Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 01:41:57 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kakegurui  (Read 666 times)

Offline Stark700

Kakegurui
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
1:

Whoa, this was...quite something. The OP song as a stylish eerie theme to it.

Yumeko and Maeri immediately stands out as the more noticeable characters while I'm not really impressed by Ryouta) so far. Character expressions are extremely noticable in this show from the start. We got a gambling game already between Yumeko and Maeri. Loved the amount of psychology they added into this first episode without wasting much time.

Good start so far, I like where this is going. Hope they adapt the manga as much as possible.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Kakegurui
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
1:

The only other show I've seen with this much swagger and flair is JoJo. Should be fun.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
Seriously, Stark, you can do more than start discussion threads for shows.  You can make a second, or even a third!, post in the same thread.  It's okay.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »
1:

Show certainly is stylish.

So the show will live and die on the intrigue of the games as well as the surrounding scenario. If the plethora of similar anime and manga can serve as an indicator, Japanese Creators can come up with some crazy creative games and scenarios.
I do enjoy Main Girl's style. She figured everything out but that only gets her in the game and she still needed luck to draw the proper card. After all, it isn't gambling if everything is simply keikaku doori.
I hope the dude is a one-off character. He adds nothing and negatively impacted my enjoyment. When they do the inevitable team game it is gonna be rough.
None of the 3 characters introduced can carry this show. Here's hoping each game isn't played against a Meari-type. Or Main Girl shows some charisma. She has the gambling spirit of Tokuchi and none of the charisma. She should be haughty more often. Though I suppose her demure demeanor could have been specific to this situation. She had always intended to bait Meari. Time will tell.

Overall, it was ok. But the moment a game they play is underwhelming or an opponent is basic as **** I'm out, or atleast skipping the episode(s). Anime does't have the benefit that manga has where you blow through the shitty chapters in all of 10 minutes.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:41:18 PM »
Seriously, Stark, you can do more than start discussion threads for shows.  You can make a second, or even a third!, post in the same thread.  It's okay.
Don't bother, he basically makes a living doing this stuff with every episode thread on MAL.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 03:17:55 AM »
Well, I'm not going to let him inflate his ego here too much longer, then.  Either he starts participating or he can go back to lurking.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:27:52 AM »
1. Really enjoyed the first round and those faces were god damn... AND I WAS THINKING THE EXACTLY THE FLAIR OF JOJO in this one is GOOOOOD. (I just love JOJO)

Also love this kind of shows with gambling themes. Obvious comparison with Kaiji is bound to happen (which also is a show i hold dearly in my heart)

Reasoning for having gambling go on in the school or being this supremely popular is pretty weak though. Just cause everyone is rich? Or did i miss something?

Offline ShadowpulseKDH

• I Pray For The Downfall Of Others

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »

Reasoning for having gambling go on in the school or being this supremely popular is pretty weak though. Just cause everyone is rich? Or did i miss something?

I think it's supposed to be an "art of the deal"/psychological manipulation training sort of thing. Financial subterfuge perhaps?

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 11:45:11 PM »
Trying to pick at the realism of the setting is a short trip. Yes, it doesn't make sense.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 05:03:24 AM »
2. It was fun. Plain and simple. Really warming up to this one. Just the facial expression alone make it worthy.

Just a question... why so many female characters....? Some kind of balance please? Or is it gonna go yuri? Saw only 1 guy in the council which she is gonna obviously gonna fight against in a gamble per episode format. Eh whatever... seems fun still.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 05:29:58 AM »
1-2:

Keep on being irreverent Kakegurui. I love the camp in the show, but damn, her opponents use underhanded methods in as much as possible. no? Well, She is OP so... I wish to see how far Jabami can go insane.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »
2:

An extremely pointless episode which rehashed the first.  20-odd minutes all for the purpose of a single shot that shows the Student Council.

The scenario was stupid. The solution was stupid. Main Girl just goes off and the audience has zero hope of understanding why she is winning and then they just explain afterword. Riveting. Would've been nice to know along the way. So far we have had two games which were the exact same. Opponent secretly cheating. Opponent talking shit. Main Girl loses a game. "This isn't even my final form" Main Girl proceeds to win cause reasons. Opponent flips their shit.
Also Main Dude reacts and pointlessly objects like he is a member of House's team of doctors. If he is gonna be there for no reason at least have him key-in the audience - oh wait. He is shit and would have no idea why Main Girl is winning.

