Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 09:51:44 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nana Maru San Batsu  (Read 649 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Nana Maru San Batsu
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
1:

The visuals looked liked ass but I have high hopes for this being enjoyable as hell.
Main Girl's seiyuu is inexperienced and boy does it show. I thought she was speaking Chinese when she first spoke. It isn't her voice but rather the sound mixing of her voice.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

Re: Nana Maru San Batsu
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 05:41:23 AM »
1:

I think this is a series reminiscent of early 2010s and that's a good thing. Somehow, it tries to give life over a boring premise. I can do less with the misplaced panty jokes though.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
2:

I am officially on-board with neophyte's voice.
I'm getting some serious Hikaru no Go flashbacks from this show and it aint solely because the show looks like it could have been released in 2002.
Good stuff.

But this could all be fueled by my ever-present Yu Yu Hakusho nostalgia. Who knows.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »
3:

Goin strong

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »
1-3:

In the states this would be at the college level.  And why no STEM questions?  Why only history and literature? 

It is interesting to see how important the anticipatory strategy is, once you realize that another contestant will almost always buzz in early and therefore the reading of the question will rarely be finished. The strategy of play completely changes under such conditions, and not knowing the proper tactics can be costly as Shiki quickly learned (I also wrongly answered with Mary Westmacotte).

I'm glad that Shiki is not an otaku. They even lampshaded it.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
1:

Holy crap Fukami's voice actress is horrible.

2:

She's still ****ing terrible.  Also, the show is not interesting and is just your standard sports anime tropes with buzzers and incomplete questions.  Worse, these kids are all walking geniuses with the commentary being that these questions are relatively easy on the knowledge scale.  No they're not.  Well, some of them are.  The Napoleon question is easy, but the rest delve into some serious niche territories.

I think the real thing that bugs me is that I want to answer the questions, too, but because the point of this nonsense is to see who can buzz in the quickest, figuring out the pattern of questions to give them an edge, I don't get the chance.  That's not entertaining to me.  I am not enthralled by who is the quickest or the best guesser or the best pattern recognizer.  And since the show is scripted, there is no actual intelligence to be gauged here.  Watching Jeopardy and seeing someone rack up big money on their brains is interesting, watching a fictional quiz show is not.

3:

She still sucks.  Anybody want to make a bet on which one of these seiyuu is being pushed by a tie in agency?  Anyone?

Right, I get it, predicting the question helps with inflection and accentuation.  "Soandso was the first shogun of Japan" would lead you to believe that they're asking for a different shogun, whereas "Soandso was the first shogun of Japan" would be asking for a different "first".  The thing is, you still don't know what the **** they're asking.  Maybe they're asking for the first treasurer, or the first concubine.  There's no way any inflection or accentuation is going to tell you what other first person they're asking for, even IF there are stock questions asked all the time and even IF you can assume they're not asking for something really obscure like who the first janitor was, there are still tons of "firsts" in any situation that they could be asking.  And, yes, I know this actually does happen in some academic bowls, but for the most part the question writers mix things up enough where this is mostly impossible.  So instead, we're watching fiction and forced to accept this nonsense as reality.

What is worse is that the show forces you to accept that quiz bowl competitions are just fine with this being how things are.  Obviously, someone came up with the concept of predicting questions first, and got a huge advantage over everybody else, and probably won a lot, so everybody else started doing what he did until everybody was doing the same thing.  That is just how these things evolve.  BUT, instead of not asking the so called "classics" questions, which completely enables this behavior, and instead of making questions a lot less obvious to prevent predictive behaviors, they just roll with it, and everybody is amazed, again not by knowledge, but by someone's ability to recognize patterns.  Is that really what quiz bowls are supposed to be about?  Is the knowledge not that important?  Considering these people can answer obscure as **** history and literature questions so easily leads me to believe that it isn't.  Meanwhile, the questions about anything outside of literature and history and involving non-Japanese things are easy as hell.  Maybe not for a Japanese person, but they were for me.  So I don't get the distribution of question difficulty.  It isn't like I now a crap ton either, but the idea that a lot of these questions are common knowledge, even to Japanese kids, is dubious.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:19:33 AM by TypicalIdiotFan »
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
4:

This show is so early 2000's and I love everything about it. The "pig-tail" girl is't even a tsundere. How pre-2010 is that.

Fukami's seiyuu is so shit, relative to anime voice work, but I love her voice. Stroke my cochlea more.
Okay. Taking the gloves off, her performance in general is just garbage. But Fukami don't matter and neither does immersion so allow me to indulge.

