Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 15, 2017, 01:31:08 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gamers!  (Read 1120 times)

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Gamers!
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Mobage>waifu

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Gamers!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
1-3:

Wait a minute, this is the most accurate and modern depiction of gaming and gamers in anime. Plus the characters are great and the romantic shenanigans are enjoyable. This is awesome!
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »
1:

This episode did a great job of subtly getting me invested in the underlying hikki gamer girl vs Umara. I was genuinely upset when he turned down the Hikki girl(via rejecting her in-game invite) and was worried MC was gonna forget about her. Now, that would probably be better for Hikki's overal mental health as she would probably end up joining the club after confronting MC or some such shenanigan but how the choices were framed this episode truly established a neat little narrative for the viewer. I am sure both MC and Hikki will be in the club in no time flat but the arc presented in this single episode was great.

I do also like the message of enjoying games at your own pace. Tendou assumes just cause MC plays games all the time then he must play them as she does. But MC enjoys games on a more casual level and derives enjoyment by simply having the experience. The FPS kid, insofar as we have seen from him, probably doesnt like "games? - he likes FPS, a specific type of game. As in, liking exclusively baseball doesn;t make you a fan of sports, it makes you a fan of baseball. And actually, none of the characters who provided their reason for playing games(Indoctrinated by dad, to save a friend, literally the only thing he knows) stated it was because they actually liked games. So,  thankfully, it seems this show won;t go the route of enlightening" the MC that games can be enjoyed competitively(which isn't to their is a proper way to enjoy a game, I would have been annoyed had the show presented a casual=wrong stance) and will be more about celebrating a genuine interest/enjoyment with games.

2:

Nothing more obnoxious, to me, than a third party overhearing some conversation solely to advance character/narrative. "Oh, our characters are too autistic to communicate. What to do? Oh, I know, lets bypass that established character trait entirely since it would require actually writing in oreder for characters to address/overcome their established weakness and just have one of them overhear the feelings of the other. It sucks. The only semi-earned example of  trope was in Toradora and I hate that scene too(I throwing in the "character says something they are otherwise too autistic to say due to delirious state, ie lolfever and lolrumraisin). Granted, I hate the Toradora scene for being an example of this, the scene itself is actually quite beautiful.

Tasuku has the obligatory arc for any high school series about nerdy shit. While I do like him as a character and he is enjoyable to watch, they really opt'd for a cop-out having his GF love him for who he was. It really undermines the whole fake friends, fake life thing he had goin on and the eventual meaningful choice he would have to make. Coulda been cool. But I suppose we are more than just our hobbies and having spent time with someone automatically creates a bond and said bond makes you more accepting of that someone so this his friends would have been chill with being a gamer. But the main issues is his friends, both male and female, seem vapid as fuk and he doesn;t enjoy being with them. I wasn't expecting for them to be all "what? you're a gamer? **** off" but rather him coming to the conclusion that he and they have little in common and making the decision to seek out other, more like-minded, friends/girlfriend. That wouldve been different - taking the fabricated to be popular life to the logical conclusion.

Also, we saw like one shot, in episode one of Hikki Girl(****. I wrote that before the final shot of this episode) and she is infinitely more endearing than Tendou. I have seen Tendou as Main Girl at least 5 times already. Granted, I'm sure Hikki Girl will be just as generic but dammit, that generic will be more in-line with my sensibility.

3:

those "Desu Desu" are gonna be the deasu of me...**** you. I'm funny.

This is the second girl in the series, so far, to alter her appearance to please a man(and it was the same man).

I know I am very much on record favoring short-haired girls but I'll have to make an exception in this case. Her hair both had and communicated so much personality. Stammering derederes ought not taint the ranks of short-haired anime girls.

Hikki(too late to learn her actual name) could represent some of that bullshit I was talking about with Taskusu. He very well may interact with her more naturally while sharing similar interests with Hikki rather than Aguri.

Ok, this show is off the rails(relative to what I expected going in) and I love it. Each of the 3 episode have been amazing and wholly different. I love that Tendou is just always lurking getting ****ed by her own delusions.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »
4:

It wasn't video games that ****ed her life, it was LOVE. I, Zeitgeist, endorse this message.

The subtle(insofar as I'm sure it wasn't intended to be read this way) commentary regarding emotional abuse sustained while dating a tsundere.

Probably the weakest episode so far.

Also, not a single air hockey table in the joint? I know this aint America.
Also also, seeing the shot of Amano's empty cup contrasting Tendou's full cup made me realize that arcades are essentially dens for under-aged gambling. Interesting.
        Dammit the show undercut my already obvious observation by descending into literal gambling.

