Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 04:40:51 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SukaSuka  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: SukaSuka
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
4:

Pretty great "life goes on" episode...is what I thought until the show trolled me. I had better get some dead girls at some point.

I'm going to have to re-read the start of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Nobody Dies just to decompress.

Jesus Christ! Is that a 600,000 word fanfic?

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
Well, the Bible has roughly the same number of words depending on the translation.  I did mention 'start'.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:10:51 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:38 PM »
4:

I kept waiting for the animal girl with the tiddies to assassinate Captain Lizard.  I mean, she enters the scene, asks for Limeskin's status, talks about keeping her blade sheathed, and then he shows up.  It was weird, but I guess I read too much into the situation.  Maybe she's his bodyguard or something.

Also, did Willem deserve getting slapped for that?
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 01:01:06 AM »

Also, did Willem deserve getting slapped for that?

No butter cake?

What the heck was Willem power?

Offline Gadget

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
Pacing is a mass. It seems that the story is being rushed. The background setting is nice, and it has gone to waste.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »
5:

This may have been the worst episode of this entire anime season...that I finished. Everything was either pointless or hilarious attempts at character and drama.
Well there was one great scene. The hallucination brought about by the street performers was genuinely unsettling. Shame I couldn't appreciate it cause it clashed so hard with the tone.

OH YEA! I forgot to mention last episode how much I love the little golem guards. That dogpile last episode was great.

My god. The lose of detail in that "wrapped ram" between a single shot was jarring as ****. And yes, I did chuckle at the ram-like humanoid that was tending the kiosk.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »
5:

Again we get swerved with a cut-short battle that lasts only a minute.  A lot of viewers are complaining that this is an action show with hardly any action in it, but personally I don't mind being teased that way - I like the unpredictability.  (You just know that at some point one of the girls is going to get whacked in a shocking way while simply standing around.)

"Bang!"  Willem is awesome. 

Ctholly too. She said "koi" not "daisuki".  (It typically takes multiple seasons for a romance reach that point if even then.)

I like Willem's Zen-like variation on the Serenity Prayer: "I just don't want to accept anything but the stuff I can't accept."   

Ctholly has visions of a slaughter, as if she is remembering something, or channeling someone, with very dark memories. Perhaps it was the redhead we saw in the first pre-OP?  We see a glimpse of the same redhead in the preview I think. (Souwong Kandel?)  She's not a past love interest - that was most likely the brunette homemaker we saw in a flashback just before Willem went off to his final battle, never to return to eat her butter cake.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »
5:

I'm okay with everything in this show except the blatant out of place otaku fetishist pandering commentary from the one character.  Hell, actually it comes from several.  I would have hoped that everything anime otaku archetype and trope related would have been wiped out by the beasts a long time ago.

Alas.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:04 AM »
6:

We get an exposition explosion, as if the writer suddenly realized "Hey, the cour is half over and nothing is happening, so let's go warp 9 on the plot!".  That was too fast.  It made Willem's snap decision to refuse a real opportunity to end the war seem rash and ill-considered, where in a slower and more carefully developed sequence we could have empathized with his desire not to sacrifice his fairy troupe despite the fact that it might finally end the 500 year war and stop the creation of endless future cohorts of kamikaze faeries.  It's a heart-over-head decision, yes, and clearly the show's been setting it up so that Willem will break in the heart direction.  But the way it was rushed so dang fast, with no attempt by him to understand the situation better, or even to ask questions, that it just makes Willem look like he's not thinking with his head at all.  And then in the middle of this huge blast of exposition there is a clumsy attempt to hide from Willem the real reason the 17 monsters were created, which was so ridiculous and done so ham-handedly, that it makes Willem seem like an even bigger idiot.

The next ep preview looks like it will grind to a halt again with more SOL in the girls' dorms (title "Home, Sweet Home").  The pacing is a mess.  I was hoping that since the original writer was penning the adaptation that this show might avoid the pacing problems that plague so many other adaptations, but apparently not.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
6:

I'm all for exposition, hard-fag and all, but this just straight neutered any intrigue or investment.
I will say that if MC remains as a technician or engineer this is at least different

the use of an actual child for the unsettling sequences is ****ing fantastic

All of this was for nothing.
Ugh.
 "Why didn't you tell him the truth?" - This isn't even my final form
I ****ing hate when exposition characters withhold exposition for absolutely no ****ing reason.
Some self-indulgent dialogue
Some nonsense
Romance? I preferred the older detached father dynamic.
I literally couldn't care less.
The main guy is nothing and the main girl is but a mite above him.

7:

Rhan was mildly interesting

Romance? Ugh.
I'm glad this entire episode was a rehash of the previous.
What is this, three shit episodes in a row?
So much wasted potential.

OMG THAT CLOSING SEQUENCE.
I dont know what was worse: The starting of the ship - implying the military officers present didn't know beasts react to sound
                                                                                                           or
                                            The beast splitting its lower half in two in order to form dual fists which then proceeded to punch the ship.
I am in no way interested to see these 2 new girls and how they mesh with the girls established.

Show blows and I don't see how anyone could be invested. I care not for the pushed character dynamics and I don't even know the plot. These girls gonna die? Mc gonna affect anything? I don't know where the MC fits into the established plot. Does his role start and end as caretaker to these girls? More importantly, I don't care. I'm out. The show has had more than enough time to both facilitate, and act upon, intrigue yet ****-all has happened. Whatever I gave it a shot.

P.S.
Again, I hate the aesthetic.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
I'm all for exposition, hard-fag and all

Wh...?

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »
I'm all for exposition, hard-fag and all

Wh...?

As in hard science fiction. With regard to most fantasy or sci-fi anime, chances are I'd get more enjoyment from reading the wikia page detailing the universe rather than experiencing the actual story. SukaSuka included it would seem.

I bastardize the term but I simply mean I'm very much about world building.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
7:

I was wrong. We got some plot progression, and we learned more about Ctholly. We were introduced to some new characters. Glick is back (and he's interesting). 

Basically this was a setup ep.  None of the kamikaze faeries have died yet despite all the early foreboding about their doomed fate.  I do like the unpredictability so far.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:54 AM »
8:

Good episode, all around.  I'm glad we have a main male character who is neither dense nor uncaring about the romantic potential he has with Chtholly.  He honestly does view the other kids as his kids, but Chtholly is special, and is slowly but surely becoming his love interest, whether he likes it or not.  He recognizes his growing feelings, and for that alone, he's 100 times better than most male leads.  Sure, he has a reason to try to keep her at a distance, but a man can only be a not-a-man so long before things give out.

Of course, the real focus on this episode was how much tragedy is being set up with Chtholly.  Growing love feelings, memory loss, putting herself in unnecessary danger (you KNOW the rescue trip isn't going to go well), continual growth of the other persona, and so on and so forth.  We're going to get lots of bitch tears here, at some point.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
9:

This is Plastic Memories all over again, where all the elaborate world-building in the the series' first half is getting tossed aside and the story has become simply a tear jerker about a non-human ingénue who falls in love just before her personality death.

Ctholly is doing everything right though. She is fully aware of what is happening to her, so she lives in the moment.  She refuses to pity herself or to be pitied; she soldiers on. Willem too.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:11:36 PM by HuuskerDu »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up