Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 02:49:59 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tsuki ga Kirei  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Stark700

Tsuki ga Kirei
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
1:

Hmm, I thought this first episode was kinda interesting. OP song has an unique vibe to it while the show itself has an atmospheric feel.

Character designs has some distinguishable outlines.

The episode itself seems pretty simple with the premise. We got the introduction of the main characters. Music is nice, really liked the light instrumental OST used in this. Akane is a pretty typical female character you'll find in these type of shows although she also has a love for running. Kotarou is the book guy as he enjoys reading.

Really curious to learn more about these characters as more episodes are aired. For now, I think the show has potential, will definitely be watching more of it.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Tsuki ga Kirei
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
1:

Nice. The quiet, awkward style of romance is what resonates most with me when I think of highschool; the erotic, passionate style of Kuzu no Honkai less so. That said, I still expect the romance to be exciting and fun, so we'll see if this show manages that or falls into boredom.

EDIT: Also, I'm a dingo dog. Tsuki means moon, not star. Hoshi means star.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:57:23 PM by Marid King »
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
Hey Stark?  I don't mind you making the discussion threads on this forum because it saves me and others the time, but you're allowed to come back and talk about things while the show is running, too.  Seems like the last few seasons you start the threads then disappear until next season.  You can stick around, y'know.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
1:

This show is listed under HS SOL, which means that we will see lots of beautiful busty girls with luscious knee-length multicolored hair and featuring lots of pratfall oppai jokes and tsundere beatdowns, right?  But wait, instead we see normal schoolgirls with regular black hair and realistic body proportions who have actual parents who interact with other students' actual parents in a perfectly normal way.  WHAT THE SAM HILL IS GOING ON HERE THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE JAPANESE ANIME.

Anyway, this is a nice change of pace: a straight-up and rather low-key HS romantic slow burner that will follow the lives of the mains from the end of middle school on into high school (any maybe even beyond that).  The show (English title: The Moon is Beautiful) is an anime original by Studio Feel ('feel.') - no stranger to fanservicey productions (So I Can't Play H!, Bikini Warriors, Mayo Chiki!), but you won't find that here. 

The writer of this original work is Yūko Kakihara, who did the series composition for the anime adaptations of orange, Heaven's Lost Property, Persona 4, and Chihayafuru 2, and she also wrote half the scripts for Kids on the Slope - another realistic romance tale and one of my favorites.  This is her first all-original work (I think).

After seeing some really low-quality new animation this season (Sakurada, Alice & Zoroku) it was nice to see a show that for once didn't look like it was created in CorelDraw.  My only complaint is the odd white backlit border that seems to surround every character in almost every scene. The white border appears everywhere, including indoors and in dark places where no backlighting is evident, and it's kind of distracting.

Both mains are painfully shy at this point.  To learn more about the opposite sex Kotarou decides to read Osamu Dazai's (yes *that* Osamu Dazai) short story Schoolgirl, a diary-like narrative that reveals the inner thoughts of a schoolgirl, including her feelings and inner turmoil, over the course a single day.  It is one of Dazai's early works (published in 1939 but possibly written in 1933) that thankfully doesn't feature his later penchant for writing and obsessing about suicide - so it is still probably a better source for Kotarou to learn about the opposite sex than his bikini mag :-).

I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop.  The soundtrack uses Maedan style piano-and-violins, and it fits the mood well.  It is unclear how many episodes the show will air, but I hope it will have enough eps to let us watch the characters grow and mature over time without feeling rushed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:40:57 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »
1:

Im not sure if these kids really are 3rd years. In my experience most kids in their final years of "highschool" sauntered about like they owned the damn place.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »
Guys, I'm about 80% sure they said they're 3rd years in middle school.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
Yeah they are in middle school aka 'junior high' aka 'lower secondary'. This should clear things up:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Japan#School_grades.