Amano succinctly sums up casual "gamers"; seekers of low effort, low stakes "gambles". They have an investment in the outcome but aren't willing to truly devote themselves to any one game. If my use of quotations weren't enough, I was extending the mindset posited by this show to anyone and any endeavor, not just games.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
The comedy of error is hilarious. 3 cute girls, a good looking ex nerd, and a weird nerd. The combination of wrong assumption is way too high.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
5:

For once, I'm actually liking the misunderstanding thing, because they're piling up so high it's hilarious. This is slowly becoming a literal clutserf!ck.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »
5:

I love it. All of it.

God Damn the MC is such a Scott Pilgrim and I love him.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 10:14:47 AM »
Urrr....way too much over thinking. Your life flash before you when you are about to die.....or confess. And when friends starts to look evil.

Hilarious!

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
6:

OMG the entire cast going full Samon and it may have been the greatest episode of presumably self-aware anime ever.
Also that ending card, havie I been missing out on something?

Offline Herought

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
There's a lot of misunderstanding scenario which is not my cup of tea, also I can't call someone a real gamer if he's not skilled at least in one type of game. But overall the story is not so bad at all...

Offline Gadget

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
BURN ALL BOARD GAMES.

Chiaki's inmoto is a Yuri. So she's going to take revenge on Keita for destroying her sister. And she'll join in the confusion. I pity (not) Uehara kun.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 06:54:17 AM »
7:

The relationship dynamics in this are great. Love Triangle narratives typically fail, in part, due to a lack of proper relationship development. As in, sure characters A and B have an interest in one another but for B and C it seems almost obligatory. Not the case here. Be it MC/Tendou or MC/Chiaki there are observable reasons why they would not only have an interest in one another but also why they would work as a couple. This both allows for intrigue as to which pair will win, as neither is immediately more valid, as well as legitimazes time spent characterizing the inevitable loser.

Shame I just nothing Tendou. Sure she is great when being ignored and lost within her own self-fefeating delusions. But outside of those moments she is just you run-of-the-mill Main Girl.

8:

Meta too strong.

Oh Tendou. Overt jealousy/possessiveness only works when you are Best Girl.

Show is great. But I'm a bit hesitant if we're going down a Chiaki Bad End.

Offline DankKanti

• Professional Narcissist
  • Guess who

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »
This is one of the only real shows I'm enjoying this season (tbf though it's also one of the only ones I'm actually watching).  It really wasn't what I thought it was going to be going into episode one.  It's kind of turned into your typical slice of life romantic comedy, but with a lot of interesting and funny characters that make the show a joy to watch.  I love the way they make those small moments HUGE with good build up and tension and the animation styles they choose to use in those scenes fit perfectly (the ending to episode 6 being the perfect example).  I am kind of worried the misunderstanding schtick might get a little annoying or stale after a while, but I'm 7 episodes in so far and I haven't lost all hope for it yet, so that's typically a good sign. 

Offline nekorosu

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »
Misunderstandings The Anime. So why am I enjoying it so much? It constantly manageses to surprise me by avoiding the more predictable stuff I'd expect from a one cour anime dealing with gamers and high school romance, or rather the way it's dealt with is fresh and genuinely funny. This could've went the usual way so many times already (MC joins the game club in episode 1 > befriends it's members > forced life lessons and shit) but no, they keep taking the other route and I love these sidesteps. Maybe it's because we get bombarded by tons of identical high school anime every season a series like this feels almost OFFBEAT. It's got heart.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:41:55 PM by nekorosu »

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 06:15:35 AM »
9:

I love the casual sexualizing of Konoha. It has been present ever since her introduction and it only happens to her. I sure don't mind seeing as she has a fantastic design. Her character is so meta. There is an imouto character with her exact design in almost every eroge and here she is being sexualized and playing eroges. Good stuff.

How can this show constantly get away with these misunderstandings? Strong character writing and a light tone. That is how. This is the most enjoyable comedy since Tanaka-kun from summer '16.

Do Takatsu decides to back Chiaki, interesting. Is it because the Chiaki backstory vaguely mirrors his own relationship with Aguri? I am genuinely curious what pairing, mc/Tendou or MC/Chiaki, this show will arrive at. Which is more legitimate: the newly formed dynamic with natural chemistry or the deep/established but previously platonic. Neither is more legitimate or logical.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:20:55 AM by Zeitgeist »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up