Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 04:57:41 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SukaSuka  (Read 2148 times)

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Re: SukaSuka
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 02:47:24 AM »
10:

Two episodes left and still nothing is happening.  Well, Willem did pull a From the New World and Pogo'ed the enemy's true identity, which I suppose is something.  And because of that he did crash and propose to Ctholly (which is something you almost never see in a anime) but still NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

By that I mean how this show was set up.  From the beginning this series was an angst-fest where we were introduced to a dozen cute kamikaze girls who are doomed to die in battle. We all had our hankies ready as we watched the little fairies playing cutely and running around on the grass just enough to miss them when they inevitably bite it. But now here we are in the final arc of the cour, and none of them has died yet, nor are any of them even in jeopardy.  Even Ctholly's personality death is being drawn out and might not actually happen.

I should have done my research and realized this is one of those drawn-out LN series where the author writes the first LN and it is a hit, so the author drags the story out endlessly in a series of follow-on volumes to milk the franchise as much as possible.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
10:

I keep wondering to myself if this show would be improved if we didn't have the pandering sex replacement known as the venedium poisoning massages.  I mean, Jesus Christ.  I haven't enjoyed everything about this show, and aside form a couple of unique points it has mostly been "by-the-numbers" J-RPG VN fantasy bullshit.  Numerous references to otaku cultural stuff, moe archetypes, character cliches, and so on and so forth.  We still haven't hit tragedy yet, which is undoubtedly coming in the next episode, but I've been saying that since the start.

I'm just not sure I'd care at this point.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
11:

The rapid backstory flashbacks should have happened earlier and slower to give us time to digest them.

Willem's passive resignation and fatalism are starting to remind me of Kotarou's numbness in Rewrite.  I'm also getting a feeling of deja-vu with the confusing high-speed backstory, the lurching stop-and-go plot progression, the post apocalyptic humanity-sucks-and-needs-to-die stuff, and the fact that I've lost empathy for the MC.  Why did Willem just sit on his butt at Ctholly's bedside as she faded away instead of fighting like crazy to grab that mental-boost dug weapon from the caverns in order to at least make some attempt to save her memory?  He does love her, right?

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »
12:

While I am happy to be wrong about Kareno dragging out Willem and Ctholly's arc, and the final ep's battle scenes with the reprise of Scarborough Fair were by far the best of the series, it still doesn't make up for the sagginess of the series between the first and last ep.

Kareno dropped most of Willem's backstory, which by all accounts would have been far more interesting to watch than the interminable scenes of cute fairy girls doing cute things and the dragging out of Ctholly's personality death. The memory-fixer dug weapon was entirely forgotten, and the whole memory loss issue was a nonfactor in the ending anyway.

You could watch just the first and last eps of the series and get a decent OVA out of this.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
12 (FINAL):

So I'm going to assume that was a total non-ending because there are more light novels to this, with the old adage "if there's no body, there's no death" kind of thing.  While the other fairy girls think Ren and Ctholly are dead (note we don't see a picture of Wilhem anywhere), and Wizard McBeardstein says his magic can't detect them (as he conveniently walks away at the right moment for the hint to the audience to be dropped that they might be), I am fairly sure that none of them are, including Ctholly despite taking numerous bio-spears through the body and literally losing her mind, because by this point if nobody is going to tragically die in someone's arms, then it ain't happening.  Ctholly might be mind dead, or maybe she'll be the Messiah of the Fairies who somehow avoids being absorbed back by Elq and become the new Elq or some kind of other bullshit magic don't gotta explain shit twist, who knows.

Regardless, we're done here, and we can only go on what we have for this series and this series alone.  Marid and I are on similar wavelengths here, as neither of us seem to be particularly thrilled with the meandering done between the Scarborough Fair bookends.  It wasn't just that Willhelm wasn't given enough backstory, but that the entire world wasn't.  Where did these animal creatures come from?  Were they there back before the Beasts took over or did they come after?  What was their involvement with the humans war against the Gods?  Did they fight against humans or did they stay out of it?  What was with the numerous shots of what looked like modernish (WW2 certainly) artillery and battlefields?  Is this supposed to be somehow parallel to our world but with Gods and frog-people?  Other than the fairies and the Dug Weapons, what have these people done to try to stop the Beasts from killing them all?  Why DO the Beasts try to kill them all?  What is Wizard McBeardingham's ultimate goal for all this shit?

