Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 11:06:16 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sakura Quest  (Read 2922 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Sakura Quest
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
Japanese people are racist?  Holy shit!

I will say that some Scandies look pretty obviously Scandinavian.  They have an even more platinum blondness to their hair, sometimes, that makes them stand out.  They're also fairly tall, and that shot of Sandal standing next to Hinako is pretty telling.  Sure, she's probably five foot two or something, but he's towering over her as a mid six footer would.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
10:

We have a word for the kind of bachelor who would travel to the adjacent village to check out chicks visiting from the city. Its tharki. The T is soft and you roll the R like a spaniard. So next time you see one of these herd animals you know just how to insult them without them understanding what you're saying. And if they do understand, well, now you know how urban north-indian they are.

I am starting to grow fond of this ED, which is a shame since it will probably be leaving soon.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2017, 05:13:30 AM »
11:

Great episode. This one is surprisingly deep and heavy, but the whole theme of outsiders and feeling left out is particularly well done. Ririko's story is probably the best out of all the team.

And Sandal rescued the day! BRO'S PART JAPANESE, YO!!

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »
11:

And who said their isn't a cure for autism?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
12:

Huh, didn't know this is a two-cour series.

I'm always very cynical about reality TV. I used to like them, back in the day during the first season of Survivor and others following that. But then, reality TV started to become less... real. Writers and directors claim that reality TV is about real people and real lives, but seeing as how their goal is to make compelling TV, there's a conflict of interest. Real life isn't always compelling TV. In some cases, the cast even have to put on acts just to make things more dramatic.

But of course, this show isn't a social commentary about all that. The director is bullish but means well, and everything went (unusually) well when there's a dramatic moment in the Board of Merchants meeting, and the director has a lucky break with a band.

When people try to chronicle a success story, it almost always feel like it happened because things were destined to succeed. But no, that's not real life; luck is always the least salient but significant factor that makes or breaks something.

But of course, Sandal comes to save the day. ALWAYS!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »
13:

For a 6000-head crowd for a surprise concert, things went unusually smooth. And this is after taking the whole technical difficulty and just one pile of garbage into account. In event planning, everything goes wrong, and it's unusually worse than this.

Was I surprised that the TV program didn't go as Sakura planned? Heck no; it's exactly what I thought would happen. Like I said, reality TV is about making compelling TV. A documentary about an obscure town like Manoyama is not compelling TV. Even if the surprise band concert is a stroke of luck, it's not that of a big deal. Maybe even the host deliberately did this just to boost TV ratings.

Indeed, the Board of Merchants may be having the last laugh: they do not really want to change the landscape, yet reap the sales benefits without having to put up with the follow-up (garbage disposal, coupon redemptions).

SANDAL'S NAME IS GOD AWESOME THO

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 05:46:17 AM »
1-14:

Seriously, I could do less with the trite writing and I am okay with Sakura Quest.

For the episode itself, the girls went soul searching (or went for a breather?) and I appreciate the way they handled this. Damn,  I want Yoshino and the girls to succeed in reviving Manoyama. Damn it.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 05:51:34 AM »
14:

New OP. A little edgy for this kind of show IMO.

Yes, it's that summer festival / cool-off episode. But as clichéd as it may be, it's well done. Sakura went back home and ponders about her life and those around her. In fact, that's what homecoming is about: reflection of the self. Sakura tries hard to increase the number of visitors and residents in Manoyama.

However, she's thinking too much inside the box, and thus a homecoming like this would help her the reasons people would move to a place like that: people and a sense of belonging. What she's going through is completely relatable to a lot of people: going back to square one, understand where things went wrong and start all over again.

It's interesting to note the subtle yet stark differences between increasing tourism and population for towns. Tourism focuses more on tourist attractions (and the logistics that come with it), whilst re-population is about building a community. For someone working in such plans, it's always to ask what reasons do people have to visit as tourists or move as new residents altogether. A tourist wants to get away from home (example: an airBnB, like what Shiori is proposing); a resident wants a home.

