Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 08:34:30 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: SukaSuka  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Stark700

SukaSuka
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
1:

This is pretty interesting.

The setting gives an atmospheric feel and has a lot of potential for world building. We are introduced to Willem and Kutori pretty early in this episode. Kutori is a kind girl imo despite being a little strange.

Technical wise, it has smooth animation but the music is what stands out the most so far. There's is some mild comedy but for most parts, I think the show maintains a melancholic feel for storytelling so far. Good start.

Also, the kids are adorable!

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Re: SukaSuka
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
1:

Have your hankies ready.  The sads start right at the first scene followed by an opening with the insta-weep ballad Scarborough Fair (sung in English with the traditional lyrics, not the 1960s Simon & Garfunkel anti-Vietnam ones).

The original LN author (Akira Kareno) is penning the adaptation for Satelight, which did a superlative job on The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, so the adaptation should be in good hands.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
1:

So I literally broke down during that initial montage having mentally replaced the song with "Legend of Dragon". I was triggered. Too cathartic.

Other than that, pretty boring. Main Girl has the most Main Girlinest look ever, which I ****ing hate. I hate moderately long hair complete with two little not-twintail. Rounding out her boring Main Girl look was her boring Main Girl personality. Nothing presented, outside of Pannibal's design, gives me any cause to ever think of this series ever again.

Edit: Shirasaka Koume. That's her ****ing name. I was trying to remember the name. Seeing how Pannibal was my sole reason for retention, remembering I already have an entire narrative regarding Koume I can effectively forget this series. Though I do prefer blue over blonde.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:11:17 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
1:

I was not ready for Scarborough Fair to show up in an anime, but I went and looked and apparently it has shown up more often than I realize.  Huh.  Doesn't matter, caught me off guard and turned that beginning sequence from fluffy nonsense to magical and awesome.  That's what good musical choices can do for a scene.

The synopsis is still what I am running on with my interest in watching this.  Don't get me wrong, Kikuko Inoue has not shown up in enough anime lately and having her as a literal "man eater" sultry type is how I prefer my Belldandys dammit, but she alone isn't worth watching a show, sadly.  The only thing that I am curious about is whether or not he really is the only human left.  Main heroine looks awfully human, but so do the kids, and so does the Troll for that matter, so what do I know.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »
2:

The doom and gloom combined with the girls' ambivalence to losing their lives seems almost too much.

I'm happy that Willem didn't freak out in reaction to Chtholly's request to be kissed, unlike the scaredy-cat virgin dweeb stereotype that we have come to expect in this kind of situation.  Instead he gives her a chaste kiss on the forehead, then he unceremoniously flips her over and rubs the poison out of her system with the attitude of a father changing a dirty diaper.

I really like this guy.  He's an MC with a rare level of maturity that makes me want to learn more about him and the kind of [bleep] he has seen/suffered in his young life.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »

I was not ready for Scarborough Fair to show up in an anime, but I went and looked and apparently it has shown up more often than I realize. 

Appropriately enough, Scarborough Fair also appeared in Gunslinger Girl. I say appropriate cause Gunslinger Girl is all I think about when watching this show.

2:

Ok It is all pretty great.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
1-2:

I am truly desperate for something to watch during the first few days of the week. Trying this.

The premise is a time-displaced protagonist in a post-apocalyptic world with floating islands, populated by demi-humans who live in fear of the giant beasts below, which can only be beaten by special weapons wielded by fairies with poor emotional balance, who all live in an orphanage together, where our protagonist is caregiver alongside a cast of rather thirsty women. This has enough ideas crammed into it to make a several individual anime. Hell, I can name them: Utawaremono 2, Castle in the Sky, Breath of the Wild, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Gunslinger Girl, every harem anime ever. There is a zero percent chance that all of that comes together and is used effectively. The last 25% of the premise all but guarantees melodrama is incoming, so we'll see how hard my patience is tested. 
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
One of the reasons that Tamaru Yamada's version of Scarborough Fair works so well is the key shift.  SF is a medieval ballad written in Dorian mode (Greensleeves, etc), and like all such ballads it is almost always sung in D Dorian (all white keys starting on D) or E Dorian (white keys except F# starting on E).  However, Yamada's version starts on C Dorian (I checked this on my piano). It starts on C with E flat and B flat.  The use of the non-standard C Dorian key gives Yamada's version an extra sad quality at the start.

