Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 09:23:28 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni  (Read 526 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »
1-4:

Jesus Christ, we just need to kill the isekai trend already.  With this one, though, I can't tell if it wants to parody certain other isekai shows on a subtle level or just play it completely straight.  Usually that means a show is trying to split it right down the middle and not commit to either concept, which also usually means the show is going to suck balls.  And, yep this one sucks balls.

The digs at other shows are pretty low key for the most part, with the 'Explosion' magic joke being the only real overt piece of side poking, but it doesn't do a whole lot to establish a breakaway from anything else either.  The main character is gifted with every conceivable ability and skill necessary to run amok as a messiah figure, he's surrounded by females (lampshaded in episode 4), fantasy world setting where somehow everything is actually clean and sanitary despite being renaissance level technology at best, monsters are stupidly easy to beat yet somehow a threat to everyone else, and so on and so forth.  I figured the show wasn't supposed to be taken seriously when it was explained that polygamy is supposedly the "norm" in this world according to God, yet not one single character so far has more than one wife.  All that ends up doing is being self-serving for the "harem" bullshit to continue.  Of course, God could just be full of shit.  Not that he has heretofore been a liar, but he has admitted to being a careless dunce at least once so who knows.  Also, that bit with exposing the Count as the villainous would-be assassin was 100% Wisconsin Swiss cheese.  The rest, though, is your standard party running around doing things with quests and monsters and magic and blah.

So if it is just going to play things straight, then this is ****ing boring.  All the moe girl waifu fags will have their fun with the cornucopia of nubile females to choose from, but anybody wanting anything with substance is going to be left out in the cold.  There is zero creativity here, which usually implies they're trying to poke fun at other things rather than use their own unique ideas, but there isn't enough parody here to be a full on satirical farce.  As for the smartphone, shit he barely uses it.  I don't even know what it is there for.  He's looked up a recipe for ice cream and roll cake (the latter done off screen), he's used the GPS system a couple of times, took a few photos, and found out one of his favorite musical groups is breaking up, but other than that, it hasn't been anything more than a reminder he isn't from around there to he audience.  I guess the smartphone serves as his "mascot", even though the thing doesn't have sentience, but whatever.

Shit sucks.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

Re: Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
1-4:

It's garbage...like seriously one of the worst isekai shows i've witnessed and...........

I want to watch more. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

It's boring, animation is meh, characters are annoying and the imagination put in here is zero. But i wanna see more.

I don't get it....

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:22:56 PM »
5:

No, seriously, this is a parody, right?

Offline Gadget

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
What parody? With green slime that dissolves girls cloths? And the fan service is not even 'fannish'.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
The parody is in the way the show acknowledges and plays with the tropes.  Like orcs raping elves, the green slime (or any slime for that matter) causing a "lucky sukebe" situation on the (usually already scantily) clothed females is a common enough cliche in fantasy hentai and other ecchi rubbish.

Problem is the show also played it straight, which is why I'm confused as to whether this is parody, because it sure as **** isn't a deconstruction or a subversion.  It is a comedy, I guess, using standard cliches as its ammunition.  Konosuba never bothered to try to hide the parody, which is one reason why the ending for the source material sucked so bad.  After parodying the place up for volumes, it decides to go the cliche route with hamfisted harem romance resolution bullshit which a lot of people didn't like.  This one doesn't seem to want to take a direction from the start.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:37 PM »
  It is a comedy, I guess, using standard cliches as its ammunition.

It's not even funny. Konosuba was just shameless. And Konosuba, IMHO, Konosuba got good VAs to carry the comedy.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 05:44:39 AM »

Why is it so bad? (No need to answer it)

Everything is so.........bland. Souless and devoid of any charm. When it's trying to be funny it's just so weirdly off beat and timed badly with deliverance. When it's trying to be serious it's cheesy and feels like there's zero urgency. And stuff just happens.

Like the dragon.... Oh theres a dragon... FIGHT IT. Okay. And done.

Ladies and gentlemen im still watching this out of my own volition. Don't know why.

Offline DankKanti

• Professional Narcissist
  • Guess who

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
I watched two episodes of this garbage and noped the hell right out of this garbage.  This is about as boring and uninteresting as anime can get.  First off, whoops god killed you by accident!  Then 'Oh well, I wasn't doing much with my life anyway.  It's cool god.'  Seriously...  That's your reaction to the realization that you're dead...  This dude doesn't give a shit about himself, so why should I?  He is the most white bread plain toast having for breakfast MC I might have ever come across.  Does he have any sort of personality whatsoever?  Does he even know what a personality is?  No?  Oh well, at least he's bff's with god and has the power to do everything right on the first try without so much as a freaking tutorial to help him out.  Oh and he can look up how to make ice cream on his phone for all his friends!  Oh boy! 

Pass.  Hard Pass.  Super hard mega uber '**** this show' pass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up