Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 05:54:18 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sakura Quest  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Stark700

Sakura Quest
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »
1:

The OP song is kinda cute.

Koharu is a pretty normal girl looking to fulfill her dreams. Her job hunting begins with a rocky start until luck changes and her life becomes much more interesting. I must say, the first episode did a decent job at establishing the story. It didn't waste much time and got right into the point. Koharu's character is pretty determined so I'm rather interested to see how this show develops her life.

The part with the green monster in costume gave me a good laugh. Nice start so far.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:26:17 AM by Stark700 »

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Sakura Quest
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
1:

This shit is adorable. Miyamori best girl. Shit sorry not Miyamori. I meant Koharu. Koharu.

Anyway its clear PA Works is phoning it in. Just about everything in this show is recycled from some earlier PA Works show. I still like it though because Miyamori best girl.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:35:39 PM by Pebble »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »
1:

Kinda...lame. Nothing particularly wrong with the episode, but I'm just not excited for the rest of this.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 04:05:14 AM »
1:

"Rusty" Venture:  Wha... what the hell was that!?
Brock Sampson:  Chupacabra.  They're all over Mexico.
"Rusty":  No way...

It is the new fluffy PA Works anime.  I don't really need to talk about it.  There's no need, because, see... um... well because I... look it isn't the anime's fault that I have no dicking idea where this is going and whether I should like it or not.  I'm clearly the one to blame here.  I mean, if I can't figure it out in the first episode then there's something wrong with me, right?  I don't want you to think that you're somehow to blame for all this, PA Works!  I mean, you've given us so much that is so good, that nothing can ever end that relationship between us, right?!

RIGHT!?

/quietly

I'll see you next week?
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:09:30 AM »
1:

I feel all so fuzzy watching this... and at the same time, I felt this show is mocking me.

A bit about myself: I work for the Hokkaido Government and I deal with local tourism promotion offices all the time. The problems Sakura encountered are all too real. The erratic bus schedules. The old people-only population. The need to revive towns that nobody heard of. The "what does town XYZ even have??" feeling. When Sakura said that, I wanted to high-five her.

This is perfect light-viewing for me, and I always need something like this every season. It's basically this season's Poco's Udon World, and yes, I do get a lot of Hanasaku Iroha vibe from this show. No surprise coming from P.A. Works.

Question: is it even legal for a company to ask Sakura about how many successful applications she has gotten? Isn't that crossing the line or something?

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
Stupid.
Everything about it is dumb.
I had fun.
Main Girl has a fantastic design.
Manager Girl has an even better design.
I'll forget about this show by tomorrow.

I assume this is all in some way analogous to modern Japanese culture but whatever.

As I do, I'd rather this all be a visual novel wherein I could just experience the narrative of, and bang, Manager Girl.
Meaning: Your story is uninteresting. Atleast gratify me sexually.
But who knows? It could be decent
oh yea
I already forgot it existed.

Back to my Nana watch.

Question: is it even legal for a company to ask Sakura about how many successful applications she has gotten? Isn't that crossing the line or something?

Speaking as an "expert", regarding the situations in the USA, sure they can ask but she is in no way obligated to provide an answer. Companies are well within their right to question prospective hires. As such, they can question potential hires about past job experiences, current employment, or even active job opportunities. Ultimately, the divulging of information falls upon the individual in question. Kinda ****ed but falls under "Know your rights."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:30:38 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
2:

Welcome to marketing.

I'm actually having more fun watching this show more than I should. I admit, I'm partial to this show because of the whole tourism thing. Plus, this episode is surprisingly enriching. Being forced with an impossible task (happens all the time). Understanding the market (Sakura's logical train of thought delights me). Online marketing (trust me, Japan sucks at this). Expiry dates (a lot of Japanese souvenirs are guilty short expiry dates that are mostly for boosting sales turnover).

