Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 01:26:04 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gundam  (Read 275 times)

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gundam
« on: December 31, 2016, 05:07:55 AM »
2 questions.

1) Why should I watch Neon Genesis Evangelion? I've never watched it because I HATE shows with wimpy whiny main characters who I can't like. I don't mind MC's who are wimpy and sometimes annoying, but we still love and relate to them. But Shinji Akari doesn't sound like that. So can anyone give me another reason for watching the show that's unique to the anime (a.k.a. NOT "great soundtrack", "awesome action", "stunning visuals"... any anime can have that. Aldnoah.Zero had that.... *shiver*)

2) Gundam... Where do I start? I think I might have asked this a while ago, but since I'm lazy and I'm already asking about Evangelion, might as well mention it here.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gundam
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:27:38 AM »
1).  Because underneath all of the original TV series was the soul of a man who was in a very dark place.  Anno put all of his depression, sorrow, and loneliness into Eva as a stand-in of his own psyche.  It isn't surprising that Shinji is such an unlikable character, as he represents all the negativity that humans feel at any given time and since Anno's situation wasn't getting any better, neither did Shinji.  It is, therefore, interesting to watch the Rebuild movies where Anno is in a much more successful, better place mentally, as the character of Shinji likewise experiences an almost uplifting mental boost.  Eva is, at its core, a fantastic mecha series, but that is just a window dressing for an exploration of the human condition and it does it well.  There's enough Hebrew and Judeo-Christian symbolism to also tickle your curiosity of the Kabbalah and so on and so forth.  Also, the characters are not shallow, single dimensional cut-outs, but people with depth.  It has earned its praise, but do beware that it is kind of dated now.

2). As for Gundam, don't bother, go watch Macross instead.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gundam
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:41:01 AM »
Speaking as a Gundam fan, I would say with the original, though how you go about it would depend on how much tolerance you have for 70s sci-fi anime cheese. It's been some years since I've seen the original, but from a storytelling standpoint I believe it still holds up. The compilation movies are probably easier to stomach in terms of time and conventions of the time, but personally I prefer the TV. Now having said that, if you wan't to start the franchise, I say skip the anime for now and read The Origin. It's by far the best interpretation of First Gundam period.

After that, watch Gundam 0080 and Zeta Gundam since they're two of the most solid entries in the franchise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up