Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 02:10:58 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tsuki ga Kirei  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Stark700

Tsuki ga Kirei
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
1:

Hmm, I thought this first episode was kinda interesting. OP song has an unique vibe to it while the show itself has an atmospheric feel.

Character designs has some distinguishable outlines.

The episode itself seems pretty simple with the premise. We got the introduction of the main characters. Music is nice, really liked the light instrumental OST used in this. Akane is a pretty typical female character you'll find in these type of shows although she also has a love for running. Kotarou is the book guy as he enjoys reading.

Really curious to learn more about these characters as more episodes are aired. For now, I think the show has potential, will definitely be watching more of it.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Tsuki ga Kirei
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
1:

Nice. The quiet, awkward style of romance is what resonates most with me when I think of highschool; the erotic, passionate style of Kuzu no Honkai less so. That said, I still expect the romance to be exciting and fun, so we'll see if this show manages that or falls into boredom.

EDIT: Also, I'm a dingo dog. Tsuki means moon, not star. Hoshi means star.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:57:23 PM by Marid King »
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
Hey Stark?  I don't mind you making the discussion threads on this forum because it saves me and others the time, but you're allowed to come back and talk about things while the show is running, too.  Seems like the last few seasons you start the threads then disappear until next season.  You can stick around, y'know.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
1:

This show is listed under HS SOL, which means that we will see lots of beautiful busty girls with luscious knee-length multicolored hair and featuring lots of pratfall oppai jokes and tsundere beatdowns, right?  But wait, instead we see normal schoolgirls with regular black hair and realistic body proportions who have actual parents who interact with other students' actual parents in a perfectly normal way.  WHAT THE SAM HILL IS GOING ON HERE THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE JAPANESE ANIME.

Anyway, this is a nice change of pace: a straight-up and rather low-key HS romantic slow burner that will follow the lives of the mains from the end of middle school on into high school (any maybe even beyond that).  The show (English title: The Moon is Beautiful) is an anime original by Studio Feel ('feel.') - no stranger to fanservicey productions (So I Can't Play H!, Bikini Warriors, Mayo Chiki!), but you won't find that here. 

The writer of this original work is Yūko Kakihara, who did the series composition for the anime adaptations of orange, Heaven's Lost Property, Persona 4, and Chihayafuru 2, and she also wrote half the scripts for Kids on the Slope - another realistic romance tale and one of my favorites.  This is her first all-original work (I think).

After seeing some really low-quality new animation this season (Sakurada, Alice & Zoroku) it was nice to see a show that for once didn't look like it was created in CorelDraw.  My only complaint is the odd white backlit border that seems to surround every character in almost every scene. The white border appears everywhere, including indoors and in dark places where no backlighting is evident, and it's kind of distracting.

Both mains are painfully shy at this point.  To learn more about the opposite sex Kotarou decides to read Osamu Dazai's (yes *that* Osamu Dazai) short story Schoolgirl, a diary-like narrative that reveals the inner thoughts of a schoolgirl, including her feelings and inner turmoil, over the course a single day.  It is one of Dazai's early works (published in 1939 but possibly written in 1933) that thankfully doesn't feature his later penchant for writing and obsessing about suicide - so it is still probably a better source for Kotarou to learn about the opposite sex than his bikini mag :-).

I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop.  The soundtrack uses Maedan style piano-and-violins, and it fits the mood well.  It is unclear how many episodes the show will air, but I hope it will have enough eps to let us watch the characters grow and mature over time without feeling rushed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:40:57 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »
1:

Im not sure if these kids really are 3rd years. In my experience most kids in their final years of "highschool" sauntered about like they owned the damn place.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »
Guys, I'm about 80% sure they said they're 3rd years in middle school.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
Yeah they are in middle school aka 'junior high' aka 'lower secondary'. This should clear things up:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Japan#School_grades.

Still I think my point is valid. These kids are in their last year of middle school and their campus probably doesnt have higher class than theirs - most public schools have different campuses for Lower secondary and upper secondary school. So they are in their seniormost year on their campus. As before, in my experience the 8th graders were the seniormost on campus and they would, again, strut about like they owned the place.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
This is more in reference to Huuskerdu's comment about them not having  amazing bodies.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 04:50:17 AM »
1:

Ha ha ha!  Holy ****in' parents, am I right guys?  Y'know what the best part about being embarrassed by your parents is as a kid?  Growing up and having your own kids and embarrassing the shit out of them when they get to be awkward teenagers.

