Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 15, 2017, 06:26:19 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Witch Academia  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Little Witch Academia
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 05:03:34 AM »
Thinking back to the first episode, I kind of think it would have been funnier if the creature Sucy attracted was literally just a giant chicken instead of a cockatrice.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »
errrrr....
Isn't Nightfall name of the short story by Issac Asimov? When did it became a Twilight Saga for little witches. For a moment, I though Tanya made a camo as Annabel.

Akko tone down a bit. A simple story. But it was nice.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »
I really enjoyed that episode, I thought it was very amusing.  Poking fun at Twilight, a sneaky Gendo, the trio getting into trouble again (it was probably Sucy's idea.  I'm pretty sure she is the mastermind behind most of the gang's misadventures.  Akko's enabler at the very least).

I'm guessing Diana's clique each have something lowbrow and uncouth they love but are ashamed to share in school.  I was thinking that Diana was in the suit, but by the end I think the odds are greatbigben810 is the green haired teacher Akko mouthed off at in the beginning.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 01:10:58 AM »
5:

Haven't had this much fun watching anime in a while. I loved that crotchety old dragon.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
Urrr....Science trump magic?

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
5:

Oh look. The adults are incompetent and Diana is the ONLY one who can save them while Akko is the ONLY one(that Drampa has encountered) to have had a genuine dream in centuries. **** me. I suppose they established that the magical world is in decline but this is still Hogwarts correct? Until proven otherwise, this is the only magical academy in the world. Get some better ****ing staff. And if it is later revealed that this school is actually shit, than why the **** is little miss 1500 year legacy enrolled here?

1-5:

Sheesh, and we dogged Mahou Sensou for its parallels to Harry Potter.

I love pretty much everything about this series.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
That's exactly it. If enrollment is down 90% like they say, then this probably IS the only magic academy, the only place teachers can find employment, and the only place Diana can go. Nobody wants to teach magic, so the staff are all old-timers except Chariot. It's treated lightly, but everything about magic seems to be on the decline. 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 10:29:50 PM »
Sheesh, and we dogged Mahou Sensou for its parallels to Harry Potter.

I dogged it because it ****ing sucked.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Online SQA

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 04:55:28 AM »
So, yeah, I wasn't quite expecting accurate Charts to pop up.  And with 25 screens!  Someone clearly knows a daytrader.  They're the ones that really go nuts with the monitors. 

As for the series, it's quite enjoyable.  Diana is clearly our humanized Sasuke.  Akko is Naruto.  But they're clearly playing with the tropes in Japanese take on Harry Potter.  It provides a consistent watch, which is something of a rarity in Anime.  Though it's definitely got a Western-appeal vibe.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
Diana is somewhat interesting in that she's just better than Akko. She's super talented, but she's also (mostly) humble, benevolent, and reasonable. Akko is more likely to be arrogant and stubborn; all she really has going for her is 'the power of the heart', whatever form that ends up taking. I'm still waiting on some kind of character development to give any semblance of parity between the two.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 09:34:28 PM »
6:

Don't get me wrong, this episode was fabulous, and I loved every second of it. Akko finally having some growth, a little light shed on Diana's past, and a lot on Chariot's; all of this was engrossing, and the humor was on-point (will Diana and Akko compete for the wonderful Andrew's affections? Kyaaaaaaa!!).

But there's something I need cleared up ASAP. They continue to play up this 'magic is obsolete' business. Magic vs. technology, old vs. new is a classic conflict to explore. Yet I've never seen the conflict so one-sided before. The technology in Little Witch Academia looks roughly modern, in some places older. Meanwhile in the world of magic, Akko can grow sensate ears by accident. We're slaving away trying to 3D print organs, when it seems like a competent witch could magic one up without thinking. The dragon had automated guards that could understand and execute complex commands. There are ginormous, deadly magical creatures running amok, like the cockatrice, which can easily be dealt with using magic. This is not even scratching the surface. Magic in this universe seems to have near-limitless potential, but is treated as if it's some quaint party trick. Either there's some huge restriction I'm not seeing, they're running out of magical energy worldwide, or everyone claiming magic sucks is more of a blithering idiot than Akko. Including the writers.   

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 03:19:20 AM »
It could be that the world of magic (and the staff of Luna Nova in particular) refuses to move on and catch up with the times.  Hanbridge did call them traditionalists and Luna Nova appears to be in its own pocket dimension, somewhat detached from what's going outside.  If all the other magic academies were as traditionalist as Luna Nova, and also sited in their own little bubbles then they may have just let the outside world pass them by.  The end result being that there wasn't anything magic had to offer anymore.  There might be things that magic could do that science can't, and keep themselves relevant if they only bothered to try.  But the old ways are best, damn whatever the evidence says.

I'm thinking that what Shiny Chariot was trying to do was drag magic into the future.  But she failed, earned the enmity of the traditionalists in charge and had to 'disappear'.  Becoming Professor Ursula  may be her backup plan, but also possibly her way of hiding from her failure

Offline Gadget

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »
(Magic + science and technology) x prayer to God =  Youjo Senki. Which I think is more practical.

The Magic vs Science has been stuff for fantasy and science fiction writers for years. It rangers from The Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson to stories by Piers Anthony and Allen Dean Foster. Magic is the background for Akko to believe in her dreams. Science is the antagonist in the story. (Name one villain.)

One thing I notice about Diana is that she lack passion. Something must have happen in her childhood. Like was she ridicule until she got iron control over her passion. Akko is the opposite. She lack talent, but have great passion. Even that stock trader dragon acknowledge that dream and passion are lacking in the students of Luna Nova. So it's going to be passion vs talent.

And as for Shiny Chariot, it seems she was a dunce as a student. So Akko realize that Shiny has to work hard to be good.  And I think the magic the Fountain of Polaris bestow on Akko is the magic of hope.

The visit is going to set the plot for Akko, Diana and maybe Andrew to save Luna Nova and make people believe in magic.

It's episode 6. Please, learn to fly on a broom.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
@Major Tom

That would fall under the stuff I was talking about. First of all, if they are actually so traditional that they lost decades or centuries of progress to stagnation, then they are blithering idiots. But even if that's the case, it still makes no sense for non-witches to look down upon magic, because the traditional things they are doing right now are better than what science offers, as I explained. Out of all the doctors in the world, NONE are healing wounds or treating diseases with magic? No businessmen are using magic to speed up production in their factories? No governments want magical automata for guards and soldiers?

Magic in this universe doesn't need to harness untapped potential to be of value relative to science; it is already very valuable. Hence my confusion.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »
Considering they had no one who could read Dragonese and had to rely on a kid who learned it in her spare time to find out they were being stiffed for centuries, I'm going with the staff being blithering idiots.  Luna Nova seems to be running alone solely on prestige and reputation, rather than the quality of the education at the academy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All   Go Up