Still I think my point is valid. These kids are in their last year of middle school and their campus probably doesnt have higher class than theirs - most public schools have different campuses for Lower secondary and upper secondary school. So they are in their seniormost year on their campus. As before, in my experience the 8th graders were the seniormost on campus and they would, again, strut about like they owned the place.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
This is more in reference to Huuskerdu's comment about them not having  amazing bodies.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 04:50:17 AM »
1:

Ha ha ha!  Holy ****in' parents, am I right guys?  Y'know what the best part about being embarrassed by your parents is as a kid?  Growing up and having your own kids and embarrassing the shit out of them when they get to be awkward teenagers.

I have two nephews.  I am so telling whatever girl they dare to bring around me how many times I had to change their smelly diapers as babies.  I'll FIND a girl, even if she's not a prospective love interest, and have her sit next to my nephews just so I can tell her these things.  **** it all if I'm not going to torment the shit out of them during their formative years and drive them to possible suicide!  Ha ha!

No, I wont do that.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 05:33:55 AM »
1:

I find this show strangely charming.

The show really felt a lot like Wandering Son, and I checked if the director is the same guy (the answer is no). But the reason why it's strangely charming is this: I am struck by just how normal the story is. Bookworm Kotaro meets Sporty Akane (mismatches happen all the time). Akane has a strange habit whenever she's nervous, and notices a curl in Kotaro's hair (everyone has a strange habit, and notices trivial things every time). Parents doing awkward things to their kids (read TIF's post). Those LINE references (too real).

So by default, since this show is so mundane, I should find it boring to watch. But I don't. Why? Because the story reflects real life so closely that other shows don't even reach this level. I mean, when's the last time any school-set show mentioned anything about forming an online group on LINE i.e. the one thing every kid can relate to, but is never mentioned on any anime??

Coupling the story with an OP and ED that strangely felt like songs from the 90s, and remove all the familiar teenage angst and raging hormones, and I get a show that's refreshing to watch.

Question: is Line Corporation sponsor this show?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
2:

What's with the quirky shorts at the end of this episode?  Are we not going to have time exploring everybody else's relationships, so they're giving us the Cliff's Notes version instead?

Poor sensei.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
2:

This show makes me all fuzzy inside.

Nothing much to say about the episode itself, although I love how subtle the story is. Boys admiring Akane's butt and Kotaro peeking at the girl's neckline are just stuff growing kids do, but the show doesn't indulge on them and go full ecchi over them. Good call.

I giggled at the shorts at the end. Popular kid aims for the teacher instead of the other girls. Shit, he's going places.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
1:

Did Akane take a shower and than put the same clothes on?

Was this the first ever "family goes out for dinner" scene in anime? I honestly do'nt think I have ever seen one.
Regardless, we need more. More parents ns adolescent cented anime.
It was great

Everything about this first episode was so filmic and freaking awesome. 10/10

My only complaint, too much CG walking. Youre butchering the beautiful art design and color pallete with jarring CG.
Well there is also the needless pervasive glow. . It isnt even shading or shadow - all the characters just glow like theyre using nen circa 99.

2:

Akane was in the 200m event. She ran a full lap. Were they on a half-size track? Scratch that, Curly was offhandedly shown using a line-painting thingamajig.
This time for real, assumin' real-time, Akane's event took 28-ish seconds which is pretty great for her age. That track dude's time was about 30 seconds. He is awfully cocky for such an under-performing active track athlete. Why aint anyone giving him shit? I would.   

Well, it was only a matter of time before that "Squeezie" became a plot device.
I want, no I need, this hot kid to bang the hot teacher. And for it to remain as casual and very much in the background as their interactions were this episode.

What are the odds she'd walk by the bathroom just they were shiting on her?

Man, I was seriously scared that Curly would find Squeezie but than Track Kid would be the one to return it. Dodged that bullet.

