Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 02:06:14 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Because!  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Gadget

Re: Just Because!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 09:05:39 PM »

Poor Mio, she doesn't even understand what she's feeling anymore.

You mean like that Eita still could like her? And now she going to have a misunderstanding cause she saw Eita with photography girl. I think Komiya is pretty conflicted herself.

And it's getting painful (and fun) to see them spiraling to nowhere.

edit
Never spring a surprise confession to a girl that cannot take a hint.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:25:12 AM by Gadget »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 04:02:07 AM »
I don't know if Mio consciously knows whether Komiya and Eita are an item, but the fact that she feels something whenever she sees the two together yet she doesn't understand what it is... that's rough.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
6: Natsume is really trying my patience with how wishy washy she is written. It'd be fine if there was anything else to grab onto with her character but ultimately there's nothing to her. The saddest part is she's really the only girl they give any screen time. The drama in this show is far too forced with having all 3 love interests suddenly paying attention to the two playing baseball again at the same time.

Ultimately the biggest failing of this show is too much focus is given to the characters feelings without properly defining the characters for who they are first.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:54:51 PM by hyperknees91 »

Offline Gadget

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 07:45:22 AM »
What the hell 'No'? Knowing that Eita got the hots for you and you only got your eyes on baseball boy, and now photo girl want to date Eita and you say no? Now that baseball boys got a chance with band girl, and Eita now  is back up boy?

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
7: Essentially yes. Natsume is such a shit character, but Eita really isn't much better.

Look I'm ok with the main character being obsessed with her I guess, but really nothing really shows why he is so obsessed other than...."Just Because" (yes you are allowed to shoot me for that). Like honestly, it's kinda pathetic in a sense. This is turning into KimiKiss.

I'll probably finish it up but this episode in general just made me want to drop the show. Just really cheap ways to garner sympathy for both girls from the director here. Like Natsume gets the short end of the stick? When has that ever been present in this show until Eita has to say it for us? The cop thing was stupid as well, but at least it was over quick and easy.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 01:50:03 PM »
8 : And the show is self aware that what Eita is doing is moronic. Doesn't make it any less stupid.

Natsume once again displays how shit her character is. First you say "no" and then you proceed...to do absolutely nothing about it. Like cmonnnnn do something do anything. But nope just gonna continue to mope...probably until the very last episode.

Komiya, Haruto and Morikawa make this show somewhat tolerable but god dang.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »
2:

Was the triangle necessary? The purposeful pacing and meaningful scene composition remains so I dont even mind. This production has established that it knows what it is doing.

This guys is playing at high level - get in with the sibling. It not only shows a paternal instinct but those rugrats will sing your praises all day long.
I cant tell how old these God Damn'd kids are. I was waffling between 5 and 10. Seeing as one tripped and began to cry I guess they are closer to 5.

I like that Morikawa's female friend seems to be onboard the ship. We don't need any more plotlines. Though it could just as easily be that she herself likes Kuwabara.

3:

I like Photo-chan.
I am curious if Natsume, through her own actions, is going to wind up a non-entity.

Why are they still using the same group chat conversation?

Why the **** is the dog's name Kevin?

4:

I'm glad Natsume was called out regarding her exams. Frankly I was tired of hearing about them.
Not looking forward to that one friend of Natsume starting shit with Morikawa

5:

To school we go...or not.
Kuwabara conveniently finds his post-school legs.

I'll always dislike the "turns down date cause 'I don't know you'" thing. Accepting a date isnt accepting a marriage proposal. Dating is the process by which you come to know someone. Though I will say it is very much true to their age. This very obvious realization isnt had by most until you are old enough to have spontaneous encounters with strangers and your pool of potential social interactions isn't defined solely by those you were assigned to be near for hours a day(school). When you are of college age or have joined the work-force you will start to have an infinite number of small instances where you interact without someone as your life doesnt consist of just waking up, going to school, and then coming home. You'll get gas, or buy groceries, or simply take a walk. Every time you leave your house you're exposing yourself to an opportunity to meet someone...I think you get the point. Though Morikawa is justified in that she will be leaving for college in the coming months, but her rejection was primarily framed from the whole lack of knowing him angle. None of this is much of anything since this doesnt seem to be the show's actual position

6:

Photo-chan just makes me smile. Both herself and all of her scenes are as if they are from an entirely different narrative. I honestly don't know why her character exists. Her inclusion seems token, as if this were a visual novel adaptation and they were including parts of her route despite Natsume's being the one they were adapting. Photo-chan is completely divorced from the established friend group. Her scenes occur in literal isolation. She may as well be a figment of Izumi's imagination. Though it is really going to crush me when genki Photo-chan is all sad and shit.

