Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 15, 2017, 06:14:59 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) -the Beautiful World-  (Read 1024 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) -the Beautiful World-
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »
1:

Oh my God this is just dripping with atmosphere.  Since the plot seems to be made for an episodic nature, where Kino travels around like Kane in the Kung-Fu series, the important part of the entertainment value for this show will be in making sure the various places she visits are explorations of the abnormal.  You can't have her visit Harajuku (though that might be ****ing hilarious considering her general pragmatic approach to everything) because that is known and familiar and boring, so you have to invent places that are bizarre or fascinating, with different customs, beliefs, laws, societies, foods, people, or maybe even weird physical phenomenon.  This allows the author to create different concepts for what a country could be, for what humanity could be, and therefore the whole thing just oozes philosophical exploration.

The first episode hits us right away.  We here in the US might be able to understand this country a little better than some others, because of our attachment to self defense, firearms, and whatnot, and our laws that protect and some would argue, encourage those attachments.  In a country where it is not illegal to kill, it stands to reason that a traveler would be wary of such a place.  Kino is told that it is a "polite" country, but she is skeptical.  It shouldn't be surprising that the first person she meets on her way to this place is a rather obvious characterization of "frontier law" or maybe "outlaw justice".  He's dressed in a manner resembling an American Old West cowboy or the popularized image of one, and looks very American in a cynical sense of how Americans are depicted in anime.  He is purposely heading to this country to live out what he sees as freedom; the ability to be oneself and murder whenever you wish.  After Kino pragmatically refuses to aid the traveler, the climax of the story is set up.  This isn't unforeseeable, but what eventually happens is not.

I don't want to spoil it, because it is hideous, glorious, contradictory, and sensible.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to explore the highest ideal of the "armed society = police society" concept, or if it is something entirely unique just to these people.  Throughout the episode, we have a lingering sense of dread that there is a sickness here, but we didn't have a clue what that would result in.  Perhaps a better theme exploration is that correlation is not causation.  At the end, Kino encounters another traveler (dressed more like a desperado than the first guy, another obvious nod to the American Old West), whom she thinks will do just fine there.

Anyway, Kino herself is obviously intended to be nothing more than a portal for the audience into these worlds.  She isn't nihilistic or cynical, and has her own thoughts and feelings, and past, and reasons for what she does, but she isn't a judge.  Her duty is to simply observe and get involved only as needed.  The audience is the judge as to whether or not what we see is a good thing or a bad thing.  I think I can enjoy this anime immensely if it stays on this path.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) -the Beautiful World-
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

Anyway, Kino herself is obviously intended to be nothing more than a portal for the audience into these worlds.  She isn't nihilistic or cynical, and has her own thoughts and feelings, and past, and reasons for what she does, but she isn't a judge.  Her duty is to simply observe and get involved only as needed.  The audience is the judge as to whether or not what we see is a good thing or a bad thing.  I think I can enjoy this anime immensely if it stays on this path.

I have yet to watch the episode, mainly cause one of the reasons I love the original Kino(#3 on my 3x3) is the original art design, but very much yes. Kino(the character) represents a constant. The world she interacts with changes around her but she herself is static. Kino is the very definition of a "been there, done that" character. We, as viewers, are given but a glimpse into her journey. A journey which began years ago and she has already gone through the standard "this place is vastly different to my established worldview and how do I reconcile such". Kino, both herself and the narrate as a whole, offers just enough to prompt thoughts/conversation, while never really dictating a position.

I say because you mentioned having never seen the original series...you should.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
From what I understand, I wont need to.  This isn't a sequel, but a reboot, so they're going to do many of the stories already covered again.  The next episode is title Colosseum, which many commenters on C-Roll have mentioned was already done in the original series.

