Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 02:25:33 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice & Zoroku  (Read 1406 times)

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Alice & Zoroku
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »
6:

I don't know what is worse, a recap episode or a non sequitur episode with live action interviews.  Either way, this week is a loss for us all.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 10:22:10 PM »
Wait, that was for real? Not a spoof? 

I suppose it's fine as a DVD/BD bonus track or a YouTube behind-the-scenes vignette. But to skip a full episode during the initial run and instead just sit on a couch and talk about the show?  That is so unprofessional.  Shame on you, J.C. Staff (especially after only 5 eps).

Edit: Oops, I bailed too early. There is animated recap further in, then some talk about future stuff that is really confusing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:23:50 AM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
The real 6

Nothing happens, except it over load your senses with sweetness and cuteness. And a bit of gruff from you know who.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
7:

Obviously this episode was about Sana's developing humanity and her lack of understanding of emotions, which is a just fine thing to focus on going forward.  Obviously, the "errors" problem will become the thing that defines the second arc, and most likely will end in tragedy.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »
8-11:

I got behind on this one and I'm sorry I did, because this second half has been rather impressive.  I had forgotten about Sana's powers breaking randomly at times, and for a while it wasn't part of the show either.  By the point 11 hits, it dawns on me that the reason her powers were going haywire was because of the weird contradiction that results from Ha-chan using hers.  For some reason, the two girls' powers counter-act each other, like a form of matter and anti-matter.  They don't have any way to affect each other, but by having the ability to cancel each other out, they're actually making things worse.  Or better.  I'm not sure which yet.

I like how Sana has kept up her relatively naive, inexperienced, and extremely childish points of view on everything.  This whole second arc could have been handled in about five minutes of a good discussion if Sana wasn't the way she is.  But she is the way she is, and so the consistency of her character makes this all work.  The problem with other shows that have easily resolved misunderstandings is that you know, based on watching the show, that the characters are all rational, sane, logical, beings and perfectly capable of resolving these things like adults.  Sana is not any of that, and is barely even human to begin with, so her personality keeps things from being easily taken care of.  It works here because it is well established that this is just how she is.  She arguably makes things worse before making them better because of her naive nature.  She'll eventually get there, and that's what this whole arc has been, a slow churn of understanding starting to come to fruition by two girls who couldn't be any less alike and whose powers cause mayhem in Wonderland itself.

So Sana's power issues were all related to Ha-chan's powers, or so it seems.  I'm still not sure if that's what was causing her mishaps or if she was just so "moja-moja suru" that it made her abilities go wonky.  Either way, they're stuck in Wonderland until something happens.  Since they've reached a resolution to their issues at the end of 11, and they're still stuck, we can rule that out.  Wonderland itself must be looking for something in these two girls interacting,

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 02:25:19 AM »
12 (FINAL):

After the first half was an almost typical, bombastic, action and intrigue super powers show, the second half is about as polar opposite as it could.  While the first half was overt, the second half was a lot more subdued.  It is like watching a season of X-men then a season of Flying Witch, but they were the same show.  It isn't like the second half got too slice of lifey, but it sure wasn't as deliberate as the first half.  Frankly, both halves are a mess individually, so together they're much more odd, but overall it wasn't bad.  I think my only real issue with the second half was the ending of this episode, which hinted at a future for Sana that I really really really want to ****ing see.  Arguably that literal last minute teaser was mean.  I want to see Sana grow up now.  I want to see Sana become something other than a naive creation of a naive entity.  I want to see how much Zoroku changes her.  I want to cry bitch tears when she inevitably has to say goodbye to the elderly father figure.  That would have been interesting!

But, alas, the show is fine the way it is, but it sure is bewildering.  There are many things that happen, are resolved, and then forgotten about as if they never did.  The one kid from the research facility is hinted at possibly being a powerful Dream of Alice, yet he does literally nothing and is forgotten about after the research facility is shut down.  The two twins come back around, but the other kid disappears and is never heard from again.  What happened to Minne C?  What about the head research guy?  What was up with Zoroku's past?  Or did he ever have one and that was just a red herring?  What was with Sanae being talked about as never being around initially when she's around all the damn time?  What happened to Sanae's parents (one of which was Zoroku's child)?  Why was Sana having issues with her powers?  How'd that get resolved?  What the **** is Wonderland?  How did it get here?  What is this shit about it expanding into our world?

Anyway, if the show was intended to just be a cute little Usagi Drop like show about a young naive girl finding a mentor and parent in a grumpy old man I would have probably liked it just fine, and these aspects of Alice and Zoroku work just fine.  The other stuff, though, just gets muddled and weird.  Sana having issues with her powers is fine, and that could be something explored and help her fish out of water story even more believable, but they don't spend much time on it.  The second half story with Hattori and Ayumu is fine, actually, as something you'd see towards the end of a series, but right here as the second half of a one cour show, it seems early.

Show is fine, but it isn't amazing.  5/10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up