So, Akane finds it embarrassing to be in front of people but her passion for running supersedes said embarrassment. So, her mindset will affect Curly insofar as he will allow others to read his writing. Look at that. They're already helping one another. It is this Whispers of the Heart vibe. The methodical pacing and limited script already made this feel like a film and now given the character dynamics(bonus with one pursuing writing). Awe, they went and spelled it out. It is shit now.

I was grinning so hard during that text exchange. Though, to be spiteful, I was irritated at my idea that emojiis have replaced genuine wit(at the age of 13). Who needs to be funny and clever when you can just link a lawlsy image. These kids have it easy.

Still beautiful visually. Took a bit of a hit narratively.
**** w/e I said about Clockwork Planet.
I am all about this series.
Though, given my earlier mentions of this feeling very much like a film, I dont know if can sustain itself(tone, pacing, appropriate level of drama) over the course of a full series.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:03:16 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Pebble

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
2:

Its awfully simplistic.

Not sure what I expected though.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
3:

Of all the books in the library that Kotarou could have randomly picked, guess which one he pulls out of the stacks?  A book by Mr. I-❤️-Suicide of course. The title is チャソス (Chaososu? Chaos?). 

The random page Kotarou picks reads: At the very least, I don't believe romance comes down to chance.  I believe it comes down to volition.

It certainly does, and so Kotarou musters his courage as he makes a last minute save with Akane and successfully avoids a life trapped in the Friend Zone.

And so Kotarou confesses, and we even get a title drop: The moon is beautiful.

Well that's it. Series is over!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:54:14 PM by HuuskerDu »

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
3:

Continuing my random assessment of fictional middle school track achievements: 13.98 for 100m girls is...kinda good. It isnt exceptional but could definitely be a record for a more localized region. I'm curious if the narrative is going to address her skill-level with regards to scholarships and what-not. Specifically, she ain't that good. Akane having already chosen a high school could be something.
Getting some depth with regards to Chinatsu
Weight training would be far more effective than just blindly running distances at night. I don't know how committed this school is to their track+field program or how knowledgeable their coach is but Chinatsu would benefit exponentially more from light and casual, she is young, weight-based strength development. We also don;t know if the club advisor had any input regarding Chinatsu's late night runs. These are more likely nightly rituals she does with the  vague hopes of improving. 

That almost confession scene from Track-kun was great. I was already raging at the notion that his selfishness would affect her mentally but he managed to refrain.
Unfortunately the scene was immediately followed by a jarring insert song sequence involving Curly. I get it. But it felt strange.

Oh I was again showing early signs of rage with the dead-battery trope but the show continues to slap my wrist for early judgment.

Everything is just so great at this point.
This show is just magnificent.
I adore every aspect of this series.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:45:53 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »
1-3:

I like how much story this show is able to tell without exposition. It's very quiet, and a lot of scenes we get to learn things by seeing and observing what's in a shot. It's super gratifying for anyone who pays close attention to what's going on.

The story itself is super cute. I like how normal the characters are: the shy guy ACTUALLY HAS FRIENDS, and the shy girl ACTUALLY GETS ALONG WITH PEOPLE AND HER CLUBS AND SUCH. Anime often makes shy people out to be socially crippled, and this anime doesn't fall into that trope.

It's a good show, and worth you're time if you're looking for a cute show to mix in with Boku no Hero and AoT.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »
3:
The random page Kotarou picks reads: At the very least, I don't believe romance comes down to chance.  I believe it comes down to volition.

As valid as this quote is, both volition and chance form romance. It was pure chance for Kotaro that Mr. Team Captain didn't ask her out (although Kotaro wouldn't know anything about it). It was also pure chance that Kotaro and Akane are in the same class despite being in two polar clubs. I understand that in this show, it's about Kotaro taking the first step (and I really like that) but realistically speaking, the two elements always play a part: chance is something out of one's control, so the important thing is about doing what one can in his own volition. I like how there's contrast between what Kotaro reads and what he encounters.