Speaking of voices, Ayane Sakura showing some range.
Talk about failing the bechdel test. That all-girl school segment was impressive

A rather nonsensical episode but w/e. This show has so charmed me that my commenting boarders on a conflict of interest.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:18:22 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »
5:

Keepin' it simple, keepin' it fun.

It was nice to see whatshisface contribute in a non-otaku capactity as well as see Fukami's genuine appreciation wasn't limited to MC.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:20:56 PM »
6:

Game centers have quiz games. Convenient.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
7:

Yes, blindly seeking general knowledge is clearly an effecient and effective means of amassing quizbowl-specific information. Why did Gokuto approve of such a method?

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 05:51:53 PM »
8:

Pretty sure Hinduism far more observers than Buddhism.

Did not know United Mexican States was a thing.

The rape glance Trap shot MC at the end was mildly amusing given the Church setting.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
9:

"My Japanese Humanism" - The Alternate.
How dare this Akira have a peverse, relative to our stalwart leads, approach to quiz. He must be the Devil! Let us vanquish him so that quiz can be enjoyed solely in the manner we deem appropriate. Cause everyone knows: when two parties of differing ideals do battle, the winner of said clash was clearly in the right. Some deep shit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:59:18 AM by Zeitgeist »

Offline DankKanti

• Professional Narcissist
  • Guess who

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 06:18:15 PM »
I'm a sucker for sports anime and this one checks all the sports anime boxes with just enough originality to it (i've never seen a sports anime about quiz shows) to keep me interested. 

Actually, that's not true.  I was starting to tire of it a little (the characters are pretty cookie cutter as far as sports anime go), but the latest episode with the cross dressing kid messing with all the other contestants had me rolling, so I'm back on board for the moment. 

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »
11:

The sneeze strategy is quite interesting. Once someone buzzes, all participants must provide an answer based on the amount of the question that has been read. Since providing a wrong answer results in a deduction of points and dipping into the red leads to disqualification...once you have a lead you can be real unreasonable given these rules.
While I did enjoy the narrative not taking a purist approach and shitting on Akira for such a play-style, his actions were seen as a childish nuisance rather than a legitimate strategy. Why arent the other characters indulging in such tactics? What is the point of introducing a rile scheme which lends itself to complexity(being able to freely distribute points, subtract points from others, force people into answering incorrectly) if all the participants are just going to adopt the same "holier than thou" "I can win just by believing in my training" mentality? Sure this system is irrelevant to those, like Gokuto and Gokuto's rival, who can just power through, but it does genuinely allow for upsets and uncertainty between the more well-balanced competitors. The show just wasn't interested in taking advantage of its own concepts and that is disappointing.

Also everyone's skills are incredibly inconsistent. Mikiura needed like thre question to amass 10+ points and then apparently did ****-all for 10 rounds. Wtf was Gokuto Rival Guy doing this whole time? He shouldn't be on their level. W/e. I'm more here for just the questions. Not that I answer them. Rather I'm interested in what questions are asked and how they are asked. It is interesting to see what a Japanese property asks regarding culture and history.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
12:

Koshiyama's meta logic for his final answer was nifty. The fact that he ultimately overthought it was even more nifty. The fact that his answer led to a cute scene between himself and Mikiura was even more nifty sill.

I can only hope Akira retains his character(insofar as his style of play) as he develops into a more basic-bitch tier person.
Akira is too MGTOW for this narrative; crossdressing and all. Why must "assholes" and misanthropes constantly play the sadsack secretly yearning for companionship? "Muh Japanese Humanism" that's why.
Akira briefly mentioned it, granted as a shallow pseudo-justification, but what is wrong with a differing play-style? Beyond just that play-style, what is wrong with having  different motivation? How is this incredibly insular hobby, quiz bowl, going to grow if you those involved aren't open to differing approaches? Welcome to the ever-present conundrum that is nerd-om. Meet a fellow anime fan? They don't like the shows you do. Filthy Casual. Meet a fan of a show you enjoy? They don't enjoy it for the reasons you do. Pleb. Nerds are never satisfied and can never compromise since they long began to self-identify as an outlier. Were they ever to meet a true comrade their entire false sense of self would shatter like the ever hollow artifice it always was. What am I on about? Who knows.
This ending was surprisingly satisfying. A solid conclusion to an opening arc which setup the participants and ends on a promise of more to come. Though I suppose I am only satisfied by such a non-ending because I don't actually care whether I ever see more.

5/10.
Yet another watchable seasonal anime that would otherwise have gone unnoticed/dropped. Take that those who don't partake in airing anime. 3 hours spent over the course of 12 weeks and I netted a perfectly adequate experience. Who needs a backlog comprised of critacally acclaimed "classics"? Just spin that seasonal roulette baby.

Pages: [1]   Go Up