Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 12:06:06 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Juuni Taisen  (Read 1099 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Juuni Taisen
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 05:59:32 AM »
4:

Not sure if Monkey is gonna die right now; by order, she should.

But it's quite morbid to think that she needs wars in order to fulfill her purpose, whether she recognizes it or not. It's like doctors who wish for more diseases so that he has a job to do. Or a cop who wants more crimes. That's quite messed up.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
There will always be conflict, just like there are more sick people than doctors.

I think the just let Monkey (Hayami, Saori) do some one person ranting again.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »

I hope they won't kill off the monkey now to keep the order of who's gonna die unpredictable. Was quite disapointed to realise that the order would be to the zodiac....so hoping it will be just the way to showcase the motivations of all of the participants. I want my popcorn show to be stupid and have a winner that is not obvious. With noice animation.... it wasn't that noice this time....

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 06:24:02 AM »
5:

So... apparently, this Zodiac War is merely an answer to global conflict without major casualties. But the catch is, the wish is granted to the Warrior, not the organization he/she is representing. Yeah, I don't get the whole story.

But it's becoming predictable how each Warrior get its demise: he/she always severely underestimates someone. As a viewer, I find it strange that the Tiger, one of the strongest signs in the zodiac, has been flying under the radar the entire time. It's obvious that the Rat is the most mysterious and thus probably the eventual winner (the show is practically begging us to think so), and Sheep is getting his comeuppance for underestimating the Tiger.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 06:07:36 AM »
6:

Oh, so everyone is dying according to plan. Well, that confirms the whole story.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 07:22:54 AM »

What AC says makes me very sad... had some hope for unpredictability...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
Yep.  I think we can see why this isn't regarded as one of Nisioisin's better works.  It is also a prequel to a one shot manga, neither of which really went anywhere.  I'm not even sure why this got adapted, as it feels like one of those rambling ideas you come up with and then realize is stupid then don't use it.

"Hey, let's do a battle royal.  The warriors are all symbols of the zodiac, and get this!  They'll all die off in the order of the zodiac!  Nobody will see that coming!  It'll be rad!"

Should have been crumpled up and thrown in the trash, or refined heavily.  I don't even know what the purpose of the story is at this point.  The usual "brain off, have fun" things get kind of broken when you realize the heavy spoilers are actually obvious, and then we have episodes like this where the Sheep is taken out in one quick moment of totally not interesting, the Horse dies due to smoke inhalation, and Monkey dies because... well okay Rabbit was a little clever on this one I guess.  All three deaths have one thing in common, though: the warrior in question was too stupid to live.

Sheep underestimated his opponent like a complete buffoon and went against everything he was trying to avoid.  As one of the only people who never swallowed the poison, he should have just ****ing hid the whole time, setting up bomb traps if people got close, then wash-rinse-repeat until the game is over.  Instead, he decides to... what was he trying to do again?  Negotiate with his jewel?  This was his plan?  Imbecile.

Horse... **** horse.  That was so stupid I don't even want to talk about it.  Horse has easily been the worst character in this show, and that's pretty bad when you consider one of them died before we even knew what kind of personality he had.

Monkey was stupid for pursuing her enemy.  She also underestimates him in thinking he's not that skilled.  Maybe he wasn't, but I don't know what she hoped to gain from all this.  She should have just let him go, hooked back up with Rat, and kept going.  What kind of pacifism is it if you force your enemy to retreat, achieve a peaceful situation, and then AGGRESSIVELY FOLLOW THEM TO NEGOTIATE THE **** OUT OF THEM!  That's not pacifism.  She was ****ing stupid.

Stupid stupid stupid.  Snake and Dragon, two characters we haven't even ****ing interacted with yet, are going to die next episode, and nobody will care.  The only thing I am curious about right now is how Rabbit is going to die before Tiger, and how Rat gets out of this nonsense as the winner.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 03:18:42 AM »
And you know what the cream of the crop is about all this? Every one of them is not dying to the better warrior; it's just their own complacency.

Boar, Dog, Rooster, Monkey, Sheep... well, only the Horse died because he's a chicken.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 03:39:38 AM »
This seems to be just another Nisioisin troll job, frankly.  I can't explain why the hell he'd write this.  The other thing is that this is just a "brutal" and surreal recounting of the famous story of the zodiac animals and their race to the Emperor (see Fruits Basket for reference if you need).  So, again, the point of this is utterly lost on me.  I know it is a prequel for a one shot manga, but if he was trying to start a new franchise with this nonsense, well he dun ****ed up.  Only other thing I have is "troll".

Offline Gadget

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 04:43:19 AM »
To quote Duodecuple

EVERYBODY, Clap your hands.

For what?

Offline SQA

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:29 PM »
This seems to be just another Nisioisin troll job, frankly.  I can't explain why the hell he'd write this.  The other thing is that this is just a "brutal" and surreal recounting of the famous story of the zodiac animals and their race to the Emperor (see Fruits Basket for reference if you need).  So, again, the point of this is utterly lost on me.  I know it is a prequel for a one shot manga, but if he was trying to start a new franchise with this nonsense, well he dun ****ed up.  Only other thing I have is "troll".

Prolific writers can occasionally get a bad idea, write a lot of it, submit it, and suddenly it's being printed. Occasionally, it's their best work, normally it's something that keep embarrassing them that they wrote. And being Japan, sometimes a producer thinks, "hey, let's make this!".

It's best to just laugh your way to the bank with the royalty check.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 08:09:24 AM »

But it's becoming predictable how each Warrior get its demise: he/she always severely underestimates someone.

This has taken to a ridiculous scale. Underestimating a headless corps that got both he's arm chopped off and lead to his arms choking you to death.

In the mean time, rabbit collecting dead bodies for his army. Pity horse got 'well done'. His cybernetic body would be useful for rabbit's army.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »
Now we a shown a court system for 'internal discipline'. So the 12 families are warriors, not simple mass killers. So they have this system of no innocent bystander' killing?

SO it's like built your reputation, an then we use you in a human hunting bet.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 04:52:22 AM »
7-8:

...seriously, what's the f**king point of the brothers' backstory? The courtroom drama, the robberies, the wealth redistribution... what's the point of all this? The show seems to put in a lot of effort telling the backstory when it's awfully trivial in the grand scheme of things.

And christ, is the animation terrible this time round.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 03:29:17 PM »
9:

Pfft.  Now the animation department is having problems.  Weirdly enough, I think I liked the CG shots better than the regular stuff.  If you're going to make a shitty anime, might as well go full bonkers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up