Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:09:22 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Witch Academia  (Read 5583 times)

Offline SQA

Re: Little Witch Academia
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »
Considering they had no one who could read Dragonese and had to rely on a kid who learned it in her spare time to find out they were being stiffed for centuries, I'm going with the staff being blithering idiots.  Luna Nova seems to be running alone solely on prestige and reputation, rather than the quality of the education at the academy.

Old, ossified and status prone, but they happened to be sitting on a rock with power.  Anyone else get what the shot is at?  ;D

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 12:08:10 AM »
That a shot at the Skeksis?  Man, the Dark Crystal was such a good movie.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 05:47:24 AM »
Now I have images of Fizgig and his walking mouth howling at being left behind.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
7:

Fabulous, glorious episode. This is the full potential of the premise, realized. Every character contributed, previous plotlines culminated and came into play, the humor was hilarious, the art style was on-point, and I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. Just a flying success on every level, bravo Trigger.

Having said all that, this episode, even more than the previous, demonstrates how absurd the notion of magic being outdated is. Lotte fixes that boot by magic in seconds, and people criticize it as outdated? Please, prove me wrong. Do a better, faster job fixing that boot without magic. I'll wait.

EDIT: Let me add some more on Akko's character.

The way Akko handles hazing and failure is both good and bad. She doesn't take things personally or hold grudges, and that's admirable, but part of it is rooted in denial. To some extent, the reason she's able to shrug off all the teasing, as well as her own mediocrity, is that the truth of it just doesn't register. Ultimately, I find this trait quite realistic for a girl Akko's age, and it's also easy to take advantage of to create character growth. Smart writing.

I'm also very pleased to see that Akko's transformation magic will be developed. I called attention to it last week, and I'm hoping that this was something the writers intended (but again, the 'magic is too old' nonsense...). It's very fitting after all, because in a figurative sense, what Akko wants more than anything is to transform herself. It's great to see that, building upon the previous episode, Akko is finally willing to work for this. Can't wait to see what happens next.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:09:52 AM by Marid King »
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
7:

Fabulous, glorious episode. This is the full potential of the premise, realized. Every character contributed, previous plotlines culminated and came into play, the humor was hilarious, the art style was on-point, and I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. Just a flying success on every level, bravo Trigger.

Having said all that, this episode, even more than the previous, demonstrates how absurd the notion of magic being outdated is. Lotte fixes that boot by magic in seconds, and people criticize it as outdated? Please, prove me wrong. Do a better, faster job fixing that boot without magic. I'll wait.

EDIT: Let me add some more on Akko's character.

The way Akko handles hazing and failure is both good and bad. She doesn't take things personally or hold grudges, and that's admirable, but part of it is rooted in denial. To some extent, the reason she's able to shrug off all the teasing, as well as her own mediocrity, is that the truth of it just doesn't register. Ultimately, I find this trait quite realistic for a girl Akko's age, and it's also easy to take advantage of to create character growth. Smart writing.

I'm also very pleased to see that Akko's transformation magic will be developed. I called attention to it last week, and I'm hoping that this was something the writers intended (but again, the 'magic is too old' nonsense...). It's very fitting after all, because in a figurative sense, what Akko wants more than anything is to transform herself. It's great to see that, building upon the previous episode, Akko is finally willing to work for this. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Man you're really riding this show.

And I agree wholeheartedly.

This episode really captured the "magic" of the premise. With regards to character I would say this was an episode for Ursula-sensei. From what we have seen, she was a shy awkward girl whilst attending Luna Nova and it was her relationship with Chariot that allowed her to gain some semblance of self-confidence and acheive what she has thus far. Meaning, Chariot's influence is what inspired her to become a teacher; she wants to do for others what Chariot did for her. But, whether it be a shortcoming of her personality or, more narratively appropriate, a response to the disappearance of Chariot, she lost her newly found self along the way. Now with Akko, very much being the new Chariot, Ursula-sensei is rediscovering herself and her initial convictions allowing her to asset herself for both her own benefit as well as Akko's.

And yes, I still hate that both the faculty, as well as,  magic as a whole is apparently shit.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »
I though Ursula is Chariot.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 11:22:28 PM »
Well that's news to me.

I thought they were both shown in a photo having previously won the broom race.

Spoiler for :

I assumed the girl on the left was young Ursula

Offline Marid King

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 01:42:35 AM »
...bruh

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
Well damn. Here I was liking Ursula, as Ursula, like a damn schmuck. It happens. I guess I'll have to go back and see what I missed. 

Offline SQA

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 03:59:19 AM »
Ep 6 made it clear with the Hair transformation in one scene.  Though I thought it was pretty clear in ep 1 who Chariot is.

Watched 6 & 7 together, as I was behind.  A former Gainax staff putting bunny ears on a girl?  Saw that one coming from a mile away, haha.  Nice touch on the donkey ears + tail for the son of a powerful man.  And I did kind of like the "no easy mode" direction.

Ep 7 was a lot of fun, as, for the first time in a while, a character actually had to work and it didn't just turn into a training montage which worked.  There were ups & downs, then Akko being a tad... well, Akko.  I love that she got through the entire first semester without realizing the fish was the teacher.  (How'd she end up in that class, anyway?) 

The interesting part is that, except for flying, Akko actually can perform the other Magic; it just doesn't go as planned.  She also have a good tendency to make the reactions explosive, which I hope is them foreshadowing her future role as a Demolitions expert with magic. :)

Offline Gadget

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 07:05:36 AM »
A mix of Little Witch Academia + Inception  + Loony Tunes + End Of  Evangelion + Sleeping Beauty. Nothing much happen. But a madcap adventure of fun.

By the way, Happy Birthday to Michiyo Murase (Feb 28). The VA for Sucy Manbavaran.

Edit
While looking up Wikipedia, I realise that Trigger got away with stereotyping various nationality and got away with it. So pollitically incorrect. ::)

Atsuko Kagari  - Japanese. Typical genki (energetic), good heart and willing to help others Japanese. A bit dumb.
Lotte Jansson -Finnish. Soft spoken and caring.
Sucy Manbavaran- Indian. Mysterious and possible secret plot.
Diana Cavendish-Bristish. Prim and proper. And arrogant.
Amanda O'Neill-USA. Rebellious with a love for speed. And the skills to back it up.
Constanze Amalie von Braunschbank Albrechtsberger-German. Mechanical and science genius.
Jasminka Antonenko-Russian. Friendly, laied back, homely and a passion for food.
Hannah and Barbara. Not sure where are they form. But I'm sure Trigger is poking fun at a former cartoon company call Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:31:06 AM by Gadget »

Offline Marid King

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
8:

Another home run. Beyond the hilarity and endless references, they still managed to sneak in character development for Akko and Sucy, which I always appreciate.

The real questions this week concern what actually happened. How much of that was real? Who was Nice Sucy? I figured the way her thing was never revealed, plus how small and shy she was, meant she was 'the Sucy that likes Akko', something Sucy won't admit to herself. But if so, why'd she mutate into a giant monster?

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
Nice Sucy was the Sucy that just wants to see the world burn......

That was episode was hilarious, I loved it.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
9:

Bit of a meh episode, so let me just comment on one thing.

COMPLETE MAGICAL AMATEURS CAN REVIVE/COMMUNICATE WITH THE DEAD, AND YOU'RE STILL TRYING TO TELL ME MAGIC IS OBSOLETE.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

COMPLETE MAGICAL AMATEURS CAN REVIVE/COMMUNICATE WITH THE DEAD, AND YOU'RE STILL TRYING TO TELL ME MAGIC IS OBSOLETE.
for an afternoon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Up