And I like how the quote "the moon is beautiful" perfectly sums up the Japanese language ('indirect', much). A guy like me wouldn't appreciate that kind of subtlety.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
4:

What year is this that 14year old boys still rock the briefs? Japan get with the times. Though the fact that it is something of landmark in a boys life is true...seeing how I still vaguely remember the day when I was about 7 and felt like a big boy for having graduated to boxers. Well scratch all this. It was actually a conversation about the transition from boxers to boxer-briefs.

The fact that a male teacher was checking the bags of 14 year old female students just feels wrong. The fact that it was used to set up a joke just made it worse. From what little we say of the following inspections the male teacher didn't examine another female student. Also, why the no cellphone clause? This is a multiple day trip to a different, likely foreign, city. Wouldn't it be best for teachers, parents, and students to have constant access to communication?

The CG got REALLY apparent at times this episode. Why have all these supposed beautiful scenery shots if they're just marred but terrible CG models. This is just unforgivable. Though it hasn't actually ruined any of the meaningful scenes...just may have shattered immersion and tone for some.

What is with the persistence of quotes? At first it was the MC being guiding by the cynical musings of a suicidal author...which kinda made sense cause he was a big reader and had respect for that author...but now we have Akane getting some seriously applicable info via fortune text.

Poor Chinatsu. She loses to Akane in track and is gonna lose to her in love. Scratch that. Turns out she cool.

The the cellphone thing was just a plot device? say it ain't so. B-b-b-but they did something earlier with a dead battery and managed to be organic. I believe.
Ok. Just cause you resolved the situation quickly doesn't obviate the fact that you utilized such a frustrating trope in the first place. I don;t now if I should be bashing the show for its reliance on obscuring nonsense or praise it for being very much true to life. The situation portrayed is very much an all too common scenario I find myself in. But at the same time this is the second example of cellphone derived drama. But, it has been very much shown that this duo communicates best via cellphone and the confession of MC has significantly hampered there ability to communicate face-to-face.

Writing remains underwhelming but the romance remains engaging nevertheless, 

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 03:14:38 AM »
4:

Aaaannnnd....  Akane wimps out.  (To be fair I thought it would be Kotarou who would back away by claiming he misspoke.)

Kotarou just can't catch a break.  First the teacher confiscates his phone, then his friends hassle him, then it rains, then he misses Akane in passing. So he finally musters up the courage to ask a girl he barely knows to pleeease borrow her phone and calls Akane to explain. And how does she respond?  She gets snippy and unreasonably jealous about the girl he talked to.  Oh come on, he's trying so hard, he's soaked, and compared to the usual passive/timid MC he is actually is showing a lot of courage.  Give the kid a break and stop pretending to be so upset about it. 

Now, in Akane's defense she is probably acting irritable because she's still nervous about the whole 'confession' thing, which is understandable as she doesn't really know him all that well yet.

Maybe it's a difference in Japanese social customs, but I don't understand this business of having to formally confess your love before you can even go on a casual date with someone. It's like every boy-girl social relationship has to be an all-or-nothing affair.  Either you blush beet-red just by glancing at each other, or you're 100% exclusively committed, nothing in-between.  What, you can't just do lunch together?  No group dates?  No outings at the karaoke bar?  I'm not picking on this show in particular (these kids are at an awkward age for casual mixed outings) but it does seem like an awful lot of HS animes operate on this assumption.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
4:

It's so nostalgic to remember how exciting a school field trip was... except that smartphones weren't around during my time. How did I even live my life back then...?

Poor Kotaro. Shit just happens and it was the worst possible scenario ever. It's almost as if life was giving him a trial: do whatever it takes to make sure he gets the job done (job being hooking up with Akane). Poor home boy couldn't catch a break and is too sincere to even ask Chinatsu for Akane's number. If he were creative, he could've just made a story up and say he needs to ask Akane to run an errand or something ::) But Chinatsu's cool... gotta respect that.