It's wonderful to see how the ministry are catching up with their personal lives. Sanae's high-powered girl-friends are a positive image of the independent working women who are more interested in their work lives rather than settling down. Maki is still mentoring her kouhai with pride and satisfaction. Both essentially have made peace with themselves even if their friends have progressing.

One problem: what is up with this Spanish problem? Is this how Japanese people view foreigners: misunderstood whack-jobs who cause trouble to towns?

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 05:59:35 AM »
"One problem: what is up with this Spanish problem? Is this how Japanese people view foreigners: misunderstood whack-jobs who cause trouble to towns?"

Agreed, it felt so out of place in the series and so with the new OP. Well, I think I will have the same reaction if I saw a group of people wandering in the city I was in. More so if they cannot speak my native language (or English) for that matter.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
One problem: what is up with this Spanish problem? Is this how Japanese people view foreigners: misunderstood whack-jobs who cause trouble to towns?

Wait, aren't all foreigners like this in every anime?  It seems to be a general example of Japanese isolationism, especially among anime / manga authors who have no worldliness to speak of.  To wit:  they don't know shit about how the rest of the world acts or behaves.  At best, they see tourists, who, yeah, can be obnoxious twats at times.

On the other hand, Japanese people are treated with about the same level of ignorance by American media, so I guess it is fair.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »

Wait, aren't all foreigners like this in every anime?  It seems to be a general example of Japanese isolationism, especially among anime / manga authors who have no worldliness to speak of.  To wit: they don't know shit about how the rest of the world acts or behaves.  At best, they see tourists, who, yeah, can be obnoxious twats at times.

Seems so; it always seems like foreigners are treated like aliens (well, they are 'aliens' according to immigrations). Even if this group of people seems very gregarious, I'd chill "chill, they're human".

And Americans always think of me as Latino. Or Spanish. Or Indian. I'm just sad.

Offline SQA

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »
Japanese culture is complicated because it's very, very old. To the Japanese, pretty much everyone *is* extremely loud and likes to invade their personal space. Not that the Japanese are all that actually very quiet, especially if you get a bunch of Japanese Women together. So any time they're dealing with foreigners, this point will come up.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »
15:

OH GOD SOMEBODY PLEASE STICK PINS IN MY EARS--

Putting these god awfully cringy moments aside, I have not much of an issue how these Spanish friends are portrayed. Accurate or not I can't say; I haven't had the chance to mingle with them or visited their country. But I like how Lucia planted an idea into Ririko's head about leaving Manoyama and making her question what a home means. After all, that's what this show is all about: finding and making a home.

And I thought Ushimatsu was exposing Chupacabra, but turns out he's actually hiding something. Hmm. Mechanized chopsticks... yeah, ORLY.

But yet again, who saves the day? My man, Sandal. Gotta steal the limelight as always, ain't you boy 8)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
16:

So that's what went down between Ririko's grandma Chitose and Kadota. Well, it does explain everything, though: Kadota has always been passionate about reviving the town especially through unconventional means. But for Chitose, it's more about him turning his back on her and still not getting over his immature angst.

There's an important scene in this episode, one that is quite inconspicuous. Chitose explained to Ririko that those were all this past and she hardly remembers them. It's logical to deduce that, ergo, memories are fleeting and it eventually doesn't matter. However, she advices the opposite: do whatever you can before ages catches up to her. That's unexpected of her, especially to Ririko who would believe that her grandma wouldn't allow her to explore the world as it would encourage her to leave Manoyama for good.

Sakura's proposal to revitalize the town by reviving the old festival is beautifully (albeit clichéd) figurative. It's basically the epitome of solving a present problem by going back to one's roots, especially when the problem is another form of another back in the past. People didn't celebrate the old festival because people stopped caring, and the town doesn't care if it's not revitalized because people stopped caring again. It's the same thing.

This show is surprisingly deep in some aspects.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2017, 12:16:15 AM »
Goddamn it AC, there isn't a character in this show called Sakura!

16:

I came out of this arc thinking that this is probably the most natural presentation of foreigners I've seen in anime. Little stylistic bullshit and some meaningful interactions with the main cast.

This episode also gave us some hints on what the end game would look like. Definitely looking forward to that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up