Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

January 22, 2018, 10:45:21 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) -the Beautiful World-  (Read 1530 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) -the Beautiful World-
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 01:41:21 AM »
9:

A collection of short stories about various (いろいろ) countries.  We got to see Shizu and Ti do some stuff, too.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 03:23:12 AM »
9. The end credits thing was cute. Made me smile.... well the whole show makes me smile

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
11:

We've come back to the beginning, where Kino began her journey, where her country was easily one of the worst incarnations seen so far, and an effective David Lynch bit of metaphor on growing up and what adulthood means.

Or, in a nutshell, an excuse to see loli Kino in all her adorableness.  Poor lass really hasn't grown much has she?

Offline Gadget

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2017, 06:08:31 AM »
I'm assuming the 'Great Surgery' is circumcision. And they make a big deal of FGM (Female genital mutilation) The whole 'disgrace to the family' thing. The way they make a joke of killing someone. They was killing is justified. It's just African/ Indian/ Pakistan/ Arab culture that is given a European surface. And once the adults are white European like people, it's even more disgusting than some illustrate black people. I'll end here before it's get too political.   

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
I think you're a bit late for that. ;D

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
I kind of forgot to keep up with this so I finished the series in one go today. Episodes 8 was nice and episode 9 was passable (the story about the virtue system was interesting,  and the cooking one was fun everything else was forgettable), but was kind of disappointed with 10 and 11 since they were re-adapted stories like episode 2, but didn't really add anything of particular significance. Was pretty confused with why they went with such a radically different design for the previous Kino.

Right here is weathered individual who hasn't lost his smile despite whatever hard ships he's dealt with during his travels. All stuff you can understand in a single glance. Not some prissy looking bishounen who looks like the type of person that's callused their hands before. I also don't really care for the idea of plopping these two stories alongside each other since it makes the Kino/Sakura parallel a little too on the nose for my liking. The fact that "Kind Country" was shown before the "Country of Adults" takes away from something I thought was special about these episodes. The fact that the 2003 anime ends with Kino witnessing the country be swept away by the lava flow made her reaction feel more poignant since we already knew just how similar her youth was to Sakura's and why she formed such an immediate connection with her. Kino's time with Sakura was both a nostalgic escape and also an idealized fantasy of what her home life should have looked like. With her death, Kino has failed to do what her predecessor did, save a child from the crushing burden of parental expectations and absurd societal customs. All this comes across more clearly if you know who Kino was first. Also, the visual came off as little over-the-top with the oppressive color palette and sneering men and women. The moment where Kino's father snaps at her should feel a lot more sudden but the direction gives off the vibe that something is fundamentally messed up with these adults moreso than we would assume.

Not terrible episodes, but disappointing in retrospect since these were effectively the last two Kino episodes of the series.

A bit of an irksome thing with this series is that it the stories that do include Kino are often ones where she's a major influence on the ongoing plot rather than someone just watching these countries reach/deal with whatever conclusion they've screwed themselves into with their bizarre customs. She's better off as an audience surrogate, that of course has her own opinions/interpretations but keeps them to herself until thinking things over with Hermes once she's on the road again. While she can function as a great central character (the 2nd episode of the 2003 was all Kino and was my favorite of all), Kino taking matters into her own hands is supposed to feel special. This series, however, seem to want to show off her gun at every possible opportunity. And that leads me to whatever we're supposed to call this week's abortion of a send-off.

Kino fighting off a pack of man-hating CG sheep was stupid on near surreal level and takes my previous complaint about over-emphasized gun action to an embarassing level. Not helping was the abundant CG, the way the sheep flew back as if blasted by a shot gun, or  the shitty 4th wall breaking Gintama impression at the end. Complete f***ing disaster.

My impression of this reboot has really dipped. What I've seen of Girl's Last Tour absolutely trounces this.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:31:44 PM by gedata »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2017, 12:47:59 AM »
12 (END?):

Well, I'm not going to feel bad about eating lamb ever again.  **** you, sheep.  That actually started out as a real Hitchcockian nightmare type story, where inexplicably an animal, perceived as being relatively harmless (unless you've actually encountered wild rams, in which case nobody would ever ****ing think that because wild rams are mean ****ers), turns into a violent and dangerous creature bent on human destruction.  The why wasn't important, just that Kino found herself thrust into something utterly odd and terrifying.  The idea of having our perceptions thrown about suddenly is what makes a really good horror story, because we take for granted that a sheep would just ignore you as you drive by on your motorcycle.  ****ing sheep.

I thought the series overall was highly enjoyable, but having never seen the original series, I don't have anything to contrast it to, which might be better for me, frankly.  Unlike Gedata there, I actually like that Kind Country comes before Adult Country, because it does force you to go back and realize what Kino's problem was at the end of Kind Country there.  At the time, you just think it is some kind of regret, but after watching her backstory, you know it is much worse.  Maybe, again, the perspective I have makes it work because I didn't know either thing going into this, but I don't know.

I liked it a lot, though I do find some of the stories to be a more provocative than others, and several of them just flat out wonky.  I guess you can only create so many bizarre scenarios before things start getting hamfisted or passe.  Hermes was the great constant, as a completely self absorbed inanimate object who really hates lying on its side.  No, really, stand him up already.

A solid 7.  I don't have a crapton of complaints except the disjointed nature of the storytelling and some pacing issues.  Otherwise it was fun times.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »
12: What in gods name did I just watch?

Good show, episode 11 should've been the end though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up