All the needless visual flair does nothing to obviate crappy, repetitive bullshit. This is starting to look like more a meme show than a Kaiji.

Thus far there has been zero strategy and zero intrigue. I'm only here because of goodwill earned by better shows. Meaning, other gamble-based shows were awesome, in fact I've never seen a bad one, surely this will be good. The games were shit(even without the cheating). The Student Council and their games had better have some substance .

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »
1-2:

This is... shonen battle Kangoku Gakuen.

Well I guess Im not interested in this then.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
3:

Yep, this show is a shitty meme.
Shame on me.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 02:33:00 AM »

Im finding more and enjoyment out of the characters craziness and the campy mood of the show than the actual gambling. Supremely enjoyable but makes you wish it had both sides covered.

The judge basically already revealed that they are cheating here by saying that cheating is allowed unless you get caught. Such a shame really but i won't let that dampen on the fun of the over the top JOJOOOOOO flavor.

With horny teenage gambling girls.......... okay it's trashy as hell but in an enjoyable way

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
5. Daaaayum really got into the episode today. Maybe because the cheating was so open you could kinda analyze the game a bit and it was just a pleasure of overflowing over the top reactions and just the perfect amount of trashy-esque fun. Even the Yuri baiting doesn't bother me that much:D

It still.... makes me wonder if the matches would actually use strategies that wouldn't involve cheating.... how good would that be...

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 06:02:10 AM »

It's been conisistently enjoyable so far but i feel this episode was quite a low point. On the level of not even being able to see most of the gambles the fun meter was dropped to a level zero entertaiment value. Yumemi also was just a weak personality wise. In a show where there will not be much character development between the opponents or anything resembling of a complexly written enemies i wish to have somewhat over the top personalities have fun otherwise. Best example AGAIN is JOJO. Many of the random encounters were still memorable and bursting with over the top fun-ness and out of this world personalities.

Sigh i hope next episode will be better... Still one of the more enjoyable shows i've been following this season so far.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »

AND THE EPISODE WAS BETTER!

ANNNNNNNND SO FAR NO CHEATING. At all.... like is that even possible? Also here's to hope that the resolution also happen's through mind games and not some underhanded trick. On par with the Mary and Yumeko versus the delinquent guy and his slave match.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND..............................those faces. 10/10 It's on the level of Golden Kamui manga reaction faces. (Btw waiting for that anime to pop out like a matafaka)

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »

YES!!! YEEEEEES!!!!!

So in the end i got what i wanted with over the top flair. No cheating but just a battle of chicken with different ideologies clashing with lot's of fun intensity. Yea we can argue that it's pretty obvious that she was gonna win in that sense because Yumeko is OP but... it was satifying. And like i said no cheating.

But why biting out your own fingernails? All of them? I must say it was awesome scene in terms of ridiculousness and it was fun but.... WHYYYY? AND IT WOULD HUUUUUURT LIIIIIKE.......

Oh well...

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 05:06:59 AM »

And end it with a bland there might be a second season type of open ending. Nobody is satisfied. I don't know but i guess the last game is not in the manga because it was basically completely pointless. To just keep up the status quo. It was nice to see Suzui have something to do and i admit the gambling addiction of Yumeko being infectious and affecting Suzui in this episode was fun and a satisfying way to show what has changed in him. However superficial it might be. With glowing red eyes and all... but yeah... this episode really didn't need to exist.

The show all in all.... pretty enjoyable. It had highs and low's and it probably irks people off that it really isn't that deep of a gambling show. A possibility to analyze the games is fairly limited due to the nature of the games which involve cheating in ways that are hard for the viewer to take into account when making their own theories or ideas. Some matches on the other hand are fun addrenaline filled B-class fun with no hands barred lots flavour in the animation, fun over the top reactions annnd it run's pretty well that in it's hand.

It's like i thought in the beginning... It's HornyGamblingTeenAddictsInNormal?RichHighSchool.....with Yuri baiting. And cute girls. And what more would you want? (Maybe a lot but... i was fine with it)

Normal 7/10
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up