But the one topic that struck me is the 'Big City' syndrome. I cannot personally relate to this but I've read and known people who have experienced this. People have always gone to the big city starry-eyed but come back disillusioned. True, big cities mean more opportunities but it also means more competition and people, and then dissatisfaction will entail. In the end, what's important is understanding what you want, and Sakura clearly doesn't understand (she can't even answer the question on what she is looking forward to properly). Well, I guess that's what naive youth is about.

This show is fluffy but I am enjoying it. I like the characters (especially Mysterious Harmonica Player... who are you??) a lot. Even listening to the OP and ED brightens up my day...

...wait. how did the courier fit a thousand boxes into that truck...?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:06:17 PM »
...wait. how did the courier fit a thousand boxes into that truck...?

Not a thousand big boxes, but a thousand boxes of manju.  Judging by the manju box sizes, you could probably get about 20 per big box, which means it was just about 50 big boxes in the truck, which is what it looked like was piled there at the tourist office.  Easily doable for a medium sized delivery truck.

2:

Soooooo... I'm just going to get this out of the way, because you know some asshole with a progressive mindset is going to mention it somewhere in the blogosphere or on Twitter, but PA Works seems to be going for creating true "feminist" shows.  It was prominent in Shirobako, to a point, that the female characters were all strong characters who were capable and took the lead on things, and the same is happening here.  I hate the supposed "requirements" for what makes something a feminist show, because it seems to me that people who have such requirements are probably the kinds of people who will never be satisfied by anything no matter what you do, so **** 'em.  If you think this show, like Shirobako, or My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, is a positive feminist type show, then more power to you.  It probably is!

Here's the thing, and why I am bringing this up:  whether this is a feminist show or not should not improve nor worsen the show as it stands.  Some assholes out there hate feminist crap, and might dismiss this because of that.  That's a fundamental flaw of their own idiocy.  A show can be good and be feminist; and you can enjoy it!  I'm no friend to feminism at all, in fact believing that modern feminism amounts of psychopathic bullshit, but I can still enjoy something that has a positive feminist outlook, because it doesn't bother me.  As long as it doesn't get preachy about it, or try to point how how progressive it is, then it isn't a pretentious work, and it can be enjoyed just for what it is.

The flip side is that some assholes will love this just because it is feminist, and those people are just as on my shit list as the above mentioned people.  I do not ****ing care if you think this is a feminist work and like it for that reason, but don't let that be your ONLY reason for liking it.  If the show is feminist, but crap, the show is still ****ing crap no matter how much it appeals to your idiotic ideals.  Feminism is not an automatic out for excuse makers to defend something.  Like I said above, you can enjoy the show without worrying about how friendly something is to that obnoxious Bechdel Test you think is the ultimate authority on whatever.

A work should be judged on the merits it presents as a piece of fiction with the same criteria as any other work presented to an audience.  The Godfather isn't a good mobster film, it isn't a good drama, it isn't a bad show for feminists, it is a good ****ing movie.  SHIROBAKO was a good anime by itself.  Whatever else you want to lump on it is your own business, but don't bother trying to convince me using whatever idiotic criteria you want to bring up, because I don't care and wont listen.  The same is true for Sakura Quest.  There appears to be an attempt here to try to make something that isn't just a good anime, and whether it meets those alternative goals or not is up to you, but I don't want to hear about them.

Anyway, carry on.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:19:55 PM »
I... I... I didn't even think feminism crossed my mind when watching this. People are tripping over stuff like that here?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 10:24:44 PM »
Here?  No, thank God, but it will get all over the twitterverse and the blogosphere.  Shirobako got it in droves, both from people defending it thinking it was feminist and progressive, and feminists who thought it wasn't feminist enough or not feminist at all.  It devolved into a bunch of parties talking over each other about whose shit didn't stink rather than be about a great anime.

This is more of a request not to let it come here, and for anybody who primarily twitterverses to maybe give a good long think about what they want to say about something before saying it.  I'm probably not going to influence anybody, but whatever.  It's worth a shot.

