Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 02:37:43 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SukaSuka  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Stark700

SukaSuka
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
1:

This is pretty interesting.

The setting gives an atmospheric feel and has a lot of potential for world building. We are introduced to Willem and Kutori pretty early in this episode. Kutori is a kind girl imo despite being a little strange.

Technical wise, it has smooth animation but the music is what stands out the most so far. There's is some mild comedy but for most parts, I think the show maintains a melancholic feel for storytelling so far. Good start.

Also, the kids are adorable!

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Re: SukaSuka
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
1:

Have your hankies ready.  The sads start right at the first scene followed by an opening with the insta-weep ballad Scarborough Fair (sung in English with the traditional lyrics, not the 1960s Simon & Garfunkel anti-Vietnam ones).

The original LN author (Akira Kareno) is penning the adaptation for Satelight, which did a superlative job on The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, so the adaptation should be in good hands.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
1:

So I literally broke down during that initial montage having mentally replaced the song with "Legend of Dragon". I was triggered. Too cathartic.

Other than that, pretty boring. Main Girl has the most Main Girlinest look ever, which I ****ing hate. I hate moderately long hair complete with two little not-twintail. Rounding out her boring Main Girl look was her boring Main Girl personality. Nothing presented, outside of Pannibal's design, gives me any cause to ever think of this series ever again.

Edit: Shirasaka Koume. That's her ****ing name. I was trying to remember the name. Seeing how Pannibal was my sole reason for retention, remembering I already have an entire narrative regarding Koume I can effectively forget this series. Though I do prefer blue over blonde.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:11:17 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
1:

I was not ready for Scarborough Fair to show up in an anime, but I went and looked and apparently it has shown up more often than I realize.  Huh.  Doesn't matter, caught me off guard and turned that beginning sequence from fluffy nonsense to magical and awesome.  That's what good musical choices can do for a scene.

The synopsis is still what I am running on with my interest in watching this.  Don't get me wrong, Kikuko Inoue has not shown up in enough anime lately and having her as a literal "man eater" sultry type is how I prefer my Belldandys dammit, but she alone isn't worth watching a show, sadly.  The only thing that I am curious about is whether or not he really is the only human left.  Main heroine looks awfully human, but so do the kids, and so does the Troll for that matter, so what do I know.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »
2:

The doom and gloom combined with the girls' ambivalence to losing their lives seems almost too much.

I'm happy that Willem didn't freak out in reaction to Chtholly's request to be kissed, unlike the scaredy-cat virgin dweeb stereotype that we have come to expect in this kind of situation.  Instead he gives her a chaste kiss on the forehead, then he unceremoniously flips her over and rubs the poison out of her system with the attitude of a father changing a dirty diaper.

I really like this guy.  He's an MC with a rare level of maturity that makes me want to learn more about him and the kind of [bleep] he has seen/suffered in his young life.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »

I was not ready for Scarborough Fair to show up in an anime, but I went and looked and apparently it has shown up more often than I realize. 

Appropriately enough, Scarborough Fair also appeared in Gunslinger Girl. I say appropriate cause Gunslinger Girl is all I think about when watching this show.

2:

Ok It is all pretty great.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
1-2:

I am truly desperate for something to watch during the first few days of the week. Trying this.

The premise is a time-displaced protagonist in a post-apocalyptic world with floating islands, populated by demi-humans who live in fear of the giant beasts below, which can only be beaten by special weapons wielded by fairies with poor emotional balance, who all live in an orphanage together, where our protagonist is caregiver alongside a cast of rather thirsty women. This has enough ideas crammed into it to make a several individual anime. Hell, I can name them: Utawaremono 2, Castle in the Sky, Breath of the Wild, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Gunslinger Girl, every harem anime ever. There is a zero percent chance that all of that comes together and is used effectively. The last 25% of the premise all but guarantees melodrama is incoming, so we'll see how hard my patience is tested. 
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
One of the reasons that Tamaru Yamada's version of Scarborough Fair works so well is the key shift.  SF is a medieval ballad written in Dorian mode (Greensleeves, etc), and like all such ballads it is almost always sung in D Dorian (all white keys starting on D) or E Dorian (white keys except F# starting on E).  However, Yamada's version starts on C Dorian (I checked this on my piano). It starts on C with E flat and B flat.  The use of the non-standard C Dorian key gives Yamada's version an extra sad quality at the start.

Then, at the halfway point, the song unexpectedly shifts to D Dorian, creating an uplifting yet still bittersweet quality that is simply awesome.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:02:01 PM by HuuskerDu »

Offline SQA

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:10:22 AM »
One of the reasons that Tamaru Yamada's version of Scarborough Fair works so well is the key shift.  SF is a medieval ballad written in Dorian mode (Greensleeves, etc), and like all such ballads it is almost always sung in D Dorian (all white keys starting on D) or E Dorian (white keys except F# starting on E).  However, Yamada's version starts on C Dorian (I checked this on my piano). It starts on C with E flat and B flat.  The use of the non-standard C Dorian key gives Yamada's version an extra sad quality at the start.

Then, at the halfway point, the song unexpectedly shifts to D Dorian, creating an uplifting yet still bittersweet quality that is simply awesome.

That's impressive.  :o

But the motif is definitely programming for "feels ahead".

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »
However, Yamada's version starts on C Dorian(I checked this on my piano).

Or, uh, B-flat major, starting on the minor second ;).
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »
The tonic is C major not B flat major.  That's why it's Dorian.  (The tonic establishes the key of the song.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:39:20 AM by HuuskerDu »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
/watches the back and forth about keys
/reaches slowly for microwave popcorn bag...
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
3:

And here is angsty all-too-anime bullshit and classic LN exposition delivery I was hoping the series would spare me from.
Toss in some "my ideals are being casually challenged" some "MC is so cool and hawt and casually redefined current military strategy but faints cause he cant be that OP" and man this show is really self-destructing. Is the MC struggling with his memories? Like he questions whether or not they are dreams buts seems also accept them as reality and somewhat act upon them. I get what they were going for with Main Girl this episode but nothing about her struggle resonated with me. My main point of criticism is he didnt actually teach Main Girl any swordsmanship or new techniques. All he did was destabilize her mental state and send her of into battle. Is she supposed to have been made stronger(more capalbe as a warrior) thanks to the events of this episode? If so, how? MC really only revealed that her skill as a swordsman, relative to a 1v1 sword duel, is lacking. How is this particular brand of swordsmanship relevant when fighting massive inhuman entities?

But the concept that "legendary ancient super-tech" is actually rooted in incredibly mundane principle is pretty cool.
Of course she ****ing says butter cake
Well w/e.
The girl's are cute.
Not that they get any damn screentime.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »
3:

Butter cake and cute kids.

I'm gonna be a weepy mess before this is over.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »
4:

Gaaahh... Stop trolling poor Willem (and us).

I'm going to have to re-read the start of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Nobody Dies just to decompress.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up