Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 06:10:17 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ousama Game  (Read 238 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Ousama Game
« on: October 05, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »
1:

Yea, no.
Even less interest than Juuni Taisen.

I guess Mayoiga was too subversive and offended the creators of this series.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Ou-sama Geimu (King's Game)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
1:

Oh lord.

This is generally the type of execution I don't like.  I know that they had to get to the plot as soon as possible in order to hook the audience, especially those who haven't read the source material, but really this moved way too fast.  I think we've killed off half the class in one episode.  While that's not necessarily a BAD thing with a huge cast, whittling out the chaff so to speak, I don't think it is going to matter with the remaining students, because they all seem like utterly uninteresting stock characters.  I mean, in this game of utter tragedy, it is possible that we could get some interesting character moments and drama and stuff, but all I'm really expecting at this point is screaming, yelling, overreacting complete with cartoonish reaction faces, and a lot of people being stupid for plot reasons.

Ignoring the power of the King's Game for a second, because you might as well just accept it at this point as a reality, what is the purpose behind it?  Like so many other supernatural horror concepts, it just "is", like a force of nature or something, or the devil playing with smartphones, or whatever.  The purpose behind it is rarely, if ever, explored.  Cabin in the Woods is probably one of the few that tried to explain why shit was happening (and it was stupid, but at least they TRIED).  I don't know if we'll ever get an explanation here.  If this is just some sick and twisted demon wanting to have some fun, then I don't quite get what these orders are supposed to be about.  So far, they're the standard King's Game bullshit:  person A and person B kiss, person C and person D have to do some other thing, person E has to cluck like a chicken, persons F through K have to sing the chorus of Blame Canada, y'know standard juvenile high school bullshit.  Then, the mega order was nobody is allowed to get any sleep.  This would effectively kill every single person on the first day, especially since none of them know the whole thing isn't just spam or troll texts.  The only reason anybody survives this is the previous game's survivor-guilt ridden member knows what's up and keeps people from dying.  Does the malignant force behind this know that and figured he would try to keep everybody awake, even though he himself not more than 1 minute ago almost committed suicide by not following the King's orders?

I'm one episode in and already I can't take it seriously.  I'm fine with the other classmates being skeptical, and then when confronted with the reality of their situation turning into vulgar human animals, because that's pretty standard fare for high stress survival horror type shows.  I mean, this same thing happens in every zombie movie, post apocalyptic environment, mass virus outbreak scenario, or alien invasion.  The problem with these scenarios is that you can't have the heroes win against the thing causing the problem.  You can't kill all the zombies off, or the show is over; you can't undo an apocalypse; you can't cure the virus, or at least you can't do it too early or everything is meaningless; and you can't stop the aliens, at least not before they blow everything up.  So what is there left to have your human characters do?  Act like complete assholes to each other.  That's it.  When the mega villain can't be beaten, can't be dealt with, or in the case of zombies becomes effectively unimportant, the only thing left is to show how much human beings suck.  I've written this same shit a dozen times on this very website's forum, and every single time it holds true.  Here we have the same scenario, except as an overwhelming, neigh-omnipotent and all powerful force making you do things or you die.  What do you have the characters do?  If you said "act like complete shits to each other", you win!  That's this first episode in a nutshell.  Hero is traumatized by his past, the ignorant masses try to get him to come out of his shell, King's Game starts, the truth is realized, they turn into a mob of ****ers against him.

Predictable.

So what do we actually have here that will be worth a shit to watch?  Maybe the creepy and creative ways that the King kills people?  Apparently his idea of "bleeding to death" means high pressure blood explosion from various parts of the body.  Grisly, gross, and kind of cool, but effectively stupid.  Again, I don't know what the King gets out of this.  Another dead coed?  Okay.  Every horror movie ever made does that nonsense.  So he has to make the deaths gnarly or... what?  He's bored?  Having people hang themselves is kind of boring, so no, that can't be it.  I don't know.  If the King is just out to kill people, and has all this power, then the game seems stupid to me.  It isn't entertainment, because again, these things are boring, and for someone or something that can do practically anything, I doubt traumatizing teenagers is that interesting.  I don't know.

Honestly, I have probably put more thought into this thing than the original authors did.  I just looked, and one of the authors is actually named Nobuaki Kanazawa.  Wow.  I thought the concept of a "self insert" character was more of a metaphorical thing.  Jesus Christ, Japan.

Anyway, probably shit, I'll still watch it, blah blah blah.

(EDIT:  Dammit Zeitgeist, now I have to merge topics.)
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Ou-sama Geimu (King's Game)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »

(EDIT:  Dammit Zeitgeist, now I have to merge topics.)

Well, if you didn't devote a frankly unnecessary amount of time, given the quality of this episode, to your response we would't be here.
Seeing how we both sat through this episode, I think we are both victims here.

Honestly, I have probably put more thought into this thing than the original authors did.  I just looked, and one of the authors is actually named Nobuaki Kanazawa.  Wow.  I thought the concept of a "self insert" character was more of a metaphorical thing.  Jesus Christ, Japan.