And I giggled again at the final snippets... like a silly bitch.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »

The CG got REALLY apparent at times this episode. Why have all these supposed beautiful scenery shots if they're just marred but terrible CG models. This is just unforgivable. Though it hasn't actually ruined any of the meaningful scenes...just may have shattered immersion and tone for some.

Yea. It's feel cut and paste.

Just realize that the whole relationship was base on texting. They hardly talk. Attraction is by secret glancing. Make me think of that Kukri carrying girl from Renai Boukun.

But it's the way they make little thing that is fascinating. Like the way Kotaro's blond friend punch his shoulder, and the way he was insensitive to Kotaro's secret.

I find this series has minimize the dialog, and uses body language to tell the story. It add a depth to the story. It can be slow, but it's fascinating to watch.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
5:

This whole Chinatsu thing is just dumb. I get it. Curly and Akane are young and too in there own head's to even converse naturally. So Akane is jealous of the dynamic Chinatsu has with Curly. Perhaps they are better together than herself and Curly. They even gave Track-kun a natural conversation with Akane. What is strange is that Chinatsu has been shown to be conscious of AkanexCurly both this episode and the last yet she pursues Curly. Granted she seems to be just being herself, that being an outgoing friendly girl, but doesn't she see the awkward atmosphere when the three are in a scene? Ultimately, the blame falls mostly on Akane and partially on Curly. Akane, for whatever reason, can't openly admit to being in a relationship so she can never cleanly break away from her friends to honor her prior commitment. Whereas Curly can never clearly say what he wants. He is shown to be uncomfortable with Chinatsu's rather forward actions but can't tell her that he is in a relationship. His submissiveness is what led to this Chinatsu thing in the first place last episode. When he didn't just outright say to Akane that Chinatsu was simply the only person he had some familiarity with so he used her cellphone or that he had now only shown up at the store but ran around it a few times.

While the bookstore scene was nice, they are just going to continue to fall into the same trappings so long as they needlessly keep their relationship a secret. You can't just solve every bout of jealousy or misunderstanding by advancing the physicality of the relationship each time you get a moment together. Communicate. This time was hand holding. A kiss next? Banging after another minor squabble? Well, rather conveniently for them, Chinatsu admitted her crush to Akane so they can skip all the suspicions and unfounded jealousy steps which would have inevitably occurred due to poor communication.

Also the timing of these appropriate side-conversations. Chinatsu shows up at the cram school while the teacher is discussing a book about love triangles. At lunch Akane's friend is saying how she is going to break up with her boyfriend cause "dating him isn't fun."

This series is so well executed. I mean, I hate love triangles on principle and often find them insufferable but this show just cruises rigt along enjoyable as can be. I bitched plenty about the nature of the events but they were nonetheless enjoyable.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »
Just chuck away the phones and stop SMS, snap chat, what's app or what ever. Just TALK!!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 03:47:03 AM »
5:

Akane and Kotaro are just ado-wable. It's cute to see how awkward things can be between them especially when it's in the beginning of their relationship... it's terribly frustrating, but understandably so.

But seriously, Kotaro really can't catch a break. Akari has a love interest in her club, and now Kotaro has one too. Really, another big test for the couple right in the beginning of their relationship? And what makes it very difficult for both of them is the unique situation each is in: Akari's love interest is her senpai (admiration and love interest go hand in hand), and Chinatsu is the extroverted kind who is proactive with getting things done (this will not bode well with introvert Kotaro who naturally has trouble saying no). It really sucks to be them... although I am rooting for them.

Just chuck away the phones and stop SMS, snap chat, what's app or what ever. Just TALK!!

Nah, they naturally wouldn't. They're both introverted and from two different worlds, so it's not easy for them to talk. LINE is actually helping them 'talk' to each other, and that's the preferred mode for such people. It's not the equivalent but it really helps to achieve things that is otherwise difficult when talking out. That's the beauty of social media: along with direct talking, they're both subsets of communication.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
It's depressing. Double failure. I would be mopping if not for the post ending trolling. Like the dating game troll.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Both got their hopes up, only to be dash.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »
6:

It's poetic to see a couple walking on different paths but experienced similar setbacks. It makes for a good story to see different yet similar life can be; if they were both yearning to run on the track, or become good writers, it wouldn't be so interesting (unless the script can prove me wrong).

