Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 10:06:02 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tsuki ga Kirei  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Tsuki ga Kirei
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
3:

Continuing my random assessment of fictional middle school track achievements: 13.98 for 100m girls is...kinda good. It isnt exceptional but could definitely be a record for a more localized region. I'm curious if the narrative is going to address her skill-level with regards to scholarships and what-not. Specifically, she ain't that good. Akane having already chosen a high school could be something.
Getting some depth with regards to Chinatsu
Weight training would be far more effective than just blindly running distances at night. I don't know how committed this school is to their track+field program or how knowledgeable their coach is but Chinatsu would benefit exponentially more from light and casual, she is young, weight-based strength development. We also don;t know if the club advisor had any input regarding Chinatsu's late night runs. These are more likely nightly rituals she does with the  vague hopes of improving. 

That almost confession scene from Track-kun was great. I was already raging at the notion that his selfishness would affect her mentally but he managed to refrain.
Unfortunately the scene was immediately followed by a jarring insert song sequence involving Curly. I get it. But it felt strange.

Oh I was again showing early signs of rage with the dead-battery trope but the show continues to slap my wrist for early judgment.

Everything is just so great at this point.
This show is just magnificent.
I adore every aspect of this series.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:45:53 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »
1-3:

I like how much story this show is able to tell without exposition. It's very quiet, and a lot of scenes we get to learn things by seeing and observing what's in a shot. It's super gratifying for anyone who pays close attention to what's going on.

The story itself is super cute. I like how normal the characters are: the shy guy ACTUALLY HAS FRIENDS, and the shy girl ACTUALLY GETS ALONG WITH PEOPLE AND HER CLUBS AND SUCH. Anime often makes shy people out to be socially crippled, and this anime doesn't fall into that trope.

It's a good show, and worth you're time if you're looking for a cute show to mix in with Boku no Hero and AoT.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »
3:
The random page Kotarou picks reads: At the very least, I don't believe romance comes down to chance.  I believe it comes down to volition.

As valid as this quote is, both volition and chance form romance. It was pure chance for Kotaro that Mr. Team Captain didn't ask her out (although Kotaro wouldn't know anything about it). It was also pure chance that Kotaro and Akane are in the same class despite being in two polar clubs. I understand that in this show, it's about Kotaro taking the first step (and I really like that) but realistically speaking, the two elements always play a part: chance is something out of one's control, so the important thing is about doing what one can in his own volition. I like how there's contrast between what Kotaro reads and what he encounters.

And I like how the quote "the moon is beautiful" perfectly sums up the Japanese language ('indirect', much). A guy like me wouldn't appreciate that kind of subtlety.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
4:

What year is this that 14year old boys still rock the briefs? Japan get with the times. Though the fact that it is something of landmark in a boys life is true...seeing how I still vaguely remember the day when I was about 7 and felt like a big boy for having graduated to boxers. Well scratch all this. It was actually a conversation about the transition from boxers to boxer-briefs.

The fact that a male teacher was checking the bags of 14 year old female students just feels wrong. The fact that it was used to set up a joke just made it worse. From what little we say of the following inspections the male teacher didn't examine another female student. Also, why the no cellphone clause? This is a multiple day trip to a different, likely foreign, city. Wouldn't it be best for teachers, parents, and students to have constant access to communication?

The CG got REALLY apparent at times this episode. Why have all these supposed beautiful scenery shots if they're just marred but terrible CG models. This is just unforgivable. Though it hasn't actually ruined any of the meaningful scenes...just may have shattered immersion and tone for some.

What is with the persistence of quotes? At first it was the MC being guiding by the cynical musings of a suicidal author...which kinda made sense cause he was a big reader and had respect for that author...but now we have Akane getting some seriously applicable info via fortune text.

Poor Chinatsu. She loses to Akane in track and is gonna lose to her in love. Scratch that. Turns out she cool.

The the cellphone thing was just a plot device? say it ain't so. B-b-b-but they did something earlier with a dead battery and managed to be organic. I believe.
Ok. Just cause you resolved the situation quickly doesn't obviate the fact that you utilized such a frustrating trope in the first place. I don;t now if I should be bashing the show for its reliance on obscuring nonsense or praise it for being very much true to life. The situation portrayed is very much an all too common scenario I find myself in. But at the same time this is the second example of cellphone derived drama. But, it has been very much shown that this duo communicates best via cellphone and the confession of MC has significantly hampered there ability to communicate face-to-face.