This is amazing.

Ya know, there was the shot of Author's former classmates and it had a gorgeous silver(?) haired girl and I am somewhat torn. While  I do want to see her in all her glory...she dead and likely died in a boner-killing manner. Then there is the the inconsistent character art and shoddy animation. Doujins when?

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Re: Ousama Game
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
1:

There goes 23 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

I had thought that this might be a whodunit like Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, with a group of kids getting picked off one by one with vaguely worded 'punishments' that had non-supernatural explanations that could (at least initially) be explained away as accidents or misfortune, where the deaths would become increasingly murder-like until there would be no doubt, and ultimately only the MC and his GF are left, and they would each suspect the other of being the secret King, until the real culprit is revealed in a dramatic finale.

Nope.

There is no mystery here, and therefore no tension - just a bunch of Mayoiga-ish victims getting pointlessly whacked off.  It's too stupid even for horror.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:26:50 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 01:14:23 AM »
1:

Well, if you're wondering which show is the runaway winner of the season, it's probably this one.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think this is the deserved winner or anything. Like TIF have said, the formula is there to basically keep the audience (even me) at the edge of their seats for every episode. This is basically the kid's game with a Final Destination twist, coupled with a survivor with his own guilt working with a fresh new batch of victims (of which a third have already been scraped).

Clearly, there's a supernatural 'king' controlling this game because all the conditions are not laid out bare in the beginning. For all we know, information is held deliberately until someone begs it to be announced. Another ****tard tries to go against the king, and another random gratuitous 'FINISH HIM!' fatality happens. It's just going to be a question of how he/she will die (maybe the next victim's head will roll by itself, I dunno).

Is it fun? I guess so. Gratifyingly so? Very much the purpose of the show? Is it stupid? 'Fraid so. Like, Mayoiga-stupid? Really 'fraid so (dammit Zeitgeist for reminding me that failure of a production). Am I going to continue watching this show? *sigh* yeah.

Trivia! Dude is voiced by the same guy who did Yagami Light. I just hope this show will be as smart as Death Note (even if that's wishful thinking).

Offline Gadget

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »
It's not how people die. It's about how people will change if they want to survive. Basically, logic is the first victim.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
2:

Yep, "act like complete assholes to each other".  That's all we got here.  Worst thing is, Natsuko is right, that humans need to do whatever it takes to survive.  That is what Nobuaki is proposing, and since he knows more about the game than she does, he should serve as a useful tool in that survival.  Instead, for whatever reason, she just decides to turn on him, as if she's blaming him for this shit.  Maybe she is, I don't know.  Nobuaki is just as much an imbecile here, though, as he's trying to get in the way of their survival.  Maybe Shouta was right, and now that Nobuaki is in "his" shoes, he doesn't like the idea of the girl he likes screwing someone else.  Still, Nobuaki is all about everybody sticking together to survive, so what's his plan?  Do none of the commands, and then just somehow stop people from hanging themselves?  Did they try that before?  Did it work?  Obviously not.  Even if you did, the power of the King's Game has proven that the "King" can just kill you himself anyway in a much more horrible fashion.  So what option do you have?  What's his plan?  Natsuko has all the right in the world to be annoyed by his indecisiveness.

I am also not sure I like the mood whiplash going on here, which is just being done for shock value.  In a matter of a minute or so, we go from attempted rape (for survival!) to pragmatic sexy time (for survival!) because our main heroine is secretly a huge ****.  Fine, whatever, I mean, it was kind of obvious she wasn't such a great person to begin with, but she's actually a sociopath, borderline psychopath.  Great.  What a perfect and convenient addition to this game.  Of course, the King apparently sets this shit up just to torture Nobuaki, because otherwise there's no reason for the King to do this twice to the same guy.  Maybe the King was mad he survived the first one, who knows.  So of course somehow Nobuaki ends up in a new school with a psychopath who will be the perfect antagonist in this death game.  How unlucky for him.

Sure.

*EDIT*

Since I don't give a **** about this show, I went and spoilered myself on everything and oh my, it is even stupider than I thought.

Nope nope nope nope nope.  I'm out.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:21:40 PM by TypicalIdiotFan »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »
2:

Oh no, it is another Mayoiga.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
2:

Oh no, it is another Mayoiga.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

NO!!. It's not Mayoiga, until a giant stuff toy appears.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:21:48 AM »
Actually...

I have an inkling that the King deliberately made Natsuko crazy. Following TIF's logic, that's the best way to screw whatever Nobuaki plans to go against him. If he can make someone bleed to death from wherever, why not possess a girl who has a soft spot for Nobuaki.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »
I've been spoilered, so I'll answer your theories if you want.  I'll spoiler tag them so you can ignore them if you want.

I have an inkling that the King deliberately made Natsuko crazy. Following TIF's logic, that's the best way to screw whatever Nobuaki plans to go against him. If he can make someone bleed to death from wherever, why not possess a girl who has a soft spot for Nobuaki.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up