Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 08:08:44 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sakurada Reset  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Stark700

Sakurada Reset
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
1:

Interesting first episode.

We got the setting (Sakurada) and the main characters. Kei seems like an interesting person and the narratives goes on to explore the premise from his point of view. Sumire also seems like an interesting person, would definitely like to know more about her as this series progresses.

Definitely has my interest so far. There's not much comedy as it has the more atmospheric and serious feel. Animation style feels PA Workish.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

Re: Sakurada Reset
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
1: Dull. I think I was watching a bunch of philosophical babble from the writer being read by designed characters, rather than people of any measure of believability interacting with one-another. I'll watch more to see if the series can pull itself together and tell an actual goddamn story, but for now I'd prefer the writer not pretend as if his exposition episode is a dumping ground to try to stimulate the intellects of those watching. I want characters - if you want to be thematic and enlighten me in a certain way, show these themes in praxis and not in the dialogue.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »
1:

A bit dialog-heavy, but that can be all right if the discussions remain interesting enough (Bakemonogatari) or if it develops naturally from the characters (Hyouka).  The philosophical musings were so-so I thought, and not especially thought provoking.

Like SG with its 36 character limit, the TT in this show has well-defined bounds: Misora must explicitly set the savepoint first, the savepoint is good only for up to 72 hours, and she can't do another save within 24 hours of a reset.  In response to the last point Kei concludes, "So, you can't repeat the same time over and over again", but that only makes sense if Misora can't do another reset (not a save) within 24 hours of a reset?  (Might be a translation problem?)

The animation looked like it cost about $65 to produce, with mouth flaps and little else.  At least Hyouka* had amazing visuals to compensate for all of its talkyness. 

At the end we get a teaser about the mystery of Mari in the next ep.  If we won't be seeing good visuals we had better at least get decent mysteries out of this show.

*Yes I finally own Hyouka. MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »
Ayy, pls post your thoughts in the Hyouka thread!
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »

Major disappointment at least the first episode. Premise had potential but boils down to being pseudo-intellectual marathon of watching two talking heads spew out some "deep" and "provoking" conversation. Where are the characters because i sure cant see them? Where is the story? I want some dynamic relationships between characters god damn it.

If you have a discussion based show make the discussions interesting or even better.... make the characters having the discussion feel like they are human beings. Not two floating robot heads producing philosophical "clever" banter.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:28:32 AM »
1:

This show serves a very important lesson.

Here's the thing: the story is going to be a mess. Heck, Misora and Kei's powers are a mess. Rather than exploring the extent of her powers, the story is simply saying "okay, this girl can rewind time and reset everyone's memories. Don't worry; we will just say that such people can bend the laws of physics so that we don't have to explain plot holes".

Here's another big problem: it tries to be intelligent (emphasis on 'try'). Am I supposed to be wow'ed by the intellectual babble? Not really, because I don't care. The characters are play secondary role to their dialogue, so I feel like I am looking at statues that wax philosophical on the meaning of life.

So what's the important lesson: characters and plot are equally important. This is how you mess both up.

Dropped.

edit: This show is apparently 24 episodes long. Dropped again.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »
1:

What everyone else said.
Though short-haired girl seems to have a little something goin on. Though she is lessened by her clear romantic interest in bland Mc-kun.
I will say the Main Girl is such a hilarious rip of Tenshi from Angel Beats. She is just this adorable character voiced by Kana who wants to help people but is too autistic to do it properly.

2:

Seeing how this is a first impression, I need to toss in my arbitrary anime comparison. This show seems to be what Charlotte should have been. Namely, a somewhat episodic tale of super powered teens who aim to aide others...and it somehow touches upon the nature of humanity or something. Scratch that. Seems the show wants to have a plot.

I dont know if I can handle some teenager just being right about everything. I'm getting Cross Ange ep1 flashbacks. This series seems to want to be Kino no Tabi but doesnt understand why Kino works as well as it does. For one, Kino isnt a child. Not in regards to her age but also her experience. Kino has seen some shit. The reason she takes this "been there done that" attitude is because she literally has been there and has done that. But even more importantly, Kino is character of few words. She doesnt go off on these long-ass speeches in which she preaches to characters. She either makes herself clear with a single sentence or makes herself clear with a decisive act. And Kino isnt alway right. And Kino had actual directing and depth-of-concept but thats  sll beside the point.

Oh, I forgot. I cant imagine a person whom had developed super powers and just willingly gave them up. The fact that people move away form this town, thus losing their abilities, is so alien and non-fathomable. I would live and die bie my power. Regardless of its inherent usefulness.

Short-haired girl remains the sole source of intrigue. Though the series is quietly killing even this reason to continue watching. They killing her by having her be affected by fuccboi MC. She clearly has a higher sense - she knows what's goin on. MC-kun in boring and unintersting. The very fact that she cares for him also renders her boring and uninteresting. Or does she so far into the fiture that she loves the cool person he'll ultimately become? I've been watching checkers but she's been chess...as they say. (I wrote/meant this before the timeskip/death)
"Yes. I'll follow your lead." good to know despite a random 2 year time-skip you havent developed a ****ing personality or sense of agency. Also, your hairstyle looks like shit.
24 episodes? That cant be right. There is no ****ing way anyone could suffer this shit for so long. But I'mma try and prove myself wrong.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:25:41 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
2:

I've seen Swedish arthouse films that were less sterile and pretentious than this thing.

Poor Asimov got abused almost as bad as Lewis Carroll in Alice & Zoroku.

(MK: Hyouka was awesome and I really can't add any commentary beyond what has already been said. Thank you for the rec.)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
Aight, glad you liked it.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 05:56:15 PM »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
About ****ing time.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 03:17:14 AM »
[Looks at Amazon JP bill.]   Of course *now* it's out. Sigh.

Buying Hyouka is super value though. Imo its got a shocking amount of rewatch value for something in its genre.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »
Ayy, pls post your thoughts in the Hyouka thread!

Marid had it right back up above, tho.  Move any more off topic conversations to the right thread.  This thread is for all of that one person to enjoy Sakurada Reset.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
3:

The animation quality actually improved a bit.

We get an episode centered on cats. Nope, still don't care.

Why is this ep title '1/2' (not '3/3')?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up