The real acid test comes next, with Chinatsu wanting to confess to Kotarou. Akane can't say no if she trusts her, but the result can be terrifying: either everything going back to normal (if Kotarou rejects her) or lose everything, both her best friend and boyfriend (if Kotarou accepts her). And this happening right after flopping at the track... now she can't catch a break.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »
6:

So the Chinatsu thing was all for a false cliffhanger? **** me.
Was Chinatsu deliberately sabotaging Akane? That skank.

So the publishing thing was just just to shit on him? **** me.
This editor is a real douchebag. Preying upon a child. But hey, ya gotta get them potential light novelists before they reach legal age and realize how trash light novels are. 

Akane's parents vs Curly's parents
WTF was with the sister's advice? Just ****ing ditch your best friend if she crushes on your secret man. I wonder if the sister practiced what he preached? We haven't seen her interact with anyone other than her boyfriend whom she has been with since high school. Not that there would be any reason for the leads to bump into her as she is paling around town with female friends.

WTF is this cliffhanger?

This episode was series of utterly beautiful scenes interspersed among scenes of WTF.
When Akane was taking her position to start the race - fantastic.
The train + track meet prep set to insert song - amazing
This whole episode was literally a farce. The show just portrayed an assumed conflict, that Akane and Chinatsu would be at odds with one another, when neither had any problem with the other.

Why must this show be so good and yet so terrible.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 05:35:41 AM »
Recapp.

It's just all the clippings which the two MCs ever speak in a proper sentences. Akane do make cute 'errrh?'  sounds.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
See Curly-kun. You get your girl when you maned up.

Actually, it was short (>20 minutes. The rest is filled up by slide of school life filler, like how the girls bitch behind the cute teacher). But it was the subtle way way the story is told. How the most irritating guy is the only one who knows what going on and how he try to get Akane and Curly kun together. Like the way he jump the roller coaster ride. How Chinatsu and Takumi (the sport jock) was hurt and try to conceal it.

And there is the 'perfect timing' when they bump into each other. But I'll take that as dramatic license.

Now what??? Akane will know how she hurt Chinatsu. Many girls will still like Takumo. So he's open hunting season again? How will the rest of the girl react when they are together.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 10:56:53 PM »
7:

Holy Shit.
Was this episode perfect?
I genuinely have not a single qualm.
The only downside is the ever increasing time devoted to the post-episode bits.

I mean, I have various comments.
When MC asserted himself as Akane's boyfriend I feel Track-kun's response should have been something like "who the hell is this fuccboi?"
Chinatsu? She knew it was inevitable but crushes at this age are just that, crushes.
The overwhelming purity of affirmation definitely silences the lesser scenes.

The ambiguous ending, which seems to perpetuate a conflict between Akane and Chinatsu, is the only meaningful point of contention.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14:16 AM »
7:

Oh nooo, I feel so happy and sad at the same time.

Happy to see Kotarou grew a pair and affirm his relationship with Akane. So sad to see a cheery Chinatsu tearing up after being jilted (and without confessing too). The sticky situation usually comes after: with the social circle be affected? To some extent it does almost always, but it's great to see Akane and Chinatsu still okay with each other. But I still think they'd be better off with some distance between each other.

And what's up with the casual "just the heatstroke"? Heatstroke's something you go to the ER for; he's probably just heat syncope or something. Hope it's just loss of translation.

And yes, I feel bad giggling at the snippets at the end of the episode.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 08:01:06 PM »
Akane do make cute 'errrh?'  sounds.

Lowkey this is 70% of why I watch this show.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 10:56:40 PM »
9:

Introvert's nightmare: too much attention.

