Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:08:55 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: March comes in like a lion  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Gadget

Re: March comes in like a lion
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
Does Shimada really like shogi? It seems that he play it for his home village. Already Rei did says he took up shogi to be accepted in the new family. It seems that shogi is a matter for their survival. Not what they like. But both of them are really competitive.

An interesting insight into Souya. It may seems Souya hogging the limelight, but he did it so that Shimada could escape from the press. So Souya do have a heart.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »
An interesting insight into Souya. It may seems Souya hogging the limelight, but he did it so that Shimada could escape from the press. So Souya do have a heart.

It can also serve as a testament to his perception, both on and off the shogi board. Remember that he's the type of person that is extremely difficult for others to understand, yet both him and Rei made the same comment about a particular shogi piece during their respective matches. Shimada is lucky enough to get this insight.

It may not help him much at this point if his losing streak continues, but it will help Rei if he goes against Souya one day.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2017, 10:32:13 PM »
It's hard to put words down. The whole even was like a dream. From the way Shimada dream that he was just a farmer in his village, to the way he lost the game. And in the snow storm/tornado and he 'heard' Rei's voice. And just like Rei, Shimada never says he like shogi, but their identity is found in winning shogi matches.

Stomach pain kept Shimada 'alive'. Kinda remain me from the movie 'G.I. Jane'. Pain means you are alive.  Pain means Shimada is alive in reality,  not in some dream where he got a family in his village. I'm wondering is this a form of mind trick to make him perform even better. Shimada's no slouch. Even Rei felt he was swept by a tide during the practice match.

yet both him and Rei made the same comment about a particular shogi piece during their respective matches. Shimada is lucky enough to get this insight.

Once again, this was hinted again. Where only Rei and Souya sees the counter move.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2017, 01:04:08 AM »
It takes an autist to defeat an autist.

20:

Making an astute observation regarding an established board(3rd party observing aside) doesnt mean you could've cultivated such a scenario. Not that the episode ever suggested Rei was capable of such a feat.

I never gave a shit about Shimada but with this he seems to have informed Rei's immediate development so I suppose these past episodes, collectively, have been worthwhile. This show has been delineated as 3 arcs: The 3 sisters, The Kyouko, and The Shimada. The 3 sisters was a rather light-hearted exploration into Rei's isolation and his longing for a home. The Kyouko was his reason for having those feelings of displacement as well as depicting not only why he identifies as a hedgehog but why he continues to identify as such. The Shimada was Rei affirming his own Shogi-based existence, or rather, his acknowledgement that he would have to assert himself and his own way of life.
My point, each of the 3 sections have been integral to the establishment and the future development of Rei....but once Kyouko appeared I only cared about her and her related things. As such,  as great as the series is, my interest inherently wanes when Kyouko isnt on screen. You can't put the Genie back on the bottle as it were. Now that I know she exists I want more. While the series is a charcater study of Rei and while his identity as well as his relationships are informed by his experiences I need direct Kyouko involvement.  Essentially, the show teased a far too captivating character and now it cant sustain itself without her. I loved Rei from the beginning but now I'm interested in other things.

Which isnt to say the series is anything less than brilliant. Im simply saying that after the wave of excellence that comes with each episode, I take a step back and wonder "where Kyouko at?". I had the same "issue" with Honey and Clover. I immediately fell for Rika and couldnt help but think less of any non-Rika related plotlines.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2017, 01:08:32 AM »
20:

It's awesome that the competitive side of things have finally come out to play. I don't play Shogi myself, but I played Go for a few years, and I've been following competitive games for almost a decade. The scene in which Rei saw the move was absolutely fantastic, in the context of the game itself, the setup, visuals, execution, and what it means for the story going forward. It was like seeing the inside of my own brain on the screen. I would change nothing. That is exactly how it feels when you're slogging through a game which seems hopeless, when suddenly you see the one way out shining through like it's the light of God.