*EDIT*

I went back and looked over our SHIROBAKO discussions and it was brought up there (by KS no less) but virtually everybody else had not noticed it and the discussion ended rather quickly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:55:38 PM by TypicalIdiotFan »

Offline Gadget

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »
How about Cross Angle? Female MC kickass. And she force herself on him. Male MC was a wimp. Or works by CLAMP? I don't recall calling Cardcaptor Sakura was feminist? It's just people pick and choose. So if I enjoy a 6 year old girl kick butt, so we are pedophile?

I do get what AC is saying. The problem with these sort of anime is (MINE opinion) that are they really anime? It got a K-drama feel. Such story can be done by live actions and with good actress, they have the potential to be even better. Anime should be anime. Stuff like 3-gatsu no Lion would be hard to show what Rei is thinking, as an anime would be better. ACCA got 'cool' factors that would be difficult to do in real life. As for Rakugo, it was so well done that a life action would be difficult to match up. Maybe they get REAL Rakugo performers.

This was what I read
Anime studio P.A. Works announced the anime in December. The studio describes the anime as the third in P.A. Works' "working" series about people and their jobs, after Hana-Saku Iroha and Shirobako.
So why animeizs it? To get otakus.

This plot is interesting. Shirabako is only in Japan. But this can be transport to other society. Like in farmland America, country side town in China, to Kampong in Malaysia. All these societies are facing the dying of the country side.
For once, things did NOT work out by will power alone. This is reality. But I think Yoshino will fall in love with the village.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »
3:

Enriching.

I admire Sakura as a character. She's the typical earnest and sincere character albeit inexperienced... which is also typical. She learns from her mistakes and humble about things, yet she's not a pushover. I can only like such people. And on a side note, she doesn't realize that it's useless to ask people of a town such questions. They cannot answer specifically because they're part of the town (i.e. they're part of the problem); as an outsider, it's her perspective that matters the most at the end of the day.

If she is more experienced, she could've asked the more important questions. Why does that lady hate Ushimatsu so much (what's their story)? Why is Takamizawa still in this town for so many years, even since Sakura was a kid? Why does that kid vehemently think this town is 'crappy'? What's going between the committee and Ushimatsu when he decided to change from Kabura to Chupacabra? These are all clues to understanding the town, and Ushimatsu is right about one thing: you can't understand a town just by reading references.

And I STILL don't know what's the deal with Harmonica Player. What's *his* story.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »
1(again. vaguely...for real?):

It is just good entertainment.

But **** you with that "oh I've been here before"

2:

Manager-chan being a former(?) actress/personality was pretty obvious.
Is this two casual hikkikomori characters within the same fluffy narrative? The ****.
Random Aside(as though my posts are anything but): that tent assembly was very much true to life. As one who ever briefly began a party-tent company, the scene was pretty cool. 
Well whatever, the cast has assembled so we can start from here.
Population of 50,000? The **** are these people? Beyond their non-existent presence is the complete lack of housing. No ****ing way 50,000 people live in this shithole(I recently relocated from New York to Oregon and may be a but bitter)

I will say, the slight advanced age of the cast begs intrigue.

3:

Wouldn't it have been easier, and more effective, for MC, as a cute girl, playing the role of Queen, to participate in this Mascot-off directly? Oh Shit. They went and did. Them new age ideas. Clearly very much a allegory for modern Japan. Im so smart for saying such in regards to episode one.

Is Riri not underage? While Whatsherface(Shiori?) said they were childhood friends I just assumed that Riri was a high schooler
Well anyway, the distinguishing factor for this show is the cast of 20something year olds.
I hope they use it.

I'll be here so long as Manager-chan remains adorable.
the **** is with persistent Bard-kun
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:08:09 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 11:16:21 PM »
They did the early 20-somethings with Shirobako, too, and it worked really well.  PA Works is ahead of the curve on realizing that young women are still interesting despite not wearing seifuku 24/7.  I wish they'd eventually get this way with male characters, too.  High school kids are ****ing boring and the setting is played out so hard.  College age and beyond is where adult life begins, which is where a person's life becomes interesting.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:00:12 PM »
You're telling me. Nodame and Honey and Clover not only remain 2 of my favorites but two of the few anime set within a college environment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up