Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 12:51:23 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jikan no Shihaisha (Chronos Ruler)  (Read 218 times)

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Jikan no Shihaisha (Chronos Ruler)
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:50:42 PM »
1:

With its earnest old school shonen battles and old fashioned drama/comedy, this series could have been made ten years ago during the era of Fullmetal Alchemist.  Like FMA, the mains are a pair of orphaned brothers who fight battles, this time against the Horologues - soul-eating monsters who tempt people into trying to fix their past regrets.  If a victim accepts a Horologue's offer to fix the past, the monster then feeds on the victim until they lose all their memories as they quickly revert back to childhood, then infancy, then fetus, then zygote, then nothing (it's pretty unsettling to watch it happen).

Years ago a Horologue had attacked the brothers and killed their mother and mortally wounded the younger brother, Victo. The older brother, Kiri, has since tried to protect his wayward and snarky younger brother as they fight their battles against the monsters, which are classic shonen affairs complete with called attacks. 

The brothers are 'chronos rulers', which means they can alter the speed of time passing around themselves, making time move faster or slower (but not backwards).  Victo is suffering the Horologue's time-reversing curse just like any other victim but he is using his time-slowing powers to slow the reversal down to real time.  Since he cannot retain any new memories he always writes down any new events that he experiences in a personal diary, much like the way Chihiro Shindou did to fight her anterograde amnesia in ef - a tale of memories (2007).

Now I normally don't care for shonen battle shows like this, but this one had a last-second twist in the first episode that put me in stitches laughing.  And then...

2:

Hahahaha!  The dialog at 18:00 had me rolling on the floor. 

I might eventually get tired of the shonen battle stuff in later eps, but for now this thing just rocks just for the plot twists if nothing else.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:33:04 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Re: Jikan no Shihaisha (Chronos Ruler)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:49 PM »
3:

The ending twists are now becoming predictable.  The villain is a stereotypical boisterous twit right out of OPM Central Casting.  Kiri is the only character on the show who even remotely acts like an adult. (Okay, it's shonen, but still.) The way things are going the show is probably going to delay revealing the 'actual' identity of the third person interminably.  Ready to drop.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.
Pages: [1]   Go Up