Then, at the halfway point, the song unexpectedly shifts to D Dorian, creating an uplifting yet still bittersweet quality that is simply awesome.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:02:01 PM by HuuskerDu »

Offline SQA

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:10:22 AM »
One of the reasons that Tamaru Yamada's version of Scarborough Fair works so well is the key shift.  SF is a medieval ballad written in Dorian mode (Greensleeves, etc), and like all such ballads it is almost always sung in D Dorian (all white keys starting on D) or E Dorian (white keys except F# starting on E).  However, Yamada's version starts on C Dorian (I checked this on my piano). It starts on C with E flat and B flat.  The use of the non-standard C Dorian key gives Yamada's version an extra sad quality at the start.

Then, at the halfway point, the song unexpectedly shifts to D Dorian, creating an uplifting yet still bittersweet quality that is simply awesome.

That's impressive.  :o

But the motif is definitely programming for "feels ahead".

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »
However, Yamada's version starts on C Dorian(I checked this on my piano).

Or, uh, B-flat major, starting on the minor second ;).
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »
The tonic is C major not B flat major.  That's why it's Dorian.  (The tonic establishes the key of the song.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:39:20 AM by HuuskerDu »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
/watches the back and forth about keys
/reaches slowly for microwave popcorn bag...

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
3:

And here is angsty all-too-anime bullshit and classic LN exposition delivery I was hoping the series would spare me from.
Toss in some "my ideals are being casually challenged" some "MC is so cool and hawt and casually redefined current military strategy but faints cause he cant be that OP" and man this show is really self-destructing. Is the MC struggling with his memories? Like he questions whether or not they are dreams buts seems also accept them as reality and somewhat act upon them. I get what they were going for with Main Girl this episode but nothing about her struggle resonated with me. My main point of criticism is he didnt actually teach Main Girl any swordsmanship or new techniques. All he did was destabilize her mental state and send her of into battle. Is she supposed to have been made stronger(more capalbe as a warrior) thanks to the events of this episode? If so, how? MC really only revealed that her skill as a swordsman, relative to a 1v1 sword duel, is lacking. How is this particular brand of swordsmanship relevant when fighting massive inhuman entities?

But the concept that "legendary ancient super-tech" is actually rooted in incredibly mundane principle is pretty cool.
Of course she ****ing says butter cake
Well w/e.
The girl's are cute.
Not that they get any damn screentime.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »
3:

Butter cake and cute kids.

I'm gonna be a weepy mess before this is over.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »
4:

Gaaahh... Stop trolling poor Willem (and us).

I'm going to have to re-read the start of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Nobody Dies just to decompress.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
4:

Pretty great "life goes on" episode...is what I thought until the show trolled me. I had better get some dead girls at some point.

I'm going to have to re-read the start of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Nobody Dies just to decompress.

Jesus Christ! Is that a 600,000 word fanfic?

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
Well, the Bible has roughly the same number of words depending on the translation.  I did mention 'start'.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:10:51 PM by HuuskerDu »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:38 PM »
4:

I kept waiting for the animal girl with the tiddies to assassinate Captain Lizard.  I mean, she enters the scene, asks for Limeskin's status, talks about keeping her blade sheathed, and then he shows up.  It was weird, but I guess I read too much into the situation.  Maybe she's his bodyguard or something.

Also, did Willem deserve getting slapped for that?

Offline Gadget

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 01:01:06 AM »

Also, did Willem deserve getting slapped for that?

No butter cake?

What the heck was Willem power?

Offline Gadget

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
Pacing is a mass. It seems that the story is being rushed. The background setting is nice, and it has gone to waste.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »
5:

This may have been the worst episode of this entire anime season...that I finished. Everything was either pointless or hilarious attempts at character and drama.
Well there was one great scene. The hallucination brought about by the street performers was genuinely unsettling. Shame I couldn't appreciate it cause it clashed so hard with the tone.

OH YEA! I forgot to mention last episode how much I love the little golem guards. That dogpile last episode was great.

My god. The lose of detail in that "wrapped ram" between a single shot was jarring as ****. And yes, I did chuckle at the ram-like humanoid that was tending the kiosk.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »
5:

Again we get swerved with a cut-short battle that lasts only a minute.  A lot of viewers are complaining that this is an action show with hardly any action in it, but personally I don't mind being teased that way - I like the unpredictability.  (You just know that at some point one of the girls is going to get whacked in a shocking way while simply standing around.)

"Bang!"  Willem is awesome. 

Ctholly too. She said "koi" not "daisuki".  (It typically takes multiple seasons for a romance reach that point if even then.)

