Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 07:56:36 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Net-juu wo Susume (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)  (Read 1003 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Net-juu wo Susume (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »
1:

I don't know how many times I have to say this before it sinks in, but there is absolutely NOTHING interesting about watching an anime about people playing an MMO.  Playing MMOs is fun if you're retarded.  Watching other people play MMOs can be fun if you're retarded.  Watching fictional characters play MMOs is not fun at all whether you're retarded or not.

I am HOPING that this will go beyond that, and inevitably be about how the players interact with each other both in and out of the game, which is about the only thing you can get from this which WOULD be interesting.  This first episode, though, aside from a brief and unimportant encounter between the two players who are friends in game and the one guy who is obviously the guild master, we didn't get any of it.  What we know is that our main girl, voiced by the ever delightful Mamiko Noto, is no longer employed (by choice, she says), and has escaped into the net game "Fruit de mer" (which is French for "seafood", take that in whatever way you wish), where she meets up with the ultra kind Lily, becomes friends, joins a guild, struggles with the game, yadda yadda, Christmas comes along, wants to do something nice... blah blah blah.

Look, I can see where this is going, because you'd have to be a leg of chicken to not, so what I am curious about isn't so much how these two get to forming their romance in and / or out of the game, but whether or not there will be frank discussions about the personas of people online vs offline, whether or not 2D character love transcends 3D taboos (such as our heroine actively falling for a cute GIRL* character as a GIRL* herself), and how people live their lives.  I think .Hack is the only show that really delved into this more than the RPG elements itself, with the majority of the rest of MMO featured anime just ignoring it and using it as a backdrop for something else (SAO was an exception for exactly one arc, then played it straight and it was boring as ****).  I'm not hopeful, though, because right now we have the same superficial setup as Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko Janai to Omotta?, but with a slightly less obvious obnoxious otaku harem pandering tone.

I don't know how much of this I can take, though, if they're not going to deviate into anything profound.

* "Guy In Real Life" and "Girl In Real Life" respectively.  It is easy to confuse the two.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Net-juu wo Susume (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »
1:

Are they into one another in-game cause they RP mad hard or because they're both gay? If it is just "they both like cute things" then way to blow the only point of interest your show may have had.

Sexuality and relationship aside, this show falls into all the other lazy trappings that every video game anime does - the game is shit and no real person would ever actually play it. Then there is all the bullshit which makes no sense cause what we are actually seeing is game characters interacting with other game characters. Why would this free to play MMO have animations where one character initiates a hime carry when another character is falling at arm height? There were an infinite number of small animations and such which would never exist within an actual game or at the very least would not be as fluid as they were presented. Why did the players appear drunk when consuming alcohol in-game?  I can only take this as the players are all RP'ing so hard that they are both perceiving the character animations as though they were real and acting as though the alcohol had affected them.  Which, while it does introduce some element of intrigue, will go unmentioned and untouched.

Main Girl was cute IRL.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Where is the facial scanning VR helmet that will put your real face in your avatar  like in SAO?

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:10:43 PM »
there is absolutely NOTHING interesting about watching an anime about people playing an MMO.  Playing MMOs is fun if you're retarded.  Watching other people play MMOs can be fun if you're retarded.  Watching fictional characters play MMOs is not fun at all whether you're retarded or not.

The hottest of takes.

1:

I'm not as disposed against MMOs, but there really wasn't much here. At this point, the only romance anime I'm interested in are ones with interesting characters or at least characters that have fun interactions with each other. There was no chemistry here between the leads or the supporting cast, all of their interactions were either generic or bland. It really wasn't even funny or quirky. My biggest complement I can give is that there was more chemistry here than in .hack/Sign (which I had the misfortune of watching this summer), but .hack/sign was incredibly dull so that's not high praise. There are better uses of my time.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:02 AM »
Why aren't these guys on VOIP yet? Seems like quite some time passes in the first episode. Be easier to play in a guild on voice comms than over text.

First impressions.....this isn't very interesting. The short IRL segment when we met Lily's.......person did pique my interest for a bit, so if they do more of the IRL stuff than the game (which is a pretty boring fantasy game by the looks of it) then it might get better. I'll give it a couple more episodes and see where it goes.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:37:45 AM »
****, most multiplayer games have built in voice chat now.  Since every gaming company wants to maximize profits, they know they have to make their games work on consoles.  MMOs are horrible for this, because consoles don't usually employ keyboards, which is how most online people communicate.  Since consoles subsist almost entirely on voice chat, blammo.

In fact, I have come to the conclusion that the main thing ruining game development these days is trying to make them for consoles when they just don't ****ing work.  But I digress.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 05:59:03 PM »
2:

That was better, and it does seem like they're going to do the more interpersonal relationship part of MMOing than the MMOing itself, which is fine.  Actually, what this episode showed, more than anything, is that Moriko isn't a lost cause, like most NEETs are usually depicted in shows.  She's still responsible, she's not a social retard, and she has consideration for others.  I was expecting her to be a lot worse than what we have seen so far, and it is ****ing refreshing that she isn't.  In fact, because she isn't, we now have this secondary development where the two are going to meet and possibly become friends offline, but they still don't know who each other is yet.  Of course, this whole thing could be solved with a five minute honest conversation, but for now it is okay to have some predictable stupidity so long as the plot takes it somewhere.  So far, it seems to want to, so I'll give it a chance.  It might be an interesting kind of ironic romance story if it goes that route.