Eavesdropping. Everyone's favorite narrative short-hand.

I am interested to see how Natsume will play out. She is looking to be the loser for Kuwabara and I want to see how she will handle Izumi's affection. The cast is young. I hope they misplay this shit White Album 2 style.

7:

Where are Morikawa's parents? Have we ever seen them?
This whole snow fiasco is just so basic. Since I mentioned that the writer of Sorata was doing the script, this exact scenario happened in Sorata with the voice acting girl and her audition. Since I mentioned basic-bitch shit, the Main Guy wanting to take the exam for the better school his love interest will be attending is also present in literally every shoujo manga which involves a  transition from middle-high school or high school to college. Except, such a decision is usually made at the conclusion of manga where the characters and couples have been explored throughout the story's run, not in the middle when absolutely zero characters and zero relationships have been fleshed out.

Must be a small ****ing town.
WTF.
Why are the clothes at the store actual photos rendered as texture? I may be retarded. I'm getting tired.

Might be a bit late to characterize Natsume. I already prefer Photo-chan.

8:

Still no Morikawa parents.
Natsume and Izumi coordinating sweaters.

Serously why is Photo-chan even in the story?

Jesus, can characters not leave their ****ing homes without running into one another? It's as though the writers threw out the school setting only to then realize that they now have no reason for 2 characters to reasonably be in the same location.

I dont even care anymore. Why cant I bring myself to give a shit about anyone save for Photo-chan? The first few episode were great. What happened? Classic example of how easy it is to establish characters and scenarios but you will eventually have to actualize said characters and scenarios. Tone is ease. Detail is hard. Why cant the things I like persist?
They really botched the B plot-line of this series. Kuwabara and Morikawa established themselves far too quickly. With their relationship status on pause, and neither having anything else by which to define themselves, they have been non-entities for episodes now.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »
8:

Komiya is a young maiden in love who knows what she wants.
Natsume is a young maiden in love who doesn't know what she wants.
Eita is a young man in love who knows what he wants.  Or at least thought he did.

The problem here is Natsume.  Komiya is just acting on her impulses and instincts.  For whatever reason, she's fallen for Eita, and has more or less told him as such by the end of this episode.  Natsume has been an aggressor with Komiya, but not with Eita, and is still using her entrance exams as an excuse, even though her sister called her out on applying to that school in the first place.  Nastume has no direction.  She's doing to her sister's school, because it is easy and familiar, and she doesn't know what her future is.  She calls the others "traitors" for knowing what they want to do in life. She doesn't like change either, which is why she never confessed to Haruto and why she's having a hard time with Eita, even though she clearly likes him.  What is unusual is that she didn't really fight Morikawa, but she's willing to fight Komiya.  I wonder why that is.  Granted, she's not willing to fight FOR Eita, she just doesn't want to let Komiya win either.  Either of them winning would disrupt the status quo.

Natsume is a frustrating character, because she's the kind of person who will continue to avoid doing anything for herself until it is pressed right in front of her and she's forced to make a decision.  She's a coward, and cowards are routinely hard to root for because they typically remind us of ourselves.  Some will hate them, some will wish they'd do what they couldn't.  In either case, cowards make for frustrating characters.  Komiya has fears, but doesn't let them dominate her.  Well, okay, maybe Natsume just needs a fat cat to help her out, too, but she still went through with it.  She's also willing to fight Natsume, but at the same time wants to win Eita.  That's the crux of the problem here.  There is a one sided competition going on here, and Eita is no help.

Though what was with that clumsy end scene.  We just ended the Komiya Eita date on a stinger, and then they have a mood breaking moment with Morikawa and her new clothes.  What the hell.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 10:27:47 PM »
7-8:

Why are the animals always the ones to know what's up.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
9: Literally the only thing this show is doing is making me feel bad that Komiya is going to lose at the end. They really did a good job of making her a very cute character.

Though I will say this is the only episode where Natsume actually showed some appealing traits. It took far too long though, so unfortunately I still find her character to be a giant miss. Especially for the main girl.

But most of all this whole switch university plot line is dumb as all hell. Like seriously it might be one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long while. Both characters deciding to go to a university based on their love interest is just...like cmon. Do these characters like have any interests or passions at all?

Anyway dropped, not even enjoying it anymore.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:58:14 PM by hyperknees91 »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up