Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 03:59:51 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/Apocrypha  (Read 841 times)

Offline Gadget

Fate/Apocrypha
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »
1 & 2
It seems that the Fate franchise has gone Gundam. Beside light spin off with magic girls, F/Zero, and now it's another parallel universe. It's like the UC in Gundam got to crowded and Bandai start making Gundam X, Gundam W, Gundam Turn A, Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, Gundam IBO and Gundam Built Fighters.

Now it's like chess board. 2 set of masters and servants. And a new piece call ruler. And Saber has to be a blond girl. But, it's not Arthur.

And it's a fresh spin on the Fate series. We are getting too much with all the 'alternate' ending with the F/SN. Now Saber's master is really kick ass geezer. It's seems A-1 is pulling lots of thing in. The combat do look impressive. The characters are cooky enough to have an interesting master servant relationship. If this keep up Type-Moon can pull thins one off.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Fate/Apocrypha
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »
1:

>Moves a pawn into the middle of the board.
>CHECKMATE!

Contrived Fate/- adaptation emulating Code Geass.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:23 AM »
1:

Let it be known that I have never followed the Fate Universe, and Fate/ZERO was the only show I completed watching. Been meaning to watching Fate UBW, however.

I'm not sure what to make out of this show yet, at this show. At this point, the characters (especially the Masters) seem... bland. Like, nowhere as interesting as the ones in F/Z. I can't appreciate the Fate Universe, and F/Z is my only reference benchmark so I don't really have any opinions yet at this point.

Let's just see.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »
That's because, despite what the frothing lunatic fanboys of this franchise think, the characters in Fate are often uninteresting, one dimensional, often moronic, characters.  Fate/Zero was an improvement in this regard, but I think that was due to an already established canon existing and Nasu being forced to write, y'know, pasts for people who already act the way they do in the finished product.  He had to actually explain why these morons are the way they are.  Even Arturia got a dose of it, so we understand a bit better why she seems like a grump all the time later.  Zero made sure that not only were the Masters given a lot of depth to explain their situations, but also the Heroic Spirits.  Alexander is still one of the better characters Nasu has written.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Rei

• Nothing
    • Google+
    • Rei366's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Rei366

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 11:39:59 PM »
Nasu being forced to write pasts
Ah? I thought that Zero was only the adaptation of a derived product (?byproduct?) youth novel of his game written by a novelist/scenarist.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
Oops, you're correct.  It was a novel written by Gen Urobuchi, which makes Kinoko Nasu look even worse.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:27 AM »
2:

...so Black Berserker is Frankenstein, but is a raging loli named Fran. Oh boy, never mind that Frankenstein is actually the doctor, not monster but... urgh, never mind.

I'm not getting good vibes from this show. I'm trying hard not to compare this show to Fate/ZERO since it's the only Fate series I've watched, but on its own merit, nothing seems particularly interesting. Maybe the new class Ruler would be potentially interesting, I dunno. And Sawashiro Miyuki, oh you can never do wrong.

Oh Spartacus. Christ.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:17:03 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 05:48:21 AM »
3:

...so why did Frankenstein create a monster girl in the first place, one that decided to kill herself because she didn't get a partner she wanted? I don't get it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 06:20:05 AM »
4~5:

Yeah, I don't really care for any of the characters in this show. Not even Siegfried.

The pace is all over the place. A number of Servants are already down for the count, and so the pace seems to be moving way fast, especially for a two-cour show. Things are just happening way too fast for me.

And I must admit: I am still trying to figure which Servant is what class, and who belongs to which faction. Still.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
All the talking in 4 and 5 are to save up budget for the combat in 6.

F/A is not F/SN. And they keep going back the Arturia. So this is really muddy the waters in already confusing situation. In that case, where is F/Z berserker. I was hoping to see Lancelot.

BTY, does that makes Mordred a homunculus?

After the Servants battle, the fight between the Masters seems lame. The Servants fight are just power slug fest. I was hoping the Masters got some good tactics or tricks up their sleeves. But non I seen. And fingers as shotgun shells? I think the writers stuff must be watching TAOFLEDERMAUS on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEZ7cqaZzYLeyWfTkelkEA

It seems no matter what happens. all Fate series will be link to F/SN. Unlike Gundam, if there is a alternate universe, there is no Armuro or Char, except in UC universe. So F/A is not an alternate universe, but a parallel universe. And they may cross the Stein:Gate and enter F/SN world. Great for F/SN fans, but it's just sloppy writing.

edited
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:23:48 PM by Gadget »

Offline Gadget

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
I concluded that it's plot-less with some servants back story.

Offline Herought

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
I watched Fate Zero and thought the anime had a real potential.. but after watching fate state night unlimited blade works I was so freaking disappointed on how the story went. They just killed Illyasviel the daughter of the old protagonist without being aired that much. I dunno if I should still expect something good to happen from Fate Apocrypha.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »
You're missing some story here.  Zero is a prequel to the Stay Night / Unlimited Blade Works / Heaven's Feel story arcs and Fate Apocrypha comes after those (correction: Apocrypha is its own thing).  Unlimited Blade Works isn't the only story between Zero and Apoc, it is just the only one that has been currently animated by Ufotable (though Heaven's Feel is getting a trio of movies as opposed to a series, the first of which comes out in October this year).  The Stay Night story was.... more or less... animated by Studio DEEN several years ago and DEEN also did a movie for UBW which was very condensed (as you might imagine).  To date, Heaven's Feel has not been animated, though PARTS of it were animated in the DEEN Stay Night adaptation.

Here's how it works:  when you play the original Fate/SN game, you progress through one story arc, then when that one ends, you progress through another, and when that one ends, you progress through the third.  The unusual, and probably stupid, part of Nasu's writing is that any of the three could be the "real" story of what happens during the Grail War, but the reality is that all three are necessary to be the "real" story even though they don't actually interact with each other.  Each story arc starts at the same point and diverges, so each story contains the same characters, but different events, and knowing all the events allows you to know what "all" is going on during the Grail War.  Thus, while Fate is a self contained story, you never find out about Shiro and Archer, or the darker secrets of the Grail War until you play UBW and HF.  That's basically how it goes.

As for Illya, she is more or less a doomed character because of what she is.  Just like her mother, Illya is a tool in the Holy Grail War, being the embodiment of the Holy Grail itself.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:21:29 PM by TypicalIdiotFan »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »
I have to admit, Apocrypha pales in comparison to ZERO. I don't feel anything for any of the characters here, probably because the show doesn't bother to explore anyone even up to this point. Not fair to compare the two entire different shows, though.

Maybe I should thank A-1 Pictures for ruining it. At least I don't have to take this show seriously. And maybe I should make time to watch UBW.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 11:48:42 PM »
As for Illya, she is more or less a doomed character because of what she is.  Just like her mother, Illya is a tool in the Holy Grail War, being the embodiment of the Holy Grail itself.

There is Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya. For a magical girl series, it does get quite serious.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up