Summer festival... well, of course. I just had to happen. But I like how this episode explores the normalcy of a budding relationship: pet names, girl talk in the sacred girls' bathroom, small talk, appreciating what each other does, etc. It's nothing particularly extraordinary, but I guess that's what's great: it's always the small things that are important.

But teacher no, don't go there!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 01:16:21 AM »
This is not the typical bombastic high school love. A bit too much realism. Maybe that's why they have photo like back ground, but very 2D animation. One thing I though was unusual was it was a shy geeky guy that loves a female sports jock.

But stories are based on events. So I guess something will happen.

The traditional festive dance that  Kotarou was impressive.

Post ED clips.
1. Parents, children hates it when parents sneak and read your children stuff

But teacher no, don't go there!
2. She's a lonely cougar.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2017, 09:28:12 PM »
9[8]...9studios:

Good stuff.

I want, no I need, this hot kid to bang the hot teacher. And for it to remain as casual and very much in the background as their interactions were this episode.

Not as open(canon) as I would like but I guess I should be keeping up with these post episode bits.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 05:06:22 AM »
9:

Nuuuuu, golden couple's gonna break up ;_;

Moving because of Dad's job change must be hard.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »
Don't forget that Chinatsu is encouraging  Hira to take Akane away from  Kotarou.

Kotarou going to be a LN author?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2017, 05:39:22 AM »
10:

Senpai got friendzoned. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!

I'm a bit ambivalent about Kotaro's decision. I've seen many cases where kids think they know what they do but in retrospect admit they actually didn't. I know a lot is going through his head and all, but that's no excuse to the fact that he was being a little immature there. But seriously, as callous as it sounds, going to a school only because of girlfriend's there doesn't seem very rational. Clearly, it doesn't even occur to him to consider going there in the first place if it wasn't for Akari's moving.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2017, 11:50:29 AM »
That is assuming that Kotaro parent's does not know about his REAL reason. It's a privet school. So it's a more 'prestigious' than a government school. The fees should be higher. And Kotaro's grades are average. His parent does not want him to be a writer as it has affected his studies. Parents will make sacrifice for the children education. If he could prove he'll get good grades, he do stand a chance to go to that school. So good grades, more prestigious, and be with Akane.

I do like the realistic feeling of Kotaro's jealously. It's not like the typical anime where the MC will laugh it off. He realize his mistake. But he has a responsibility to the festival. Typical anime MC will just drop everything to get the girl. It left him feeling guilt. And too proud to apologies.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 05:13:37 AM »
11:

Nice episode, albeit expected.

Can't complain though; it's the thing that happens to every other kid. Kid wants to make his own decision, and Mom wants what's best for him. Then they reach an understanding. Happily ever after.

That's great. Now move along.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:26 AM »
Final:

Now that's a great ending, right there.

Long distance relationships are hard, based on pure observation (not personal experience, however). Although in this case it isn't really that long per se, but I'd imagine it be tough for middle school kids. But seeing Akane tearing up like that... that's heartbreaking.

But HEY, they even got married in the end. What a time leap that was. They had a happy ending. I felt really happy.

It's a 7/10 for me. Really solid start, and it maintained throughout. Well done.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
12:

"Reality" came out swinging but got caught in the jaw in the final seconds or round 12.

Distance is one hell of an obstacle for any well meaning romance since it opens the gate for countless more obstacles too. Chinatsu is like Akane's sister in thinking that Kotarou’s relationship is doomed, but she had selfish desires as well. I wouldn’t call her actions here noble, but I do think they’re understandable. Why not? Fate seems to have dealt her a favorable hand so why not take a shot while there's still a chance? You know, get the idea in his head in case him and Akane drift apart?