So aside from contrasting art styles or the differences in the voice acting, I don't know what I would gain by watching the original at this point.  I suppose I could in that "the original was better" kind of way, but I don't see a need to do that right this second.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »
My saying you should watch the original was in no way motivated so you could have a better understanding of this current series. I say you should watch the original cause it is genuinely fantastic and clearly both of us waste our time keeping up with currently airing shows. So, whether you watch current shows with the mindset that "this could be great" or "this could be shit, and that can be amazing", why not just spend an hour gwtting invested in an accepted classic? Episode one of OG Kino is meh but episode 2 is one the best. Get off your ass. I can wait for your responses regarding Two Car, Blend S and w/e shit show this season I posted about.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »
I know it wasn't supposed to be taken this way, but this episode made a better argument for lax gun laws than the NRA could ever hope to do.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »
The quote is from Heinlein.  The scene is lifted almost directly from one of his most famous SF novels, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (1966), where every Lunie simultaneously pointed a weapon at the idiot tourist. Like in the novel the weapons were mostly crossbows (guns are dangerous in a pressurized environment), and the women and the old were actually more dangerous in 'solving' the situation than the able bodied men.  I'm rather surprised Heinlein didn't get any attribution.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »
I know it wasn't supposed to be taken this way, but this episode made a better argument for lax gun laws than the NRA could ever hope to do.

Possibly, but I don't think this has anything to do with weaponized societies.  It seems more like a contradiction to me:  the murderers murder in order to stop murder.  We're led to believe that this is the only time anybody is allowed to kill someone else without punishment, so if someone steals something or jaywalks, they're not going to die.  It might be a better argument for capital punishment against severe crimes.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
In Heinlein's version there was an impromptu trial organized on the spot, with witnesses and a nominated judge.  The idiot tourist was let off with a warning. Needless to say he never did it again (and in fact he later became a major citizen in helping the Lunies' side during the revolution).
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 01:07:22 AM »
Well, these guys apparently know scum when they see one.  That face tattoo alone was a capital offense.

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »
1:

I had to wait a second before starting this because I was terrified it wouldn't live up to my expectations. I've been waiting a good 14 years for a new Kino's Journey so I had high hopes, and while maybe this first episode didn't reach all of them I'm so pleased with this new adaptation. Aside from obvious differences in art (which really look more faithful to the illustrations of the light novel than the first anime), one thing that was a minor disappointment was the music. It's a nice soundtrack, I really enjoyed the piano piece in particular, but everything felt a little too uptempo(?) compared to the first? Starting at about 1:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=703_Lm6KWzE

This piece was the musical foundation of the original in my opinion, and it evoked this sense of calm that carried the series even in its most climatic moments, never really making one feel tense in spite of all of the calamity. I've been rewatching a handful of episodes since I watched this one, and I haven't watched all of them again so I can't say entirely, but I feel like the original generally chose silence for their climatic or epic scenes. I'll have to rewatch more to say for sure.

Anyway that music issue sums up the only real issue I have with this new season so far, namely that it's not understated enough, but that's pretty petty and I'm sure if the rest of the episodes are as strong as this one I'll adjust to the change of direction. My one concern right now is that the next episode is a redo of one from the original series. I'm hoping that they're doing this just because the story introduces one of the few stable characters in the light novel besides Kino and Hermes, but I'll be disappointed if they do a number of episodes that were already adapted in the original because I want more storylines adapted from the original light novel in this one cour (?) anime. I will be ecstatic if this ends up being another multi-season slice of life though. I don't know how long the light novels went on for but I think there's enough source material to do at least one or two seasons after this.

Offline gedata

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:34:39 AM »
My one concern right now is that the next episode is a redo of one from the original series. I'm hoping that they're doing this just because the story introduces one of the few stable characters in the light novel besides Kino and Hermes, but I'll be disappointed if they do a number of episodes that were already adapted in the original because I want more storylines adapted from the original light novel in this one cour (?) anime. I will be ecstatic if this ends up being another multi-season slice of life though. I don't know how long the light novels went on for but I think there's enough source material to do at least one or two seasons after this.