I like Willem's Zen-like variation on the Serenity Prayer: "I just don't want to accept anything but the stuff I can't accept."   

Ctholly has visions of a slaughter, as if she is remembering something, or channeling someone, with very dark memories. Perhaps it was the redhead we saw in the first pre-OP?  We see a glimpse of the same redhead in the preview I think. (Souwong Kandel?)  She's not a past love interest - that was most likely the brunette homemaker we saw in a flashback just before Willem went off to his final battle, never to return to eat her butter cake.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »
5:

I'm okay with everything in this show except the blatant out of place otaku fetishist pandering commentary from the one character.  Hell, actually it comes from several.  I would have hoped that everything anime otaku archetype and trope related would have been wiped out by the beasts a long time ago.

Alas.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:04 AM »
6:

We get an exposition explosion, as if the writer suddenly realized "Hey, the cour is half over and nothing is happening, so let's go warp 9 on the plot!".  That was too fast.  It made Willem's snap decision to refuse a real opportunity to end the war seem rash and ill-considered, where in a slower and more carefully developed sequence we could have empathized with his desire not to sacrifice his fairy troupe despite the fact that it might finally end the 500 year war and stop the creation of endless future cohorts of kamikaze faeries.  It's a heart-over-head decision, yes, and clearly the show's been setting it up so that Willem will break in the heart direction.  But the way it was rushed so dang fast, with no attempt by him to understand the situation better, or even to ask questions, that it just makes Willem look like he's not thinking with his head at all.  And then in the middle of this huge blast of exposition there is a clumsy attempt to hide from Willem the real reason the 17 monsters were created, which was so ridiculous and done so ham-handedly, that it makes Willem seem like an even bigger idiot.

The next ep preview looks like it will grind to a halt again with more SOL in the girls' dorms (title "Home, Sweet Home").  The pacing is a mess.  I was hoping that since the original writer was penning the adaptation that this show might avoid the pacing problems that plague so many other adaptations, but apparently not.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
6:

I'm all for exposition, hard-fag and all, but this just straight neutered any intrigue or investment.
I will say that if MC remains as a technician or engineer this is at least different

the use of an actual child for the unsettling sequences is ****ing fantastic

All of this was for nothing.
Ugh.
 "Why didn't you tell him the truth?" - This isn't even my final form
I ****ing hate when exposition characters withhold exposition for absolutely no ****ing reason.
Some self-indulgent dialogue
Some nonsense
Romance? I preferred the older detached father dynamic.
I literally couldn't care less.
The main guy is nothing and the main girl is but a mite above him.

7:

Rhan was mildly interesting

Romance? Ugh.
I'm glad this entire episode was a rehash of the previous.
What is this, three shit episodes in a row?
So much wasted potential.

OMG THAT CLOSING SEQUENCE.
I dont know what was worse: The starting of the ship - implying the military officers present didn't know beasts react to sound
                                                                                                           or
                                            The beast splitting its lower half in two in order to form dual fists which then proceeded to punch the ship.
I am in no way interested to see these 2 new girls and how they mesh with the girls established.

Show blows and I don't see how anyone could be invested. I care not for the pushed character dynamics and I don't even know the plot. These girls gonna die? Mc gonna affect anything? I don't know where the MC fits into the established plot. Does his role start and end as caretaker to these girls? More importantly, I don't care. I'm out. The show has had more than enough time to both facilitate, and act upon, intrigue yet ****-all has happened. Whatever I gave it a shot.

P.S.
Again, I hate the aesthetic.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
I'm all for exposition, hard-fag and all

Wh...?

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »
I'm all for exposition, hard-fag and all

Wh...?

As in hard science fiction. With regard to most fantasy or sci-fi anime, chances are I'd get more enjoyment from reading the wikia page detailing the universe rather than experiencing the actual story. SukaSuka included it would seem.

I bastardize the term but I simply mean I'm very much about world building.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
7:

I was wrong. We got some plot progression, and we learned more about Ctholly. We were introduced to some new characters. Glick is back (and he's interesting). 

Basically this was a setup ep.  None of the kamikaze faeries have died yet despite all the early foreboding about their doomed fate.  I do like the unpredictability so far.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:54 AM »
8:

Good episode, all around.  I'm glad we have a main male character who is neither dense nor uncaring about the romantic potential he has with Chtholly.  He honestly does view the other kids as his kids, but Chtholly is special, and is slowly but surely becoming his love interest, whether he likes it or not.  He recognizes his growing feelings, and for that alone, he's 100 times better than most male leads.  Sure, he has a reason to try to keep her at a distance, but a man can only be a not-a-man so long before things give out.

