Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 02:06:22 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou  (Read 751 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
1:

Obligatory Made in Abyss comparison.

Based on that flashback seems only our 2 leads have the 4-koma designs

While clearly lacking the Ghibli background art this episode managed to be both incredibly charming and captivating. I enjoyed the characters as well as  the dynamic they shared. There were enough drops about world building which not only demanded my immediate attention but also allowed me to speculate possibilities. The atmosphere was gripping. The directing was fluid. Honestly, it felt like I was watching an episode of Kino(more so if you consider the personalities of the leads). A solid opener to say the least. Strongest show thus far.

Also, I need to finally watch past episode 3 of Made in Abyss.

EDIT: They also seemed to attempt the SukaSuka "Scarborough Fair" insert song.
          Also, the director was involved in So Ra No Wo To. Go figure.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:07:08 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

Re: Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »
1:

I was intrigued the minute the blond girl pulled her gun on the other girl to take her food. That is not something I expect from my slice of life shows (especially after being converted to the Aria cult), and it made me much more interested in watching the rest. The fact that they literally look like moe blobs also helps make the contrast between their interactions and the dour world around them. Let's see how it goes.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:24 PM »
Interesting. It seems like the scenario is either the cold war went hot, ending in nuclear winter, or WW2 didn't end in 1945 and just kept going. The minigun they find and the Tu-95 they are climbing around on at the end suggests the former, but the Type 97 Chi-Ha they find suggests the latter. Then again, they are in what looks like a giant weapons graveyard, there's a variety of tanks, planes and ships(!) there, maybe whatever conflict went on was that bad that they pulled out anything that had a gun.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
1,2:

Hmm... very intriguing.

Firstly, I'm not sure what exactly happened to this world. The only thing we know is that there was a big war, and it apparently caused the entire world to perish. Well, except for these two girls out of some miracle. Basically, we're looking at two girls trying to survive day to day.

Nothing happens... yet it's interesting and I didn't understand why.

At first I was wondering why the girls can't read Japanese, and it turns out they have a different language. So, even civilization perished along the way? They barely know what fish and chocolate are; does that mean the world has become so bleak that they don't even now what these basic things are?

I was slowly wondering what was drawing me to this show... and then I got it. Zeitgeist compared this to Made In Abyss, and that's valid since the artwork is similar. But to me, from the onset this show reminds me of another: Wall-E, my favorite Pixar movie of all time.

Why? It's the show's sheer juxtaposition of things. Two girls trying to survive, but seems more to be having an enjoyable field trip in a world that is essentially dead (notice how even plant life is nowhere to be seen). A glimmer of hope in a hopeless world. An ugly yet beautiful world. Moments of poignancy and intimacy in a passive world.  And yes, there are only two characters in this show (a little too much like Wall-E?).

My only question is, where will the story lead to? Are they really going to find other people in their endless journey towards wherever they're heading, or is this show just going to be about them living day to day without any closure? It's really a toss-up at this moment.

I'm intrigued.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:20:19 AM »
Forget the whole cold war thing, I'm definitely getting some underhive vibes from the scenery. Looks like humanity ran out of space and literally concreted over the top of everything, cities, bodies of water whatever and it's been like this for quite some time so much so that entire civilisations have risen and fallen in the meantime. Hence the sense of wonder when they come across something as mundane as a fish, cause Chito and Yuu have probably never even seen a natural river before. Hell, I'm now wondering if they've ever seen actual dirt before, they might never have been down to the original ground level if the sort of multi-level city we saw in 2 is the new norm. That would also explain why they got so lost in that old industrial building, it might extend several hundred metres up and down.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »
3:

A few things confirmed: like what Major Tom said, civilizations essentially build on top of each other so newer stuff is always on higher levels. That's why fish and natural stuff are alien to the girls, but not things like cigarettes.

But where the hell did Kanazawa get enough explosives to blow up that buildings? And for successfully toppling a building to prepare a makeshift bridge like that... he's not some average joe.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »
3:

Well, now we know there are other people still alive out there.  This episode does bring up two rather important questions, though:  where ARE they going, and why do they fear strangers as though they're soldiers in a war still?

How long have these two been out of touch with the rest of humanity?
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 02:48:50 AM »
4:

Cheese is nonexistent and alien in this world, even when its flavor remains. This is Hell.

Very intriguing to see this episode tackling the relevance of God. Many things can go extinct but faith can remain even when there are no worshipers anymore. The need to believe in a metaphysical being is very human; even if the world ends, humans need a reason to live and that in itself can take many forms. "Why the need to make all of this even everything's fake" is surprisingly a deep question.

In fact, even the teasing questions at the end ("Are we gods then?") can be surprisingly profound if you think about it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
This is a weird show, to be sure.  I keep wondering what the eventual point is, but I have to wonder even more at how few people there are around.  Where did the guy from the last episode come from?  He never said.  Was he just like they were, in a random part somehow avoiding whatever killed everybody else and now is just milling about the place?  This world is so odd on a lot of levels.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:05:16 PM »
5:

Total breather episode, which is fascinating because we didn't have anything in 4 requiring us to take a breather.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 06:27:12 AM »
5:

Really, "house"? That's pretty sad.

But it kinda raises the question: when (or why) did humans decide to stop being nomadic - like these girls - and be sedentary (by building houses)? Kinda makes you wonder how the world decided to go backwards and the girls having to rediscover civilization.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:29:53 AM »
6:

I actually gasped when the plane fell apart.  I didn't think they were going to tear our hearts out like that, but it fit thematically with the episode and the overall show's bleak atmosphere, so I guess I can't complain too much.  Plus Ishii survived, but now I want to know what's on the lowest level.  Ishii is about to find out, but we're not going with her.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
Why is everybody so clam. Is this what preppers call SHTF situation? Must be the air, water and food. And knowing Yuuri that eats more, maybe that is why is the more carefree of the two. Or she's more stupid.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 02:39:54 AM »
8:

I'll have what they're having.

No seriously, whatever this "beeu" is amazes me.  A beverage that captures the light of the moon in liquid form and somehow doesn't go flat ever even after God knows how many years it has been bottled but is totally not alcohol you guys because these main characters look underage and aren't allowed to drink at all.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »
7-8:

I'm pretty sure that huge containers says 'powder' in Sino-Japanese character, and Chii is able to read it easily. Yet in earlier episodes, she couldn't read Japanese and even writes in a different one. Why the inconsistency in language?

I just wonder: did the world experience a neutron bomb fallout? Still no idea where everybody went.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up