Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 05:26:09 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Made in Abyss  (Read 2241 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Made in Abyss
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 02:20:30 AM »
Do they sell plushies of her on amazon?

You're a monster.

jk

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »
A monster with a fat wallet and a thirst for a mitty plushie. And the most charming smile and a ridiculosly good sense of humor. If i may say so about myself.

(You guys know i'm joking right? Except about buying the plushie)

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 04:48:03 AM »

That scene where we see inside Mitty and the her looking through the eyehole of herself and watching Riko.... just... beautiful. No need to tell through exposition that her past self is still there trapped in the body that the mind can't escape from. No words needed.

Episode otherwise too... Really interesting to hear about the curse of the abyss... and Nana's past is gonna be the ending of the series??? Really would've benefitted of having 24 episodes instead of 13.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:17:02 AM by Equilibrium »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 04:49:02 AM »
12:

It's a very good analogy on how this Curse of Abyss really works. That's kinda neat.

And I just remembered when I last felt that poignant feeling in anime whenever I see Mitty. It's that Nina Tucker scene in FMA; yeah, it's all coming back to me.

And seeing how this show is supposed to end in the next episode, I assume there's a second season in the works or something. There's still so much story this show hasn't covered yet.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 06:16:13 AM »
For what it's worth, the next episode is double the length.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
13. Not dissapointed at all. Only dissapointement is the lack of more Made in abyss. It was really starting to get to the deep meat plotwise. AOTS For me easily. No question about that.

True it ends on a cliffhanger and a really annoying one at that but.... can't really blame em too much.

Oh also i heard.... this show didn't do that well commercially in Japan.... like apparently really bad?... I might just have bad taste at this but it was good right? Like really good.... like Anime of the year contender good.. (Winner is still Rakugo s2)

I know people are intitled to have their own opinion but... this was.....good....instead we have Smartphones in another world.......

Sorry about the rambling

9/10 really loved it so im biased... actually 9/10 if there will be a second season otherwise 8/10:D

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 06:12:19 PM »
It is actually getting kind of pathetic that the anime that will sell each season is so predictable.  On occasion you can get those weirdo flukes like Kemono Friends, which still boggles my ****ing mind, but otherwise, there is a reason why my cynicism holds up year after year.  I mean, next season you know Love Live! Sunshine is going to do well, and you'll get one "fujoshi bait" show that will sell well, maybe Osomatsu-san again, but do I expect most of the rest to sell really well?  Nope.

Of course, we also know these days that DVD/BluRay sales aren't the end all be all of making money.  Some shows don't have to sell well, because they're advertisements for LNs or manga, which do.  Some shows get pretty good ratings and sell like they do here in the States as advertising dollar bait.  Some shows move lots of superfluous product, such as toys, kits, and so forth, so sales there aren't a big deal either.  But there's some interesting sequel competitions next season, of which their previous incarnation sold well.  You might get everybody flocking behind one show as the norm usually is, but I think things might spread out a bit.  Osomatsu-san sold well before, Yuuki Yuuna sold well before, Love Live! always sells, Umaru-chan was popular for reasons only otaku can understand, and, oddly enough, so was Houzeki no Reitetsu, and maybe Kino no Tabi, because of nostalgia.  Splitting seems likely, but you know at least one show is going to rise to the top, because there have been other seasons where splits were expected, and it still all went to something else.

We'll see.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »
WOW. Best ending for this lukewarm season.

Overall
8.5. Art is rather cartoonish. Just my opinion.

Should be a movie if they want to avoid the otaku trap. Most 'normies' would like it.

Offline nekorosu

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 04:22:13 AM »
Damn! Great ending and I hope we get more of this. This is how you do adventure.

Strong 8/10 for me overall.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 05:23:31 AM »
Final:

I have to admit, that's perhaps the best final episode I've seen in a very long time. Regardless of whether this is the grand or season finale, the closure done for both Nanachi (with regards to Mitty) and the whole parcel scene were masterfully done.

I had the hint that this is a very special show from the beginning, and indeed it really is. At first it felt like a Ghibli production but a few episodes into the show, it's basically another form of Dennou Coil: a show that started out ingenious, then went into something much darker and completed with a powerful ending. And just like DC, I get the hint that this is the sleeper hit of summer 2017 (or possibly the year itself).

DC is a 9 for me, and I'll be generous with Made From Abyss: it's a 9/10 for me. It's done almost everything right: storytelling, plot twists, setting. Even the artwork is appealing in a strange, just like DC. The only setback is that I felt like there's still so much story left untold. A second season is definitely warranted; otherwise, it's very tragic. Would I consider this the Best of 2017? You know what, I'm not sure; it's definitely one of the best of this year, I'll say.

edit:

Just learned that the soundtrack included Raj Ramayya, who worked a lot with Kanno Yoko before for shows like Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain. See, this is why I felt the soundtrack was particularly amazing, and only now I know why.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:08:09 AM by AC »

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
Ac-

I didn't wanna mention the soundtrack too much cause music espically is an opinion based like all of the entertaiment industry BUT big high five for the composer of this show. Amazing atmosphere all thorouh out and beautiful songs and beats all the way. Heard he was a non japanese which is apparently a rarity in anime but..... he brought it through. Like in 10/10. Anime had so more athomsphere thanks to his craft. Thank you.

Im a fan now:3

If someone knows better or even better knows the artists name? Share it here for me? I'll follow his/her future endeavours

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 05:56:25 AM »
The music composer is Kevin Penkin, a name I'm not familiar with. But it's refreshing to hear someone new, at least someone different from Sawano Hiroyuki who's just about everywhere these days.

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
13:

I waited until my parents went away for the weekend so that I could go back home and finish the show on a bigger screen and I'm glad I did (I marathoned the whole season, skipping ahead at some points). My expectations had dwindled a bit between maybe episodes 6-9 (not to say I didn't finish them), but my god, what a finale. I know some manga fans had been disappointed by how milquetoast the series had been in portraying the effed up aspects of the story originally but the Mitty scenes in the final episodes have to be some of the most hard to bear in anime. But I like a show that can do that while simultaneously giving one of the most softly heartfelt conclusions to such an arc while avoiding being too sentimental. It's a real shame that this show probably won't get a second season.

I definitely miss the days when 26 episodes was the norm because I hate the ambiguity of not knowing whether or not another will happen, and given what people have said about the ratings I can't imagine it's likely. Sigh, if only this show had some dolls or plushes *wink* to boost popularity and appeal to the most base of anime fans. I will definitely buy the manga/dvd when they come to the US to try to bolster profits as much as possible, though I'm not looking forward to buying volume by volume as I'm so much more inclined toward anthologies. I'm not much of a manga reader, which is maybe shameful, but it will be a shame to go from the aesthetic splendor of this series into black and white.

And the soundtrack was absolutely phenomenal. Some of the tracks definitely sounded like they took a big budget (especially the one for the final seasons), but even some of the softer motifs captured both the magic of the adventure of the show and the dark mystery surrounding the abyss. The sort of Icelandic vocal track was particularly magical and well used.

I appreciate this show for reminding me that anime could still be as great and unfettered by the prospect of sales as it was a decade ago. Just very unfortunate that these shows are more few and far between.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up