I have two nephews.  I am so telling whatever girl they dare to bring around me how many times I had to change their smelly diapers as babies.  I'll FIND a girl, even if she's not a prospective love interest, and have her sit next to my nephews just so I can tell her these things.  **** it all if I'm not going to torment the shit out of them during their formative years and drive them to possible suicide!  Ha ha!

No, I wont do that.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 05:33:55 AM »
1:

I find this show strangely charming.

The show really felt a lot like Wandering Son, and I checked if the director is the same guy (the answer is no). But the reason why it's strangely charming is this: I am struck by just how normal the story is. Bookworm Kotaro meets Sporty Akane (mismatches happen all the time). Akane has a strange habit whenever she's nervous, and notices a curl in Kotaro's hair (everyone has a strange habit, and notices trivial things every time). Parents doing awkward things to their kids (read TIF's post). Those LINE references (too real).

So by default, since this show is so mundane, I should find it boring to watch. But I don't. Why? Because the story reflects real life so closely that other shows don't even reach this level. I mean, when's the last time any school-set show mentioned anything about forming an online group on LINE i.e. the one thing every kid can relate to, but is never mentioned on any anime??

Coupling the story with an OP and ED that strangely felt like songs from the 90s, and remove all the familiar teenage angst and raging hormones, and I get a show that's refreshing to watch.

Question: is Line Corporation sponsor this show?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
2:

What's with the quirky shorts at the end of this episode?  Are we not going to have time exploring everybody else's relationships, so they're giving us the Cliff's Notes version instead?

Poor sensei.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
2:

This show makes me all fuzzy inside.

Nothing much to say about the episode itself, although I love how subtle the story is. Boys admiring Akane's butt and Kotaro peeking at the girl's neckline are just stuff growing kids do, but the show doesn't indulge on them and go full ecchi over them. Good call.

I giggled at the shorts at the end. Popular kid aims for the teacher instead of the other girls. Shit, he's going places.

Online Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
1:

Did Akane take a shower and than put the same clothes on?

Was this the first ever "family goes out for dinner" scene in anime? I honestly do'nt think I have ever seen one.
Regardless, we need more. More parents ns adolescent cented anime.
It was great

Everything about this first episode was so filmic and freaking awesome. 10/10

My only complaint, too much CG walking. Youre butchering the beautiful art design and color pallete with jarring CG.
Well there is also the needless pervasive glow. . It isnt even shading or shadow - all the characters just glow like theyre using nen circa 99.

2:

Akane was in the 200m event. She ran a full lap. Were they on a half-size track? Scratch that, Curly was offhandedly shown using a line-painting thingamajig.
This time for real, assumin' real-time, Akane's event took 28-ish seconds which is pretty great for her age. That track dude's time was about 30 seconds. He is awfully cocky for such an under-performing active track athlete. Why aint anyone giving him shit? I would.   

Well, it was only a matter of time before that "Squeezie" became a plot device.
I want, no I need, this hot kid to bang the hot teacher. And for it to remain as casual and very much in the background as their interactions were this episode.

What are the odds she'd walk by the bathroom just they were shiting on her?

Man, I was seriously scared that Curly would find Squeezie but than Track Kid would be the one to return it. Dodged that bullet.

So, Akane finds it embarrassing to be in front of people but her passion for running supersedes said embarrassment. So, her mindset will affect Curly insofar as he will allow others to read his writing. Look at that. They're already helping one another. It is this Whispers of the Heart vibe. The methodical pacing and limited script already made this feel like a film and now given the character dynamics(bonus with one pursuing writing). Awe, they went and spelled it out. It is shit now.

I was grinning so hard during that text exchange. Though, to be spiteful, I was irritated at my idea that emojiis have replaced genuine wit(at the age of 13). Who needs to be funny and clever when you can just link a lawlsy image. These kids have it easy.

Still beautiful visually. Took a bit of a hit narratively.
**** w/e I said about Clockwork Planet.
I am all about this series.
Though, given my earlier mentions of this feeling very much like a film, I dont know if can sustain itself(tone, pacing, appropriate level of drama) over the course of a full series.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:03:16 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Pebble

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
2:

Its awfully simplistic.

Not sure what I expected though.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
3:

Of all the books in the library that Kotarou could have randomly picked, guess which one he pulls out of the stacks?  A book by Mr. I-❤️-Suicide of course. The title is チャソス (Chaososu? Chaos?). 

The random page Kotarou picks reads: At the very least, I don't believe romance comes down to chance.  I believe it comes down to volition.

It certainly does, and so Kotarou musters his courage as he makes a last minute save with Akane and successfully avoids a life trapped in the Friend Zone.

And so Kotarou confesses, and we even get a title drop: The moon is beautiful.

Well that's it. Series is over!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:54:14 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up