Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 03:57:49 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sakura Quest  (Read 2629 times)

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Re: Sakura Quest
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »
it's as though towns in RL need to have lucky breaks in order to revitalize successfully. Well too bad, not every town has a Sandal or becomes a venue for an impromptu concert. It may work for Manoyama, but then again it's a fictional town.

This show is a 7/10 for me. It may have its set of problems, but it's a show I've been following closely since day one. I had fun talking to myself on this thread.

To be fair, even with all those coincidences, Manoyama's future is still pretty hazy. Their were no overnight solutions, and if it wasn't for old man Chupakabra striking a deal at the end, I'm not sure that the Festival would've lead to anything more than pleasant memories for a night. They haven't achieved their happy ending quite yet, but the town is sure as hell a lot better equipped to get there now.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
Except the problems of the town haven't gone away.  The issue was mentioned when Yoshino went home to her small rural town, and that issue is the declining population.  Just by the show's examples, there appears to be roughly 10 or 20 citizens under the age of 30 that live there, and the rest are all senior citizens.  With more and more kids leaving for the opportunities city life provides, and the aged population dying off without replacements, the town is doomed.  No amount of festivals or sister-townships are going to stop that.  Nothing of what they have done has reversed the trend of people wanting to come live out in the sticks.  Yoshino even points out that the strength of the town is in the people, not anything else.  Well, that people grouping is slowly ebbing away.  Without it, there is no Manoyama.

Yoshino herself leaves, emblematic of the problems Manoyama faces.  She wants to go and try something else, to find her goal in life, even if that is still helping other small towns, she's still NOT there anymore.  It is an ironic ending, but appropriate.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2017, 02:52:57 AM »
The show (or at Yoshino) tried its best, but of course I don't think their problems are solved. In fact, even the whole town merger issue wasn't resolved by the end of the series. In a way, it symbolizes the fate that Japan is facing in RL. The fact that, at one point, the Board of Merchants mentioned about accepting fate as it is was all the more poignant.

Bear in mind, the show has only been discussing revitalizing the town through local tourism. If they were to go into foreign tourism and attracting immigrants, it's a whole new topic altogether.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up