Man that was fun.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
20:

It's fascinating how this Souya-Shimada tournament has been explored purely from a psychological point of view.

It's tragic to see just how much sacrifice Shimada has made through his journey in shogi. It's basically a do-or-die mission for him, and the whole flashback is akin to one that people having near-death experiences can relate to. Kiriyama is right; the real (psychological) fear is what comes after the end of the tournament. As I mentioned before, a lot of sportspeople make huge sacrifices and it's a despair to think what comes next for people who almost made it but didn't.

I would like to see Souya's background more. Until now, it's all about Shimada and Kiriyama, which have been amazing.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 06:17:15 AM »
21:

A cool-off episode that this show needs by now, especially after that intense tournament.

I'm really glad to see that there's still hope for Shimada even after losing. Life just goes on, and Shimada's case is no exception. At least there are still people looking forward to his return regardless of victory or loss. Moreover, he has a community, and more importantly, a home to go back to. That's the most important thing in life for anyone, because if anything bad happens in life, one needs a place to go back to socially, emotionally and psychologically.

And I'm delighted to see the second half of the episode. I don't really know why; I just feel happy watching it.

Is the next episode supposed to be the last one? Sure doesn't feel like it.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2017, 06:36:22 AM »
Final:

Oh wow, that was a final episode very well-done. I was skeptical that the final episode could wrap things up nicely from the previous episode, but I guess was wrong (and pleasantly surprised for it).

The second half struck me for two things. It's a no-brainer that Kiriyama is introverted through and through. Yes, worrying about being a sore thumb in a crowd and be fascinated by ants are as introverted as it gets. But more importantly, it's about how he's come to terms with himself.

He is lonely but not in desperation because of shogi. It's just beautiful how metaphorical the whole reference to having someone sitting next to Kiriyama is and how shogi is his 'ticket' to his destiny. That's the one thing I've always appreciated this show for: the metaphors especially during scenes that explores Kiriyama's psyche. They're just fascinating to watch, and I will thank Umino and Shinbo for their combined direction and writing.

It's an 8/10 for me. Great show in overall.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
It's end of one journey and a beginning of another. Kiriyama is still Kiriyama. Shy and awkward. But there is a difference in a Kiriyamaish way. He is still growing, as a person, teenager and a shogi player. I agree with AC that the metaphor are well done. It's not an end, but a phase has finish. There are still things I want to know. Like his relation with the  Kawamoto sisters. I think there could be future romance with Hinata. His relation with Kyouko. And how can I not be interested with his self proclaim best friend Nikaidou. But those are things for another time.

Final though.
It's slow, but we do want to know what's going on. It seems that every episode gives us a peek into Kiriyama. And we want to see more. The metaphor are great. But it's not for the faint heart, like Pokemon or YuGiYo fans. There is no plot at all. It's just a peek into an introvert shogi player's life, Like the way they show Smiths having breakfast. It you think about it, the story is ...almost not there. UnlikeShouwa Genroku Rakugo, it has a story/plot. This is it's strength, and also it's weakness.I prefer something with a story. It's one of the things I feel that an anime can do better then a life movie. But I have to wait until the life version comes out.

But I did enjoy. I wish I could enjoy more. So a 8.5 for me.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
Btw a second season is confirmed.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
Btw a second season is confirmed.

That's awesome. There are so many issues still left unresolved, so a second season is definitely warranted.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
23:

SHUWA SHUWA DA!
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2017, 12:42:53 AM »
I think there may be a change. The window opening statement means that Rei has grown. Although he participate in the co call club activities, I wonder can he get along with 'normal' students. After all, the club president is Tesla. Another genius.

It seems the Kawamoto sisters are the anchor of his life. Can't wait to see  Nikaidou .

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #103 on: Today at 05:56:44 AM »
23:

Come to think of it, I've never had Lamune before.

Decent first start to a new season, and a good recap of where the previous one left off. I see that the production values are better now, with the CGI and all with the kitty shogi.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All   Go Up