Beyond all that, the shocking truth was just your average Soylent Green moment, which had about as much impact as a fly headbutting a windshield.  I don't have a problem with that being "the stinger", but there wasn't a whole lot of dramatic buildup to it.  It was suspected by anybody familiar with fiction, then unloaded to us in an info dump.  Wizard McBeardenhol could have told us all this ages ago, as could the demon thing with him, but it was pointlessly and, thus, obnoxiously kept secret from the audience just so it could be revealed later.  Like I said, tho, there wasn't a ton of impact to it, so why not do it earlier?  Let Wilhelm keep that secret for a while, making it even more troubling for him when he willingly sends the Fairy Warriors off to kill his former friends and family.  I would think it would be more traumatic for the fairies to know they've been killing emnerwihts, especially if they were people Wilhelm may have known.

Anyway, at the end of the day what was the point of this story?  The author wanted to tell the story of a man with no home and no family finding a home and a family with a woman who will eventually die.  The purpose was to make a tragedy, and so that part is well executed insofar as we do get to care about Wilhelm and Ctholly and they do make significant progress with each other over the course of the story until the inevitable end of memory loss leading to effective "death" of a character.  Everything else, though, is half-assed, which is what I expect out of most light novels in the first place.  The world building is subpar, with the audience just having to accept based on cynical knowledge of JRPGs and fantasy settings, that everything just is.  Characters are developed poorly, with the import being on Ctholly's and Wilhelm's developing feelings for each other being the only thing relevant.  The backdrop plot is likewise poorly executed, with the Beasts having little to no significance other than to slaughter tons of innocent animal fantasy people and force our Fairy heroes into possibly tragic situations that never come to fruition until the climax, and then it happens way too fast relative to what we'd seen before (Ren starts to fall almost opening a Fairy Gate after barely a couple of hours of combat, while her peers can go for days without problems).  Etc.

The synopsis interested me and the use of Scarborough Fair as a background piece in the first episode hooked me, but after that I kept waiting for something amazing to happen and it never did.  It isn't bad, and is quite enjoyable, with decent animation, and enough cuteness to keep romance or moe fans happy.  So it isn't a pointless watch, but I was hoping for more.

6/10.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
The back story is just drips to hook us. So what or who is that red head kid? Why is she taking Ctholly's memories?

The relationship between Ctholly and Wilhelm feels forced. And they try to make it easier to swallow by playing tear jerking music, Wilhelm's flash back, and cute kids running around. But what is the thing that make them start liking each other? The message? It's happen they just 'fall in love' with each other. And the last human wanted to have a family.  There is no relationship. They just 'fall in love'. And this is just typical anime/LN stuff. Take Tsuki Ga Kirei. Some how, the  boring couple develop a relationship, and pull us, the audience in.

It's like waiting for something to happen. When it happened, it's over. It's like 'WTF happen'. And with all the kids, they could have pull a Usagi Drop on us. But, with the exception of the medical check up, they are mainly on the fringe as the story are on the Big Sisters.

I really want to like this. It got nice music. The kids are well played. The world is interesting as the last human. It's like all the ingredients for a good show, but they mix in wrongly. It's not that bad, but wishing it to be better.

6 for me.

And Ctholly did died. Cause she was reborn as a blue hair baby. And Ren died too. She was recycle into another Luck and Logic spin off.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
Yeah, that bit at the end with Ctholly baby bugs me.  Was that supposed to be a reincarnation or was that when she WAS born and those were the older fairies she looked up to (that they mention in this episode)?

If that's the hook into the next book, then meh.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
Ctholly is as dead as anyone can be in fantasy or SF  (cf Spock in Wrath of Khan).  The consensus among the LN readers is that the baby Ctholly is a flashback.

The scene with the two plinks in McBeard's life detector bowl is anime original, presumably indicating that Willem and Ren made it. (Ctholly had detoxed Ren's red eyes back to brown at the last second.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:50:23 PM by HuuskerDu »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up