Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 03:24:35 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Made in Abyss  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Made in Abyss
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
1:

Wow. I feel like I'm watching a good Ghibli film; the sense of adventure is palpable, and the potential is enormous. The exaggerated art style of the characters bothered me a little at first, especially in contrast to the beauty of the setting, but it's very expressive and cute. After a while I didn't mind so much.

My only complaint is that 1000m is not nearly large enough a diameter for everyone to have wild adventures inside.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Made in Abyss
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
Well, seeing as how this manga only exists to make characters suffer, I don't think the mangaka gives a **** about details.  It is all just a device to destroy loli souls.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:32:05 AM »
1:

Without reading the source material, I daresay that this is the best first episode of any show airing this season. I mean, is this even anime? It's otherworldly and it felt like entering in a trance.

@TIF, this will be dark sooner or later? Ugh. I just want this world exploration thing to go on.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:02:56 AM »
I'm afraid so.  I've never read the source material, but how grimdark it gets is about all anybody I know who has talks about.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
Thank you. Now I am having reserves in this show. Seeing the kids suffering isn't exactly my cup of tea.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline ckarasu

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »
Yeah, the series gets kinda dark relatively fast. Going by the info in the MAL profile, I don't think that it'll get too far in(and thus, shouldn't get too dark).

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 05:32:35 AM »
1-2:

This is some really good world building.  I agree it doesn't feel like an anime.  The fantastical vertiginous pastoral views and buildings are more reminiscent of old 1990s PC titles like Myst or Riven. The nonstandard character designs and the non-RPG adventure setting are really refreshing too.

Two eps in and we already have an engaging backstory for Riko and Reg that make us want to learn more. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:46:49 AM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 06:22:00 AM »
1:

Hmm, chibi-Tomb Raiders.

This show is amazing. Like what MK said, it does feel like a Ghibli production because of the New World and potentially refreshing adventure. I'm just mesmerized by this world, and the soundtrack. Damn, that soundtrack!

I think this one's a winner.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
Well, seeing as how this manga only exists to make characters suffer, I don't think the mangaka gives a **** about details.  It is all just a device to destroy loli souls.

Is it really all that bad? I've read about 20+ chapters in and
Spoiler for Hiden:
asides from one girl having been turned into a blob, all of the pain and suffering has been a natural consequence of a little girl trying to survive in an incredibly dangerous underground wilderness, bootleg megaman friend or not.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:20:50 AM »
1-2. The background art or the setting is so god damn beautiful... i can't take take my eyes off it. The ending scene in ep 1 was so beautifully executed and well shot. Rarely the landscape shots in anime hit me when the characters look in awe to a distance but in this one i was as mesmerized as Robot-boy.

Best moment of the 2017 so far:D

Oh damn forgot Rakugo Shinjuu.... umm second best moment?

Anyways i guess i can't wait that they go to the Abyss for some good old ADVEEENTUUUUREEEE HOOOOOOO!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
2,3:

I thought this show reminds me of a Ghibli production. But now, it actually reminds me more of another amazingly underrated show: Dennou Coil. The show pays a lot of attention in constructing the world of Abyss, but at the same time, as vast as this world is, the focus is always on the minimal cast and their relationships. I'm expecting some poignant moments along the way.

Speaking of the world, it's simply intriguing to see just how much effort is put into forming the mechanics of the Abyss, from the mysterious curse (I want to see if the show explains this phenomenon; just saying that this exists without explaining its origins would be a waste) to the different layers of depth. The quality of an adventure story is entirely dependent on how well its world is constructed, and this show has been doing a wonderful job.

The characters are also just as amazing. Riko's sheer optimism is just infectious and Regu's morbid curiosity is admirable. From now on, I'm very interested to know how deep (pun!) their relationship will be especially when they descent further into the Abyss.

There's just WIN written all over this show.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:12:16 PM by AC »

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »
1-3:

I got the Ghibli vibe Marid noticed. This show also reminded me a bit of Mushi-shi. The beautiful shots and the grand sense of world building seemed similar to Mushi-shi, although the tones are different.

Oddly enough, my friend also compared it to a "super under the radar show" called Dennou Coil. It was per his recommendation that I picked it up.

I've liked what I've seen so far. It's pretty, the drama so far has pulled at my hear strings, and the world has plenty of intrigue.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
3-4:

Sense of adventure is real here. It's been so long i've felt like that about anime. I wanna see more landscape, more wildlife, more gorgeous shots, more exploration, more relics and moreee ADVENTUUUUUUREEEEE~

God damn it... and people are missing it because of the artstyle of the characters...... maybe.... or maybe it needs more tits or/and male-tits. I dunno?

But all in all... im glad something like this is coming out.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »
4:

It's interesting there's still some sort of light source in the First Layer. Even if there's a distortion field between here and the surface, light from the surface still has to exist first. Does that it gets fully dark when there's no light?

And in fact, what about light source in the Second Layer and so forth?

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »
Coming out of the Abyss to say that as soon as I read the words Dennou Coil my interest was immediately piqued. I've been waiting for another show like Dennou to come out since, well, Dennou came out so color me intrigued. I've had a long standing hiatus with (new) anime but I'll definitely have to check this out.

Edit:

1-5:

I can't tell entirely where this is headed. The second episode, even with a bit too much of a time skip, really laid out the backstory in a way that was as sad as it was adventure inspiring. Then once they begin their journey I think in the next episode it becomes non-stop gorgeous and thrilling adventure. My most obvious comparison of this would be Journey to Agartha, which I believe would've been much better suited as at least a 6 episode OVA if not a full series, so it's nice to have that somewhat fulfilled.

I just wonder if this series is going to use the abyss as a conduit for some deeper emotional underpinnings like in Agartha or Coil or if it will just be a more straightforward adventure series. Either way I'm fine because it's doing adventure very well, though I'm partial to the former because I like a mythos that has an emotional core.

I'm avoiding the manga for now but will probably purchase it since it's coming out in the US soon, but based on reviews from people who have both watched the series and read the manga I feel like I might find the manga better.

Also, kind of a weird thought but I find this show even at its most frightening to still be quite relaxing. For whatever reason things like this or Agartha where there's some exploration of an abyss soothes me. Something about journeying deep underground suggests this layer of protection to me, even if the protection isn't actually there. Odd to say but it's one of the series biggest draws for me and would love it if anyone could provide more recommendations on that front.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:01:40 AM by hayama »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up