Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 09:39:24 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara  (Read 92 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara
« on: October 03, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
We are often inconsistent regarding shorts having their own threads or just commenting in the seasonal thread but I wanted this lawlsy throwaway comment to standalone. Plus this particular short has a chance for more comments from me in the future - even if they will be just me grading the cocktail of the week. This may very well be the anime which I end spending the most money on.

1:

I really got to break in to that Japanese legal field. I want to live in a place where one's life is so shit and work-orientated that drinking is not only accepted but borderline mandated.
it is another Danna ga Nani  insofar as it panders to the assumed lonely pathetic millennial otaku crowd that I very much am a part of. feelsbad. This one subbing out the meaningful character growth and progression for dark as shit implications. The husband is a ****ing predator; drugging his cute wife night after night for his own sick amusement.

Truly a horrifying manga that really pushes that nomikai lifestyle. It is quite literally propaganda aimed at millennials attempting to coerce a new generation to embrace that post-work alcohol lifestyle rather than question why one's life is nothing but work and post-work substance abuse. In other words, my kind of ****ing show.

It is a strange beast in that its run-time isn't long enough to make, much less consume, the drinks it promotes. I don't get the appeal. They aren't an interesting, much less functional, couple. It is like that Tzuredere Children show of last season but these characters are married adult not kids so the main conceit doesn't work. I just want to see how dark of an interpretation I can get from this show. I cam going to be spinning quite the yarn using the elements the show itself presents.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
I think you're on your own on that one, spinning darkness and all that.  Don't get me wrong, the idea of a borderline alcoholic and her enabling husband being the effective "plot" of a show that is essentially Wakakozake with booze breeds some rather disturbing implications.  On the other hand, I don't get the feeling that she's supposed to be the stressed out one here.  She seems fairly in control of her life, only getting out late because a coworker couldn't get her stuff done.  On the other hand, it seems her problem isn't so much alcoholism as she just has more of an issue with maintaining her image of control and strength, and getting boozed up brings those barriers down.  This is something she can only show her husband at home, so he whips of a drink or six and lets her turn into a drunk tsundere slut.  It does beg a question of how they met and how he got her to marry him, but I'm not sure I want to go there yet.

Drinking can be fun, despite what negative positions people have on it.  Yes, it has risks and responsibilities, but what doesn't?  Like any form of relaxation involving some kind of addiction, it isn't for everybody and probably about half the people who do drink regularly shouldn't, while half that don't drink at all should.  Some people can handle their booze.

As I've gotten older I have moved away from alcohol consumption mostly because I got tired of feeling like crap in the morning.  Also drinking doesn't do as much for me as it used to.  I'm too tired to stay out late and drink, and getting wasted in public is not my favorite thing to do in the first place.  In a way, I can understand her problem, but in a way she's actually a wannabe drunk, so what do I know.  Was cute though.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
Awe. I was really hoping you would join me on my...crusade?
I will admit my reading, which was more of a disregarding, may have been more self-critical but it has some legitimacy and I am somewhat earnest about its pursuit. The supposed "cute social anxiety"  which was willingly self-medicated(possibly "forcefully" by the enabling husband) is obviously not a sustainable lifestyle. The specific social reluctance depicted is very much a millennial thing as well as very much a modern Japan thing. The legitimacy of any ridiculousness I read into this show will extend only so far as the show treats the Main Girl's inferred growth:
The Main Girl is reluctant to drink in public.
Main Girl resides within a society that encourages her to engage in public drinking.
1 of 2 things can occur:
      Main Girl achieves a level of self-awareness wherein she can drink in public(thus perpetuating the questionable status quo of Japanese work-life.)
      Main Girl remains divorced from her pro-drinking co-workers and is left to the mercy of her husband). Or just generally ostracized within the work place.

I honestly don't see a not ****ed up understanding of this series. Disregarding my more facetious "her husband is a monster" criticism, we are left with a character that understands the social stigma which encourages her to drink in public in order to garner a relationship with her coworkers and is agonizing(to the point of drinking anyway) at her inability to answer that a social call.

I may need to re-watch the episode. It may be possible that I latched onto an idea and have since just run with it. Regardless, I am taking this and running with it...assuming there is anything to carry next episode. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:23:25 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »
2:

So he made her a wimpy screwdriver.  I mean, that's basically the point of mixed drinks:  to not make it taste like alcohol, because alcohol tastes like shit.  In this case, I don't know too many alcohols that have pungent odors, but I do know cooking wine or sake is generally not something you want to drink anyhow, and anybody who does is probably...

AN ALCOHOLIC...

I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: [1]   Go Up