesn't surprise me that Miyako can drink Itsuki under the table.  I don't know what that reason is, but it doesn't surprise me.  What also doesn't surprise me is that while there is certainly the possibility to give Itsuki a little romantic triangle or harem, because I think Miyako has a little thing of her own for the bastard, she's not the type who is going to take advantage of a drunk situation to pursue her own interests.  Instead, she probes for information, and Itsuki gives a slightly surprising response.  It shouldn't be that surprising considering how well Kanikou can suck an egg off, but y'know.

This vacation montage brought to you by A&W.  We got shitty burgers, shittier sides, and some really ****ing good root beer.  I can never think of root beer again without this little fun sequence from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.  I never thought about root beer much until Quark's little foray into allegorical carbonated beverages, but now I realize that while the Cardassian's opinion is dead ****ing wrong on the drink, he's also dead ****ing right.  It is vile.  It does also allow Kanikou to pretend she's drinking real beer, which is her reward for slobbering all over boiled baby chicken embryos.

Who knew Megalodon was tsundere?

And now we know what Itsuki's problem is.  He has realized his writing sucks, or more aptly that he isn't satisfied with it.  He has realized that Kanikou is a better writer than he is, and that Haruto is doing better than he is, and he knows what the problem is.  He's in a slump, a real bad one.  He seems to be skirting by right now on his previous projects, but he has zero inspiration for a new one.  These little sister plots he keeps writing are symptoms of his problem.  He isn't seriously trying to write a good "little sister" light novel at all, but he's submitting these things anyway probably because he has to try submitting things to his editor every so often, so he throws this rubbish at them, knowing it'll be rejected.  Maybe he doesn't even want to write anymore, but hasn't faced that reality himself.  In any event, he's suffering through a massive inferiority complex right now, and the worst part for him is that he's constantly being reminded of that inferiority by an attractive young girl who wont leave him alone, and who is also a better writer than he is.  Maybe that's why he can't let himself be with Kanikou.  He's afraid he'll resent her talent too much, and maybe resent her.  He doesn't want to do that.

Lastly, I don't know how they honestly think we can believe for two seconds that Chihiro isn't a girl.  UQ Holder at least plays up this trope and pokes fun at it, but here they're playing it straight and Itsuki has to be the stupidest person on the planet.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
4:

That ****ing synopsis.

I laughed all the way through the game explanations.  Not because she was making him do it, but because the intent of the scene was to make fun of the fact that Japanese game, LN, and other media, aren't very creative at coming up with titles.  They're experts at the whole "what it says on the box" trope.  It is almost like if the movie The Sixth Sense was actually titled "My Scared Little Kid Buddy Sees Dead People and For Some Reason Thinks That I Am Dead As Well".  Japan.

As an aside, **** chocolate stouts.  And apparently the A&W plug only lasted for one episode, because while that can certainly resembled an A&W Root Beer can, it didn't have any logos on it.  You gots to pay more if you want your shit advertised in this character drama, people.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »
UQ Holder at least plays up this trope and pokes fun at it, but here they're playing it straight and Itsuki has to be the stupidest person on the planet.

Episode 4 of UQ Holder;
Touta: Kuroumaru , how long for you to be heal.
 Kuroumaru : My wounds are healed. But it'll take time for my lower have to grow back.
Touta: I know, it's your dick.

You gots to pay more if you want your shit advertised in this character drama, people.

But they are advertising board games. I play some of the board games on the shelf. Like there is Dixit, Agricolar, I think there is Avalon or Glass Road. I think they could be playing Cavana last week. Have to re look. Sales of board games in 2016 hit 9.5 billion dollars. Maybe the producers played some of these games for 'research'.

And tax account  Ashley may be a middle age lady, but she's hot and willing to f**k with you. (Wish I could do the pitchooo censer sound effect here.)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
The thing is, despite the obvious dominatrix vibe they're going with her, every account I've met is just like her.  They're horrible people who make you feel terrible about what you do and when you do it, and they sit there and silently judge you without ever saying anything.  They're just not hot anime girls.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 05:56:26 AM »
Hashima 'ultimate works' sounds really clique to me. It's like the stuff you can find in most LN/manga/anime.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »
6:

Yomi Hirasaka, by my estimation, didn't have this kind of experience when Haganai was turned into an anime.  Maybe it was just me, but Haganai was fairly popular (enough to get a second season) and was received well.  It was only when Kodaka became the biggest pussy on the planet that things got ugly.  No, I think this episode's climax was more of a nod to some of his peers, people he has worked with and experienced this issue.  It is probably one of his fears as well, and ironically enough Imouto Sae Ireba Ii is not the prettiest high production value show I've ever seen.  I wouldn't classify it as horrible, though.

Still, this season's Just Because! had the original concept creator fretting because of production issues (which should turn up here pretty soon if the guestimates on production times at the time of his kvetching are correct), and we've all seen that ugly budget barren anime get produced off a light novel before.  I'm trying to think of the worst offenders off the top of my head, but I'm not sure I can right now.  Some recent VNs have gotten this treatment, too.

Anyway, there has been a lot of meta commentary done in this work, and a lot of frustration venting by Hirasaka in a similar vein as Gi(a)rlish Number but without the snark.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 02:42:49 AM »
8:

Fuwa and Miyako are going to annoy me eventually, aren't they?  The thing is, I think Kanikou actually knows Miyako's secret, and I don't think she cares that much.  That novel Kani wrote for her reveals a bit of her perception, though I suppose it could just be a coincidence that she wrote a novel about the man she loves ****ing her friend.  Kani is kind of weird like that.  Still, this friendship dynamic between them is easily the best female-female relationship I think I've seen in a long damn time in anime.  Hell, I am trying to remember the last time I saw two anime females actually have an earnest relationship with the same level of personal intimacy that Kani and Myaa have.  Anybody think of any?  I can't.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »
9:

*cough*

Um.  BluRay please.
Pages: [1]   Go Up