Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 03:06:20 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cardcaptor Sakura - Clear Card  (Read 126 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Cardcaptor Sakura - Clear Card
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »
Prologue OAV:

So, it has been 17 years since the adorable first TV series introduced us to what true moe looked like, and now CLAMP is back to their old tricks with a sequel manga that has been running since last year.  As such, someone out there knows this is a hot commodity and a new TV series is airing this winter based on this new manga sequel.  In anticipation of that, or perhaps to create anticipation for that, a prologue OAV was released designed to bridge the gap between the original series and the new one.

There isn't much to say about it except for two major things:

1)  It undoes certain events in the last two episodes and the entire second movie, because the manga ended differently with regards to Syaoran and Sakura's budding relationship.
2). It starts the Clear Card storyline with a simple taste test of middle schooler Sakura and Syaoran.

What it doesn't do is undo all the other stuff that was changed from the manga to the original TV series.  For spoiler reasons (though I don't know how applicable that is 17 years later) I don't want to say what, but this isn't to say that those things still exist, the OAV just doesn't address them.

Anyway, I marathon'd the original series before watching this, and even after all this time it doesn't feel like the show has aged a day.  It is still a character story at its heart, with a lovable cast you just want to root for, and the actors and actresses can still do the same great work now they did back then, so I will be itching for the new series.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

Re: Cardcaptor Sakura - Clear Card
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »
CLAMP likes money. That much is clear. :)

Fascinating that we're getting a sequel this far along, but the original audience is now in their late 20s & 30s. Which means disposable income and something they'd like to enjoy with their own children.

The 20 year nostalgia cycle is sort of fascinating.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
I'm really happy about the quality of the OVA, they didn't screw anything up like Berserk's disastrous run and basically was business as usual. The music was the same, the cast mostly was the same, and the visuals were wonderful. If they can keep up the same quality for Clear Card, I will be ecstatic and they can have all of my nonexistent money.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:47:17 PM »
Well, you'll note they didn't give Rika any speaking lines... and not to be a prick, but if they want to keep as many of the same voice talents as before going in the new series, and for however as long CLAMP is going to do this new manga (which would mean more to the series later), then maybe they should get off their butts because a few of these people may not last much longer.

Hell, it was already weird having a bunch of 40 and 50 somethings voicing a pack of children (and Aya Hisakawa is starting to sound her age), but if they start dropping like flies, we're going to need some new talents quickly.  Can fans handle replacement voices?  I can, but I'm admittedly not Japan.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: [1]   Go Up