Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 09:37:13 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ancient Magus' Bride  (Read 233 times)

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

The Ancient Magus' Bride
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
1:

This is everything I had hoped it would be. The setting, the tone, and the characters all provide a marvelous sense of wonder and mystery.   

Wit Studio is doing a worthy adaptation, particularly with the shot composition and backgrounds.

In a recent interview Kore Yamazaki explained her creative process in writing the manga, "I don't know if I'm thinking of the plot development consciously or if it's just flowing out of my head. I think of the direction for myself, and the characters talk to me as I'm writing the story."   That is the best kind of writing.  (Yamazaki's other major work is Frau Faust, which is also worth a read.)
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: The Ancient Magus' Bride
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
1:

Quite entrancing, actually. I expected this to feel overly familiar to western fantasy, honestly, but it doesn't ... or at least for the most part. They say this show evokes a sense of wonder and such, but by now we've all seen enough of these creatures, and this aesthetic, that this isn't wondrous in a surprising way. I woudn't really use the word wonder to describe this.
This is familiar enough that we all have had practice transporting ourselves to this kind of world. This feels like one of those wishing well children's stories, except vastly more mature.

This is comfort food of the highest degree. In a very odd way, it reminds me of when I first watched fullmetal alchemist, actually.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:30:51 PM by Pebble »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:01:06 AM »
1:

Hm, I think the OAVs kind of ruined something for me on this.  I don't remember there being any silliness in those exhibition episodes, but here we have a couple of moments with some off-model faces designed to show more lighthearted moments and... it was jarring.  If the manga was like this, okay, but I'm not sure I like it.  I was hoping for a pure straight laced modern fantasy, I guess.  It isn't a deal breaker, it just bugged me a bit.  I'll get used to it.

Obviously this world is supposed to be alien and abnormal to us.  The auction they were at was not just for magic beings, and Elias was recognized for the unusual sort he actually was, though he was known.  So magic is a known commodity, but as Elias mentions, it is rare now.  The auction itself was already foreign enough, and though human slavery and underworld antics still exist today despite all of our best efforts to stamp it out, it remains the providence of those in power and money to continue to operate outside the rules because they can.  Without this, though, Chise wouldn't find herself in the fortunate, albeit disturbing, situation she's in now.

As for the show, it is gorgeous, and full of atmosphere.  I'm loving the little bits and pieces drizzled everywhere by the animators in the backgrounds and the side shots just to give us things to look at.  There is a lot of creativity going into this, and a lot of love, so I'm happy I get to see it.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »
I don't remember there being any silliness in those exhibition episodes, but here we have a couple of moments with some off-model faces designed to show more lighthearted moments and... it was jarring.  If the manga was like this, okay, but I'm not sure I like it.  I was hoping for a pure straight laced modern fantasy, I guess.  It isn't a deal breaker, it just bugged me a bit.  I'll get used to it.

This is the bit that reminded me of fullmetal alchemist.

Except that, unlike FMA, I think there is a good reason for this silliness to be here, because since this looks to be something of a coming of age story, ostensibly Chise's rehabilitation from being a tortured recluse should be a big part of the show's structure, and I don't think a humorless approach helps that story element.
In fact this show is "slice of life" in a more classical sense than we understand for anime, in that there is an underlying story told through largely episodic, "mundane" events. They aren't 'truly' mundane because magic, but they are part of the everyday pedestrian realities of Elias' life.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:26:02 PM »
To jump on that train a bit, it also does work in endearing Elias to the audience by turning him into a giant moeblob. I imagine a chunk of the potential audience for this manga/show were turned off by Elias' giant skull for a head, so by putting him in SD form it adds levity to a character that could be unnerving for some.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 12:49:50 AM »
No amount of super deformity is going to make that thing not creepy.  I know that, part of the point, is that we're supposed to eventually not worry about it as we get to know Elias and his "humanity", which actually makes it worse in my opinion to go goofy with him.  Let him be strange, weird, and let the audience deal with it over time.

Meh.  I'm just whining.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
2:

This is more like it, though that bit at the end there sure escalated quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up