Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 05:04:01 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Granblue Fantasy The Animation  (Read 457 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Granblue Fantasy The Animation
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:07:46 AM »
1-2:

One hour special preview thingy, wherein the real series launches in April.  Seems like every other fantasy RPG based story I've ever seen, so there's nothing all that special about it, but just like with Tales of Zesteria, A-1 pictures does a marvelous job making it seem much more significant than it is.  On the upside, the music, parts of which are done by the legendary Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series) is top notch, and the OP and ED are both good too (love me some Bump of Chicken), and the fantasy aspects are in full effect for whatever gains you get or don't from it.  Wasn't impressed with the overall animation only because it looked like a really badly digital upscale, which might have been Crunchyroll's fault, but I can get past that.

Anyway, wont happen for a few months yet, so preview if you like, or ignore until we get there.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Gadget

Re: Granblue Fantasy The Animation
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:24:47 AM »
I watch 2 episodes, than announced it was a preview. So far, it looks bland.

Typical app fantasy that made into an animation. It's from Cygames. I think it's Final Fantasy Lite. I feel it stays in the 'safe' zone. With a touch of FF, Rage of Bahamut, and Twin Star Exorcist. Tales of.... is also bland, but the music and the CGI gave a grand feel. MC feels like stock character.

How I missed Kaiser shouting FFAAVVAARROO!!!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:05:39 AM »
8:

Has been mostly cookie cutter, by the numbers JRPG levels of fantasy anime so far, so there hasn't been much to say.  This episode, however, was a filler episode, and was easily the best one of the bunch.  Indiana Jones references, Lyria's magical hair, and an excuse for someone to take the Space Jam theme and remix it with BUMP OF CHICKEN'S op.

In other words, silliness.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
1-8
It's just bland. Tales of Zestiria was bland, but at least it has epic BGM and nice CGI artwork.

I'm wondering are they using the success of Rage of Bahamut as both mobile apps games were develop by Cygames. What's next? Shadowverse

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:29:49 PM »
Yeah, what the producers here don't understand is that the game mechanics and whatever weren't what people liked about Bahamut.  It was the characters, the oh so loveable frenetic characters and the slapdash way things came and went that made it so charming.  Virgin Soul is doing similar things.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:23:04 AM »
I'm usually a week behind on this one, since I'm watching it through AnimeLab and I'm a lowly free member.  I think it was alright up until they got to Valtz.  Then I could see the game beats being played out, there's the quest giver, it was a trap! etc.  It became all very obvious, and the Colossus fight was really let down by some seriously lacklustre sound design.  None of those big spells sounded like they had any oomph behind them.

Though I did like the poke at the omnipresent main story quest giver.  I kind of hope they continue having Sierokarte just popping up, like there's a network of Sierokartes handing out quests.  Still, if they go with the video gamey feel about it, then it'll probably get pretty boring.

I also really like the ED, but you think I can find a full version anywhere on YT?  Sony's been handing out DMCA's like candy on it (that is, one that hasn't been pitched up and distorted to get by the copyright bots).

Edit:  I should probably clarify by adding 'without having an official release themselves.'  Not even Animelab, who is Madman's streaming site and the official distributor in Australia has it on their YT page, not even the anime cut.  They've got the Bump of Chicken song though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:26:06 PM by Major Tom »

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:31:31 AM »
Finally got to the end of this. Overall, it's a fairly competent science-fantasy that's by the numbers. Episode 12 was a character dump, I'm pretty sure players of the game were going 'oh, that's so and so, and whoseawhatsit!' whereas I'm going 'who are you?' Fortunately they are of no consequence to the story. not too bad, probably a decent example of the genre if you stop at episode 12.

However, the final episode I simply did not get. They decided to do a swimsuit episode, but they quickly recap the entire show starting from when Lyria met Djeeta, which I gather is female version of the main player character. Really broke the flow. If I were to be cynical, it sounds like Cygames sent an order from on high that Djeeta must make an appearance, so A-1 dumped in a completely non-sequitur fanservice filler episode to fulfil the order.

If this gets picked up for a second season, I'm pretty sure they'll pick up from where ep.12 left off, though it would be quite an epic troll if they decided to go with the Djeeta line from here on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up