Writing remains underwhelming but the romance remains engaging nevertheless, 

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 03:14:38 AM »
4:

Aaaannnnd....  Akane wimps out.  (To be fair I thought it would be Kotarou who would back away by claiming he misspoke.)

Kotarou just can't catch a break.  First the teacher confiscates his phone, then his friends hassle him, then it rains, then he misses Akane in passing. So he finally musters up the courage to ask a girl he barely knows to pleeease borrow her phone and calls Akane to explain. And how does she respond?  She gets snippy and unreasonably jealous about the girl he talked to.  Oh come on, he's trying so hard, he's soaked, and compared to the usual passive/timid MC he is actually is showing a lot of courage.  Give the kid a break and stop pretending to be so upset about it. 

Now, in Akane's defense she is probably acting irritable because she's still nervous about the whole 'confession' thing, which is understandable as she doesn't really know him all that well yet.

Maybe it's a difference in Japanese social customs, but I don't understand this business of having to formally confess your love before you can even go on a casual date with someone. It's like every boy-girl social relationship has to be an all-or-nothing affair.  Either you blush beet-red just by glancing at each other, or you're 100% exclusively committed, nothing in-between.  What, you can't just do lunch together?  No group dates?  No outings at the karaoke bar?  I'm not picking on this show in particular (these kids are at an awkward age for casual mixed outings) but it does seem like an awful lot of HS animes operate on this assumption.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
4:

It's so nostalgic to remember how exciting a school field trip was... except that smartphones weren't around during my time. How did I even live my life back then...?

Poor Kotaro. Shit just happens and it was the worst possible scenario ever. It's almost as if life was giving him a trial: do whatever it takes to make sure he gets the job done (job being hooking up with Akane). Poor home boy couldn't catch a break and is too sincere to even ask Chinatsu for Akane's number. If he were creative, he could've just made a story up and say he needs to ask Akane to run an errand or something ::) But Chinatsu's cool... gotta respect that.

And I giggled again at the final snippets... like a silly bitch.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »

The CG got REALLY apparent at times this episode. Why have all these supposed beautiful scenery shots if they're just marred but terrible CG models. This is just unforgivable. Though it hasn't actually ruined any of the meaningful scenes...just may have shattered immersion and tone for some.

Yea. It's feel cut and paste.

Just realize that the whole relationship was base on texting. They hardly talk. Attraction is by secret glancing. Make me think of that Kukri carrying girl from Renai Boukun.

But it's the way they make little thing that is fascinating. Like the way Kotaro's blond friend punch his shoulder, and the way he was insensitive to Kotaro's secret.

I find this series has minimize the dialog, and uses body language to tell the story. It add a depth to the story. It can be slow, but it's fascinating to watch.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
5:

This whole Chinatsu thing is just dumb. I get it. Curly and Akane are young and too in there own head's to even converse naturally. So Akane is jealous of the dynamic Chinatsu has with Curly. Perhaps they are better together than herself and Curly. They even gave Track-kun a natural conversation with Akane. What is strange is that Chinatsu has been shown to be conscious of AkanexCurly both this episode and the last yet she pursues Curly. Granted she seems to be just being herself, that being an outgoing friendly girl, but doesn't she see the awkward atmosphere when the three are in a scene? Ultimately, the blame falls mostly on Akane and partially on Curly. Akane, for whatever reason, can't openly admit to being in a relationship so she can never cleanly break away from her friends to honor her prior commitment. Whereas Curly can never clearly say what he wants. He is shown to be uncomfortable with Chinatsu's rather forward actions but can't tell her that he is in a relationship. His submissiveness is what led to this Chinatsu thing in the first place last episode. When he didn't just outright say to Akane that Chinatsu was simply the only person he had some familiarity with so he used her cellphone or that he had now only shown up at the store but ran around it a few times.

While the bookstore scene was nice, they are just going to continue to fall into the same trappings so long as they needlessly keep their relationship a secret. You can't just solve every bout of jealousy or misunderstanding by advancing the physicality of the relationship each time you get a moment together. Communicate. This time was hand holding. A kiss next? Banging after another minor squabble? Well, rather conveniently for them, Chinatsu admitted her crush to Akane so they can skip all the suspicions and unfounded jealousy steps which would have inevitably occurred due to poor communication.

