Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 08:30:31 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garo: Vanishing Line  (Read 149 times)

Offline Gadget

Garo: Vanishing Line
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:13:54 AM »
Something new, something old. For starters, it's not feudal japan or some medieval Europe. It's more like New York/Sin City. Has a twist to it, as well some stuff from other anime. Like the bike is Orange County Choppers version of Kaneda's bike from Akira. Dragging the sword to produce sparks is like the gang war in Akira. Sword in Garo's armor is like Ash Roller from Accel World. And Zaruba looks like Void from Berserk with Motohead's mascot mustache. I though it would would have a Mospeda like transformation. But it still uses magic circle to put on the Garo armour.

Sword reminds me of Germán Luis from the first Garo's animation. Over size, and a pervert. But with skills to back up his brag. Nice to see  Rie Kugimiya take another NON Tsundere role. It took inspiration from other sources and made it it's own. Hopefully, they may come up with their own inspiration.

It wasted no time for some action. Maybe it's episode 1 to get out attention. I think it will slow down.

So far, it's all action. A bit to the darker side. But it need to tell a story. So I'll be waiting for episode 2.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Garo: Vanishing Line
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:24 AM »
1:

"Now this is anime"
     -me, said of the opening scene
"I have a headache"
     -me, said after the full episode

I love the asethitic this show has goin' but my god the camera shake during action sequences will be the death of me.
Tentatively hopeful.

Just when I was lamenting the loss of a Rie Kugimiya character(Konbini Karashi) here she is this season.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:58:26 PM »
1:

Shingeki no Bahamut levels of cool, but not really much story yet.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:39:40 AM »
Episodic story. High level of cool. Like the sniper bullet. I can't believe that you can reload by flicking a bullet into the chamber.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
2:

The writing is not very good.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:30 AM »
I don't remember the writing ever being stellar for Garo.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 03:22:34 AM »
1,2:

Meh.

From the onset, I got Devil May Cry vibes from this show... and certainly, it's very much so. It's pretty clear what the show is all about: a straight-up action show with bland characters and villains with zero personality. Main hero is a boorish, hard-hitting but warm-hearted rebel with no respect for subtlety or public property. His partner? The direct opposite. Pair this odd couple up with a damsel in distress and a talking ring, and later on, a femme fatale. Finish it off with a Villain of Week trope.

Is this cool? Actually, it's trying so hard to be cool that it's not. Those sleek action sequences? Way over-zealous. The only thing I give thumbs up is the art style: Madhouse-style art for the win, always.

But no, this show already bores me to death. Pass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up