Of course, the real focus on this episode was how much tragedy is being set up with Chtholly.  Growing love feelings, memory loss, putting herself in unnecessary danger (you KNOW the rescue trip isn't going to go well), continual growth of the other persona, and so on and so forth.  We're going to get lots of bitch tears here, at some point.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
9:

This is Plastic Memories all over again, where all the elaborate world-building in the the series' first half is getting tossed aside and the story has become simply a tear jerker about a non-human ingénue who falls in love just before her personality death.

Ctholly is doing everything right though. She is fully aware of what is happening to her, so she lives in the moment.  She refuses to pity herself or to be pitied; she soldiers on. Willem too.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:11:36 PM by HuuskerDu »

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 02:47:24 AM »
10:

Two episodes left and still nothing is happening.  Well, Willem did pull a From the New World and Pogo'ed the enemy's true identity, which I suppose is something.  And because of that he did crash and propose to Ctholly (which is something you almost never see in a anime) but still NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

By that I mean how this show was set up.  From the beginning this series was an angst-fest where we were introduced to a dozen cute kamikaze girls who are doomed to die in battle. We all had our hankies ready as we watched the little fairies playing cutely and running around on the grass just enough to miss them when they inevitably bite it. But now here we are in the final arc of the cour, and none of them has died yet, nor are any of them even in jeopardy.  Even Ctholly's personality death is being drawn out and might not actually happen.

I should have done my research and realized this is one of those drawn-out LN series where the author writes the first LN and it is a hit, so the author drags the story out endlessly in a series of follow-on volumes to milk the franchise as much as possible.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
10:

I keep wondering to myself if this show would be improved if we didn't have the pandering sex replacement known as the venedium poisoning massages.  I mean, Jesus Christ.  I haven't enjoyed everything about this show, and aside form a couple of unique points it has mostly been "by-the-numbers" J-RPG VN fantasy bullshit.  Numerous references to otaku cultural stuff, moe archetypes, character cliches, and so on and so forth.  We still haven't hit tragedy yet, which is undoubtedly coming in the next episode, but I've been saying that since the start.

I'm just not sure I'd care at this point.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
11:

The rapid backstory flashbacks should have happened earlier and slower to give us time to digest them.

Willem's passive resignation and fatalism are starting to remind me of Kotarou's numbness in Rewrite.  I'm also getting a feeling of deja-vu with the confusing high-speed backstory, the lurching stop-and-go plot progression, the post apocalyptic humanity-sucks-and-needs-to-die stuff, and the fact that I've lost empathy for the MC.  Why did Willem just sit on his butt at Ctholly's bedside as she faded away instead of fighting like crazy to grab that mental-boost dug weapon from the caverns in order to at least make some attempt to save her memory?  He does love her, right?

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »
12:

While I am happy to be wrong about Kareno dragging out Willem and Ctholly's arc, and the final ep's battle scenes with the reprise of Scarborough Fair were by far the best of the series, it still doesn't make up for the sagginess of the series between the first and last ep.

Kareno dropped most of Willem's backstory, which by all accounts would have been far more interesting to watch than the interminable scenes of cute fairy girls doing cute things and the dragging out of Ctholly's personality death. The memory-fixer dug weapon was entirely forgotten, and the whole memory loss issue was a nonfactor in the ending anyway.

You could watch just the first and last eps of the series and get a decent OVA out of this.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
12 (FINAL):

So I'm going to assume that was a total non-ending because there are more light novels to this, with the old adage "if there's no body, there's no death" kind of thing.  While the other fairy girls think Ren and Ctholly are dead (note we don't see a picture of Wilhem anywhere), and Wizard McBeardstein says his magic can't detect them (as he conveniently walks away at the right moment for the hint to the audience to be dropped that they might be), I am fairly sure that none of them are, including Ctholly despite taking numerous bio-spears through the body and literally losing her mind, because by this point if nobody is going to tragically die in someone's arms, then it ain't happening.  Ctholly might be mind dead, or maybe she'll be the Messiah of the Fairies who somehow avoids being absorbed back by Elq and become the new Elq or some kind of other bullshit magic don't gotta explain shit twist, who knows.