Also the timing of these appropriate side-conversations. Chinatsu shows up at the cram school while the teacher is discussing a book about love triangles. At lunch Akane's friend is saying how she is going to break up with her boyfriend cause "dating him isn't fun."

This series is so well executed. I mean, I hate love triangles on principle and often find them insufferable but this show just cruises rigt along enjoyable as can be. I bitched plenty about the nature of the events but they were nonetheless enjoyable.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »
Just chuck away the phones and stop SMS, snap chat, what's app or what ever. Just TALK!!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 03:47:03 AM »
5:

Akane and Kotaro are just ado-wable. It's cute to see how awkward things can be between them especially when it's in the beginning of their relationship... it's terribly frustrating, but understandably so.

But seriously, Kotaro really can't catch a break. Akari has a love interest in her club, and now Kotaro has one too. Really, another big test for the couple right in the beginning of their relationship? And what makes it very difficult for both of them is the unique situation each is in: Akari's love interest is her senpai (admiration and love interest go hand in hand), and Chinatsu is the extroverted kind who is proactive with getting things done (this will not bode well with introvert Kotaro who naturally has trouble saying no). It really sucks to be them... although I am rooting for them.

Just chuck away the phones and stop SMS, snap chat, what's app or what ever. Just TALK!!

Nah, they naturally wouldn't. They're both introverted and from two different worlds, so it's not easy for them to talk. LINE is actually helping them 'talk' to each other, and that's the preferred mode for such people. It's not the equivalent but it really helps to achieve things that is otherwise difficult when talking out. That's the beauty of social media: along with direct talking, they're both subsets of communication.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
It's depressing. Double failure. I would be mopping if not for the post ending trolling. Like the dating game troll.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Both got their hopes up, only to be dash.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »
6:

It's poetic to see a couple walking on different paths but experienced similar setbacks. It makes for a good story to see different yet similar life can be; if they were both yearning to run on the track, or become good writers, it wouldn't be so interesting (unless the script can prove me wrong).

The real acid test comes next, with Chinatsu wanting to confess to Kotarou. Akane can't say no if she trusts her, but the result can be terrifying: either everything going back to normal (if Kotarou rejects her) or lose everything, both her best friend and boyfriend (if Kotarou accepts her). And this happening right after flopping at the track... now she can't catch a break.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »
6:

So the Chinatsu thing was all for a false cliffhanger? **** me.
Was Chinatsu deliberately sabotaging Akane? That skank.

So the publishing thing was just just to shit on him? **** me.
This editor is a real douchebag. Preying upon a child. But hey, ya gotta get them potential light novelists before they reach legal age and realize how trash light novels are. 

Akane's parents vs Curly's parents
WTF was with the sister's advice? Just ****ing ditch your best friend if she crushes on your secret man. I wonder if the sister practiced what he preached? We haven't seen her interact with anyone other than her boyfriend whom she has been with since high school. Not that there would be any reason for the leads to bump into her as she is paling around town with female friends.

WTF is this cliffhanger?

This episode was series of utterly beautiful scenes interspersed among scenes of WTF.
When Akane was taking her position to start the race - fantastic.
The train + track meet prep set to insert song - amazing
This whole episode was literally a farce. The show just portrayed an assumed conflict, that Akane and Chinatsu would be at odds with one another, when neither had any problem with the other.

Why must this show be so good and yet so terrible.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 05:35:41 AM »
Recapp.

It's just all the clippings which the two MCs ever speak in a proper sentences. Akane do make cute 'errrh?'  sounds.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
See Curly-kun. You get your girl when you maned up.

Actually, it was short (>20 minutes. The rest is filled up by slide of school life filler, like how the girls bitch behind the cute teacher). But it was the subtle way way the story is told. How the most irritating guy is the only one who knows what going on and how he try to get Akane and Curly kun together. Like the way he jump the roller coaster ride. How Chinatsu and Takumi (the sport jock) was hurt and try to conceal it.

And there is the 'perfect timing' when they bump into each other. But I'll take that as dramatic license.

Now what??? Akane will know how she hurt Chinatsu. Many girls will still like Takumo. So he's open hunting season again? How will the rest of the girl react when they are together.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up