Here's a list of episode titles. From these alone we can tell that one other story already adapted in the 2003 anime will be here, and that's the Country of Adults. Perfectly reasonable since it'll give the audience a look at how Kino ended up the kind of person she is now. The Coliseum story being redone isn't something I'm particularly interested in since it really has no reason to be here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:20:55 PM by gedata »

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
Yeah I would definitely expect that episode to be there because it's one of the most important in defining Kino's character. I think they're doing the Coliseum one because the guy with the dog is a recurring character in the novels and they may want to utilize it more in the show. I'm happy to hear those are the only two being redone! I really hope that some of the episodes will be a medley of stories like in the first season (episodes 3, 5, and 11).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »
2:

I have heard grumblings already by people who have seen the 2003 series; they don't like this episode because it took a two part episode and condensed it to one, leaving out a lot of the backstories of the other competitors.  I'm not sure this is really a big thing to harp about.  It is clear that there are only two characters who are important here for both the immediate and long term plans, and that's Shizu and Kino.  The rest may have been interesting, and maybe some more lengthy action fights would have been nice, but is it really that important?  I enjoyed this episode exactly as it was, because there were two main themes:  revenge and being the instrument of that revenge.  The former, as Kino points out, is ludicrous, but the latter is far more interesting, because it reflects on Kino herself.

She was used.  By the time she got in and started hearing of the colosseum she knew she'd been used.  The rules of the country also preyed upon people like her, and the person who sent her there.  She knew then that she was the instrument of someone's revenge.  She was sent there not just to kill the King who started this, but to destroy the whole country that supported it.  And she did.  Without hesitation, without reservation, without condemning nor condoning.  She could have yielded at any time and been on her way.  If they didn't accept her yield, she could have just done what she did and kept going until someone accepted.  She wasn't really in any danger and she knew that.  But Kino kept going, forcing others to submit instead of killing them, because they weren't her target.  She had one person to kill, and used and abused the system itself ironically to do it.  But she wasn't done there.  She purposely turned the whole kingdom against itself, and by doing so triggered a mass murdering spree / purge that she is directly responsible for.  By the end of this, Kino has more blood on her hands than many villains.

And by the lake side, she vented her anger by throwing stones.  Was she angry at the lady who wanted revenge?  Was she angry at the country for making her go through this?  Was she angry for being used as an instrument of someone else's revenge?  Or was she angry at herself for going along with all of it?  Does Kino believe she has the power, or the right, to refuse doing another person's dirty work?  It is a fascinating glimpse into her soul.  I said in the last episode that she isn't a judge, just a portal for the audience.  This episode was a little more than that.  Kino exposed her flaws to us.  It made her more interesting as a character.

Also a dog talks.

As a little subtle note a the end, Shizu refers to Kino as "Kino-kun" until after Kino makes that snide comment about galavanting with strange men.  The dog whispers something to Shizu, who then refers to her as "Kino-san" instead.  You might fool the audience with "bokus" and androgyny, but not a dog's nose.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 11:52:46 PM »
It seems every 'country' has an anti-Titan wall. I would sure like to see post Trump anti-Mexico wall when Kino drop by Unite States

Offline gedata

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »
I personally don't really care all that much about how this episode was severely cut-down in comparison to the 2003 counterpart really since I've only just rewatched that series in preparation for this one a couple of months ago. The only thing didn't like about this was how the King had all the scenes in which he wasn't just some pompous prop entirely removed so it was a lot less gratify to see his head blown to bits this time around. That said, I forgot the real reason why this was included at all, the fact this is where in the novels Shizu was introduced, and that's a bit of a big deal going forward.

By the end of this, Kino has more blood on her hands than many villains

Not really. The fact that they actually went through with her laws when they could've just easily rejected them isn't on Kino. It's not her fault that the people she comes across in these countries are extreme representations of bizarre ideas.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up