Regardless, we're done here, and we can only go on what we have for this series and this series alone.  Marid and I are on similar wavelengths here, as neither of us seem to be particularly thrilled with the meandering done between the Scarborough Fair bookends.  It wasn't just that Willhelm wasn't given enough backstory, but that the entire world wasn't.  Where did these animal creatures come from?  Were they there back before the Beasts took over or did they come after?  What was their involvement with the humans war against the Gods?  Did they fight against humans or did they stay out of it?  What was with the numerous shots of what looked like modernish (WW2 certainly) artillery and battlefields?  Is this supposed to be somehow parallel to our world but with Gods and frog-people?  Other than the fairies and the Dug Weapons, what have these people done to try to stop the Beasts from killing them all?  Why DO the Beasts try to kill them all?  What is Wizard McBeardingham's ultimate goal for all this shit?

Beyond all that, the shocking truth was just your average Soylent Green moment, which had about as much impact as a fly headbutting a windshield.  I don't have a problem with that being "the stinger", but there wasn't a whole lot of dramatic buildup to it.  It was suspected by anybody familiar with fiction, then unloaded to us in an info dump.  Wizard McBeardenhol could have told us all this ages ago, as could the demon thing with him, but it was pointlessly and, thus, obnoxiously kept secret from the audience just so it could be revealed later.  Like I said, tho, there wasn't a ton of impact to it, so why not do it earlier?  Let Wilhelm keep that secret for a while, making it even more troubling for him when he willingly sends the Fairy Warriors off to kill his former friends and family.  I would think it would be more traumatic for the fairies to know they've been killing emnerwihts, especially if they were people Wilhelm may have known.

Anyway, at the end of the day what was the point of this story?  The author wanted to tell the story of a man with no home and no family finding a home and a family with a woman who will eventually die.  The purpose was to make a tragedy, and so that part is well executed insofar as we do get to care about Wilhelm and Ctholly and they do make significant progress with each other over the course of the story until the inevitable end of memory loss leading to effective "death" of a character.  Everything else, though, is half-assed, which is what I expect out of most light novels in the first place.  The world building is subpar, with the audience just having to accept based on cynical knowledge of JRPGs and fantasy settings, that everything just is.  Characters are developed poorly, with the import being on Ctholly's and Wilhelm's developing feelings for each other being the only thing relevant.  The backdrop plot is likewise poorly executed, with the Beasts having little to no significance other than to slaughter tons of innocent animal fantasy people and force our Fairy heroes into possibly tragic situations that never come to fruition until the climax, and then it happens way too fast relative to what we'd seen before (Ren starts to fall almost opening a Fairy Gate after barely a couple of hours of combat, while her peers can go for days without problems).  Etc.

The synopsis interested me and the use of Scarborough Fair as a background piece in the first episode hooked me, but after that I kept waiting for something amazing to happen and it never did.  It isn't bad, and is quite enjoyable, with decent animation, and enough cuteness to keep romance or moe fans happy.  So it isn't a pointless watch, but I was hoping for more.

6/10.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
The back story is just drips to hook us. So what or who is that red head kid? Why is she taking Ctholly's memories?

The relationship between Ctholly and Wilhelm feels forced. And they try to make it easier to swallow by playing tear jerking music, Wilhelm's flash back, and cute kids running around. But what is the thing that make them start liking each other? The message? It's happen they just 'fall in love' with each other. And the last human wanted to have a family.  There is no relationship. They just 'fall in love'. And this is just typical anime/LN stuff. Take Tsuki Ga Kirei. Some how, the  boring couple develop a relationship, and pull us, the audience in.

It's like waiting for something to happen. When it happened, it's over. It's like 'WTF happen'. And with all the kids, they could have pull a Usagi Drop on us. But, with the exception of the medical check up, they are mainly on the fringe as the story are on the Big Sisters.

I really want to like this. It got nice music. The kids are well played. The world is interesting as the last human. It's like all the ingredients for a good show, but they mix in wrongly. It's not that bad, but wishing it to be better.

6 for me.

And Ctholly did died. Cause she was reborn as a blue hair baby. And Ren died too. She was recycle into another Luck and Logic spin off.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
Yeah, that bit at the end with Ctholly baby bugs me.  Was that supposed to be a reincarnation or was that when she WAS born and those were the older fairies she looked up to (that they mention in this episode)?

If that's the hook into the next book, then meh.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
Ctholly is as dead as anyone can be in fantasy or SF  (cf Spock in Wrath of Khan).  The consensus among the LN readers is that the baby Ctholly is a flashback.

The scene with the two plinks in McBeard's life detector bowl is anime original, presumably indicating that Willem and Ren made it. (Ctholly had detoxed Ren's red eyes back to brown at the last second.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:50:23 PM by HuuskerDu »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up