Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:36:50 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu  (Read 273 times)

Offline Stark700

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »
1:

Well, animation definitely improved thanks to ufotable working on this Touken project.

This imo also took on a more serious approach at the franchise compared to the other series; not to mention, there's actual more violence and even some blood. The world setting is what I had expected. For some reason, I find Kunihiro to be more likeable already. Kanesada is badass and he should be with since that's the type of guy he is.

I think it's a decent start. Wasn't a big fan of the Touken franchise but I'm impressed by the ufotable version so far. Oh and I think soundtrack improved too.
Going to give this show a chance.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »
1:

While the Japanese influences are clear, something about this makes me feel like I'm watching an epic western fantasy. Was decent enough.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
1:

Don't think I'll ever like ufotable's art design

Don't see this going anywhere.

I'm reminded of Drifters and I didn't make it past the third episode of that.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 05:40:11 AM »
1-2:

Somehow, I found this adaptation miiiilleeees better than that of Zestiria and God Eater. The animation is on point, the pacing is okay and the action scenes are fun to watch. Also, you got characters with differing personalities. I am not so sure whether they will go beyond two-dimensional but I had fun seeing them in the screen. Or probably that's the 2D gayness in me that wants ikemen dudes on the screen. Either way, I am in.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 06:10:45 AM »
1:

At first, I thought I was watching any other ufotable eye candy. Then, the invasion of the bishies came and I thought, ah well no. I thought the fox opening up multiple windows couldn't throw me off enough, it turns out that the first episode is nothing more than sleek action sequences and trash-talking bishies.

And best of all, I have no f**king clue who these people are, what the premise of the show is and who the villain is. All I know (or had to deduce) is that these people are time travelers who have to save history from God knows what.

Is this show going to be another Tales of Zestiria i.e. a pretty show that bores me to death? Maybe. I will give this the 3-episode test and see how it turns out.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »
2:

Argh, I get it.

I know it's an adaptation of a game, i.e. it's mostly bound to be boring. Archetypal bishie characters that are adaptations of historical figures, clashing their egos in fictional feudal Japan and showing off them cool movies. Time-travel paradoxes? Not to worry; History Restraining Force is here to save the day from the butterfly effects! (oh yeah, and them Time Retrograde Army baddies)

I don't care anymore at this point. It's just like Tales of Zestiria, but this seems more pandering. I call this Free! Feudal Japan.

I'm dropping this. Not even ufotable's prettiness and Kalafina ED can make me stay.

P.S. the voice of that boy in shorts is terribly weird.
Pages: [1]   Go Up