Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 09:38:37 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Stark700

Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho
« on: April 10, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »
1:

I just finished watching this on Anime Strike.
Well, I thought it was interesting. Witches exists in this show as part of the story.

We got a non-human character as the male protagonist while Zero is introduced as well. Mercenary is quite a badass imo.

I thought Mercenary and Zero's meeting is hilarious.

Zero is a somewhat interesting character. She has a big appetite but at the same time, she can see through Mercenary's "human face", which kinda interesting as it shows that she has unique abilities as a witch. I think from here, they can develop their relationship further.

Overall, decent start.
I also kinda like Zero/Mercenary's character chemistry with the teasing coming from Zero.

Offline MCAL

Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:26:09 PM »
1:
For now at least, White Fox's trend of adapting pretty decent LNs continue.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:40:27 AM »
1:

Bah. Talky, exposition-heavy, no atmosphere, and the conflicts feel about as serious as those in a Sunday morning cartoon. You can't try to sell me a badass tiger mercenary with a troubled past, and in the very next scene turn him into a tsundere momma's boy who's a stickler for propriety. It's like he got possessed by a stereotypical light novel protagonist.   

While not offensive, this episode tells me whoever's in charge lacks the creative chops to take us anywhere interesting. Good luck. 
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
1:

The impactful opening sequence was betrayed by the tone of the rest of the episode. The humor of a towering man-tiger cowering in the presence of a loli is aight, I chuckled. I suppose nothing wrong with damaged characters engaging in comedic deflecting.

Fairly generic but watchable for the time being.

The ED was also adorable.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
1: Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be picking this one up. It's not a good sign when I'm six minutes into the episode and I'm already wanting to move on to better things. Maybe I'll give it another try if I hear that it turns out to be better later down the line.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:54:19 PM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »
2:

Quality aside, I truly miss the good ole adventure anime.

Quality not aside, this episode, much like first, was a mess. The tone is still all over the place and now half the characters are just retarded when the plot demands. This whole narrative is just so ham-fisted, which is a shame. Despite the story being woefully generic, I'd have genuinely enjoyed it were it executed properly. 

Poor Sorena. What a waste of a fantastic design+voice.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
3:

Tone...as always.

This episode was pretty shit. The only thing established is that with all this anti-witch hysteria some poor muggle women are caught in the crossfire. Sad but expected. This very basic concept didnt need an entire episode solely for context. Limited run-time. Better execution please.

If Armin is going to be constantly sidelined why is he even there?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:05:16 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »
4:

Solid episode.
Not much to say

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
5:

The first half was shit. All the character interactions felt so stilted and awkward. I hated it.
The second half, at the very least, offered some plot.
How lame was that "battle."
It is 2017 and the best you offer up is a clashing of beams traded by still-standing figures a la Dragon Ball Z?
****ing. Lame.

All in all the show is just plain boring. Shouldn't this have been something of a reveal? Zero was betrayed by one of the 2 people she knows. She didn't give a shit. All of Armin's peeps were slaughtered but since Armin doesn't matter neither do his feelings. So some, maybe just Thirteen, witches have allied with the crown to hunt other witches. I don't care. All of this has absolutely no weight. What is the story trying to acheive? Achieve both in where is it going narrative-wise and what is it trying to evoke in the viewer.  This is just story beats. The show is simply going through the motions. There is no investment on the part of the viewer. The show never bothered to make me care about witches or humans or beastfallen. Hell they haven't even made me care about the main cast. I do enjoy the banter between Zero and Mercenary but whenever either of them interacts with anyone else it is nothing short of shit. I think I'm done with this show.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »
Yea I said I was done with the series but **** you.
6:

Dumb vapid shit.

7:

Wasted potential leading into generic whatever. At least Roku-whatever has the decency to be potential-less garbage. I want adventure shows to be great again. Reclaim the former glory stolen by battle harems.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »
It's actually a screw up love story.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »
8:

All around solid episode

9:

The Magic Assassins couldnt scale the rock wall?
Ain't they got magic for that?
Or sorcery whatever

Jesus this woman's tits are just absurd

10:

13 has such a basic bitch design and disposition that I refuse to believe he is this impressively methodical. His motivation is also pathetic. He's just obsessed with Zero mad lot. Good luck taking him seriously. But the show also doesn't seem for him to be taken seriously. So what have we been building towards?
I dislike when the villain's Rube Golberg level of machinations are thwarted almost accidentally by the protagonists.
Maybe this fight will redeem the god awful one from earlier

11:

"Maybe this fight will redeem the god awful one from earlier"
Nope

The show paints 13 with this strange ambiguity; his methods are flawed and outright heinous yet the show constantly rationalizes him.
This really robs the series of any teeth. ****ed up shit either happens or has happened or is happening but you as a viewer never feel the gravity of any of it.
So as the plot continues to crescendo it feels more like a lackluster high school production rather than a beautiful sweeping orchestra
Though it is rather novel to see the finale being not the battle fought against a villain but the dissipating of a would-be plan set in motion by a misguided comrade.
Shame it just doesn't feel tense and finale worthy

Man 13 is just eating those punches
WHY DID THE GIVE HIM SUCH A SHITTY BOWL-CUT?
He coulda been kinda cool

Nobody ever questioned why they have never see "Him"?
Nobody questioned why the contract included the clause "if you attempt to do me harm, you will die."?
That doesn't seem like a clause necessary for someone of good intentions.
13 can't just destroy the book on his own?
All previous magical contracts could be severed by the will of the contractor.

12:

The King making a surprisingly boss move by remaining.
Shouldn't they have stopped the attack first? They are gonna seal magic and the knights are gonna run a train on the powerless mages who already stormed the city.
They have really reduced "Sorena" to nothing but empty dialogue filler at this point
So TWO witches can't just remove all magic from the kingdom but THREE can. OK
Why'd all the boars faint? Ain't that convenient
So a kingdom which had grown to fear magic to the point of paranoia open war against all magic users...almost immediately adopts magic as something which is beneficial to people and sets up state sponsored magic academies? Bullshit.
In all my years I don't think I have ever witnessed such a shitty and convenient conclusion to a narrative.
The fact that we know nothing about the government and its relation to magic doesn't help. Here we are, 12 episodes in, yet I fell as though I have no true understanding of this Kingdom.

Oddly enough, as bad as the series was, that final send off scene (not the post-credit one) promising future adventures did make me yearn for more. But I attribute that more to the ED which began playing during.

The show had a persistent tone problem. They seemingly went for a more lighthearted journey about magic with some conflict but then set that journey in a world with boundless strife and prejudice. A world were people are constantly being burned at the stake and eaten alive just off screen. The show seldom acknowledges the harsher realities of its setting and when it does, it world feel hollow and out of place. Combine this with the absurdly underwhelming conclusion which pretty much spits in the face of the harsh world and you're left with a lackluster story with really poor execution.
4/10

ED was the best thing about the show

Offline Gadget

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 04:54:45 AM »
Agree with Zeitgeist. But what make it watchable was the interaction between Zero and Tigerboy. I like the bantering between the too. And that is the only thing that prevented me from dumping it into the bin.

5 for me
Pages: [1]   Go Up