I think we also got a clue as to why Moriko walked away from working society.  There are a lot of people who see the 9 to 5 working world as a bad thing for the soul, and she seems to have recognized that being part of a machine day in and day out, working really hard but not feeling any kind of personal satisfaction is not the life she wants.  I can respect that, I guess, but usually people like that seek out a new life for themselves in a different career.  Open up their own business maybe, or try something completely different, or just move out to the country and live a simpler life.  She has decided to become a NEET who plays MMOs.  Not the greatest solution, but once I have done myself after a job of mine went south.  Did it for a whole year, until I realized that sitting around playing games eating up my savings was pretty damned boring.  Maybe she isn't long for this kind of slacker lifestyle either, though she has been at this for a while now (we've had some lengthy time skips), but I could see her moving on and into something more rewarding eventually.  Maybe that's what this all is.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »
1:

Yeah, I get where this show is going.

Woman wants to be a NEET (not sure why), but finds romance and social life on the internet. And to spice things up, it's a role reversal where the woman plays a male character, and the counterpart is the opposite. Premise-wise, it's barely enough to make this show interesting... but I don't feel so at all. There's something really flat about the overall execution... something very listless about the whole show. In short, it's just boring.

It's not as stupid as NGNL, a show that shamelessly glorifies NEET lifestyle. This show just plays it cool, but my interest isn't piqued enough. Plus, this seasons has quite a number of other interesting shows.

Not following this one.

Offline SQA

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 01:19:08 AM »
****, most multiplayer games have built in voice chat now.  Since every gaming company wants to maximize profits, they know they have to make their games work on consoles.  MMOs are horrible for this, because consoles don't usually employ keyboards, which is how most online people communicate.  Since consoles subsist almost entirely on voice chat, blammo.

In fact, I have come to the conclusion that the main thing ruining game development these days is trying to make them for consoles when they just don't ****ing work.  But I digress.

I get the feeling that a lot of the Japanese & Korean MMOs still don't have voice chat. It's a standard feature on pretty much everything in the West these days. Or an easy place to put your Discord chat link. Though I'm still trying to figure out the target demographics for the "MMO player Anime", since the Japanese really aren't computer people. They live & die by their phones, but they've never really "done" Personal Computers.

Mind you, very soon they will be "doing" their PCs, but that's just Japanese things.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »
3:

So, are they not going to keep up the two-lives story aspect where the two get to know each other outside the game without knowing that they're friends inside the game?  I thought that would be a really cool dynamic, if they could keep it going long enough that I wouldn't find it way too plot contrived after a while.  I do find it interesting that he checked up on Morioka's work history, and the story that his buddy had about her was a pretty good look into her situation and why she burned out hard in the working world.  She was a good worker.  She's not a "NEET" by definition.  You can't be if you have some kind of education or employment training, which she obviously has.  She just might be what Japan needs right now:  a good hard look into their labor practices and just how much it is killing them inside.

Not that it'll help.  The movie Gung Ho did the same thing and it changed precisely dick, but whether anybody in Japan saw that movie is another story.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 11:33:25 PM »
4:

TOO SOON TOO SOON TOO SOON!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 07:12:06 AM »
With a telephone voice like veteran voice actress Mamiko Noto, no wonder the boys wants to date Moriko Morioka.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 12:24:56 AM »
With a telephone voice like veteran voice actress Mamiko Noto, no wonder the boys wants to date Moriko Morioka.

Best comment.  Imagine this being spoken like in those bad old infomercials.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »
I'll admit that if my customer support help line was voiced by Mamiko Noto I would break shit just to call more often.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
2:

I really like Lilac(?). She is adorable

The segment about the horrors of being a corporate drone was surprisingly well done

3:

Seems i'd llike the show more if it just dropped the MMO conceit entirely.
What was with Main Dude having a dossier on Main Girl? His casual interest is a bit much

I swear to God if they are each others' old gaming buddy I'm gonna be upset.

4:

The emote text bubbles(clapping, sweating) were a nice touch
Himerlda playing Fatty(since they are married irl) was also a nice touch

So Main Dude was indeed going full stalker.

We're really getting a full reverse-harem with Main Dude, Main Dude's CO-worker, and also Store Clerk.

And I was just thinking how I surprisingly didn't mind them not being aware of each others' online persona.

5:

Co-worker is just being a douche. He is actively lording his date with Main Girl over Main Dude while knowing Main Dude has an interest in Main Girl. Oh, guess he was just wing-manning it up.

Clerk was Kanbe?
We are reaching Fuuka levels of forced character-relations. Fun spoilers for Fuuka: There was this popular underground pop-punk band that was liked by MC and Main Girl. Somehow, every character is linked to this band. The homeroom teacher was a former member. The kid who hassles Main Girl(he later joins the band made by MC and Main Girl) is the younger brother of that band's drummer. MC is obsessed with twitter and uses it like AIM despite having like 2 followers. One of his 2 follows happens to be a schoolmate and is also the younger sister of that band's guitarist(she also joins MC's band). Main Girl is named Fuuka. She abruptly gets hit by a ****ing truck and straight dies. This sends MC into a spiraling depression which he only gets over after meeting a new cute girl who not only has short-hair like now dead Main Girl but is also named Fuuka. AND, it turns out that the guy who was driving the truck that killed OG Fuuka is the father of New Fuuka. Point is, Fuuka sucks and all the characters have some convoluted forced relation to one another that is just ridiculous.

5500 yen? God Damn.
It is Gamers all over again. Why cut your hair when it conveyed such personality?

Up. Turns out he was a just a douche? What even happened? Was Co-worker lying about setting up the date for Main Dude? Did Main Girl get the date wrong?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up