Akane's frustration over the difficulties Kotarou's been going through was well within reason. After all, he's had to put more into making the relationship work, as both the one who first dropped the confession, all the stuff they both went through, having to study his ass off, and being the one who had to make the long bus rides. Kotarou not telling her about the confession wasn't the problem, it's the fact that he was given yet another difficult decision to deal with because of her influence on his life. She felt her love for Kotarou was being vastly shown up by his for her.

The series could have stopped with “To think that someone I loved could love me back… I thought it must have been a miracle" and I could have lived with my imagination filling in the tail end blank, but Kishi through us all a bone with an ending we all wanted to believe was attainable, revealing this story as the authentic fairy tale it was always meant to be.

This was low-key dope stuff. A respectable 8/10 effort.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
8:

Episode was framed beautifully with the question "Why do you like Curly?". Early in the episode Akane was asked the question but couldn't provide a definitive answer. Then, following the events of the episode, Akane was once again asked the same question which they then answered wonderfully. Now this isn't to say one must be able to articulate one's feeling for such feelings to be valid but simply that it was nice to see her have a more concrete understanding as to why she has those feelings.

9:

Moving. The classic drama point of any narrative focusing on kids.These damn kids with their new age
I've always loved how mature kids are in anime regarding graduation and the inevitable progression of life.
Nice to see they have reached  place in their relationship where they can be more open, even if was limited to LINE.

10:

Ya know, as unneeded as Hira and Chinatsu are, they do serve a genuine purpose. I respect them as characters. They frustrate me as a omniscient-ish viewer but, much like how I mentioned kids in anime accepting graduation I too like the concept of carrying a crush to its conclusion. Stating your feelings outright despite knowing the futility. Sure it could be seen as a selfish act - you are doing it to unburden yourself while potentially imposing a burden on another - but damn it is nice to see. The best example I can think of was in Toradora where Kitamura thanked the President for being his object of affection for all those years. Ugh, it my favorite scene in all of the show.
Not sure a 2 hour commute both to and from school is feasible. They are gonna have to be separated by the end, right? That is the logical conclusion of this show given the age of the characters. For them to have had a short, but meaningful, relationship before life inevitably separated them. I'll probably be upset if they cop out and give a saccharine ending

11:

That conversation about choice of high school with his parents was very reminiscent of my experience with colleges right down to the demeanor of each parent. Though my point of contention wasn't a girl but rather a general inability to take life seriously.
This entire episode was literally just my 3 member family during my college application process. Everything was just right from the accepting dad to the reluctant but ultimately understanding mother it was all so familiar.
I've always been interested in the high school acceptance system in Japan(as seen in anime). Are grades just not a factor so long as you pass an entrance exam? US college admission would've been better if I could have just coasted on my SAT score without having to show a consistent work ethic throughout high school.
Though I am curious about the mother's endgame. Does she just not want to stifle her son when he has finally shown passion but all the while expecting, even hoping for, him to fail or is she actually on board this daily four hour commute primarily spurred by a girl. I suppose, finances allowing, they could find a small apartment for Curly to live in during high school. Oh shit, then we could get Akane and Curly: The High School Year. Dating in high school without the worry of parents...it would be just like all the other anime.

12:

OH SHIT.
I did not see this Cinatsu development coming, though I probably should have. She had yet to resolve her feelings and had made mention of public school. This could be good. Relationships reflect chapters in one's life. This could be goood.
Was Chinatsu LINE avatar Usain Bolt? Cute detail.
How did Chinatsu find Curly's story?
"What happens next?" What a boss line.
Oh boy they're doing the "catch her at the gate" rom-com cliche and it is adorable.

The whole damn series felt like one extended Ghibli movie with its subdued tone, purposeful pacing, and lovely art(cg models notwithstanding). Somewhat romanticized but still a great little coming of age tale about two adolescents who share a brief but meaningful connection...is what I would have said if they didn't, rather needlessly, insert a concluding montage which followed the characters through high school, through marriage, to finally having a child.
8/10

I still want one of them Squeezie things
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:22:23 PM by Zeitgeist »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up