Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 12:28:46 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Witch Academia  (Read 5592 times)

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Little Witch Academia
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »
1:

Well, for now this is a prequel, but we should be around wherever the 1st OVA took place at the moment. Off to a perfectly reasonable start I must say. Re-doing the scene with Shiny Chariot wasn't even something that had to be done but I'm happy they did anyway.

Let me be the 1st to say that Sucy is a goddamn monster nearly murdering those two like that. The school seems pretty awful when it comes to handling these new muggles. No instructions on how to utilize the Leyland, no mailed-in required objects given, nothing. And Akko is going to be on the same learning curve as witches that presumably have had experience with magic for much of their life. Anti-muggle sentiments are going to make things any easier.

Teach is likely Shiny Chariot btw

Would you look at that? On the right side of the pamphlet they foreshadowed what would transpire later in the episode. Heh.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:39:58 PM by gedata »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Little Witch Academia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »
1:

I can't remember all the details from the OVA, but it seems to me they've captured the same wide-eyed, fairy-tale atmosphere. The show makes the wise decision to focus on a handful of characters and magic itself, before bringing the school and everyone else into the picture. This show isn't going to go very far off of the audience's sense of wonder alone.

Cautiously optimistic.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:44:22 AM »
Another sweet anime. I feel is like renegades from Studio Ghibli defected to Disney Studios. The BGM and style has a bit of 50's Disney. With a touch of current Japanese anime with a dash of Ghibli.

It's a story of a good hearted and clumsy loser became the reason people starts believing in themselves. Even Diana, who was  arrogant, but NOT A EVIL BITCH person, that will be Akko's friend. That is so recycled.  Like Disney and Ghibli, they added small touches that added color to the story, like Saucy makes a plant grows out of Akko's head.

It's how they string the story together. Although everything is clique, it's nice clique. No doe eyes girls. No hentai issues. Keep doing this.

And it's so obvious that Professor Ursula is Shiny Chariot. (I did some looking up. Prof Ursula VA is the voice of the Dominator in Psycho Pass?!)

Offline Marid King

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
2:

I really, really like that Diana is a bit stuck-up, but ultimately a benevolent character. Like some silly child, it gives me hope that at the end of the day, everyone will be friends.

I'm trying to get an idea of what the overall story arc is going to be, because this is a 25 episode show. Maybe Akko passes her first year and becomes a competent witch?

Offline SQA

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:46 AM »
I wonder if they're going to retell either of the OVAs.   The setup is pretty straight forward: it's a Japanese take on the Harry Potter approach to a magic kids' story.  Just with Trigger's physical comedy added in.  Akko is your standard plucky Naruto-clone, with some hidden talent.  So, most of the approach is going to be pretty by the numbers, which is fine.  What made the OVAs work is physical comedy and just a nutty world, along with some solid writing & voice work.   

Looking back over the first OVA, it's set maybe a few weeks into the semester, but Akko gets the Shiny Rod half way through the OVA, not at the start.  This probably suggests they're going to retell the OVA in a few episodes.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 06:23:21 AM »
I haven't seen the OVA, but I've enjoyed these first two episodes so far.  Really digging the art style, and it does have that wonderous feel about it.  I do hope Sucy does keep up with pranks, and Akko continues to not notice them.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »
Wasn't the OVA cloud funded? If they deviate from the OVA, how would the backers on kickstarter feels?

Offline gedata

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
I wonder if they're going to retell either of the OVAs.   The setup is pretty straight forward: it's a Japanese take on the Harry Potter approach to a magic kids' story.

The OVAs are pretty self-contained adventures so I don't see any reason for retconning. I think they'll just be events that we fans recognize as having taken place somewhere within the timeline but not actually acknowledged by the series.

Offline SQA

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
Wasn't the OVA cloud funded? If they deviate from the OVA, how would the backers on kickstarter feels?

The first OVA was actually one of the Anime Mirai projects.  The 2nd OVA was the crowd funded one, and it was fine.  The formula isn't to reinvent the wheel, but simply to do a fairly standard take on Western fantasy with Japanese thought.  And make it fun.  Which is something I'll give Trigger, as that is something they clearly favor.  (Go go Gainax DNA.)

I'd hold off on watching the OVA until we get a few more episodes in, if you haven't seen it.  Though the characters are for all intents & purposes the same, so don't expect anything really different.  And, yes, Susy is damn awesome. 

There's also some deep irony that Shiny Chariot is pretty much a stand-in for any Japanese that make it big outside of Japan, yet it was the non-Japanese fans that funded the second OVA and pretty much helped get this series made.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 03:38:06 AM »
I watched them today.  Sucy became my favourite character very quickly.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »
Another sweet anime. I feel is like renegades from Studio Ghibli defected to Disney Studios. The BGM and style has a bit of 50's Disney. With a touch of current Japanese anime with a dash of Ghibli.

Just throw in Loony Tunes as well. Akko moroness is becoming an embarrassment. I find her cross the line from cute and stupid to totally stupid. And that broom was a rocket sledge.

Diana is still a nice girl at heart.

Saucy is THE one. And she got a venous heart to go along with it. Good thing Saucy is Akko's friend.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
3:

I'm starting to wonder if Sucy happens to be nearly as talented as Diana.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
I would agree that if they have Akko going full bore every episode, then it's going to get more than a little grating.  They're going to need some chill episodes to balance out Akko's...passion.  Though I am glad that Akko didn't win the race or get the super broom, hopefully she learns a bit of patience.  I can't even begin to imagine how utterly unbearable she would be if she got both.

Now that we have all the original cast members introduced with Amanda, Jasminka and Constanze (and her amazing motor-broom) appearing, maybe we'll start following the Shiny Chariot thread?

Offline gedata

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »
3:

Hooray for cheating!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 05:57:57 AM »
3:

Hooray for cheating!

You mean sabotage the other racers' broom.
Have a false trail.
Having the bait looks like the baton/bangle?
Modifying your broom during competition.
Not flying but by hopping.
Swapping your broom in mid competition.
Using a nitro powered broom.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 05:03:34 AM »
Thinking back to the first episode, I kind of think it would have been funnier if the creature Sucy attracted was literally just a giant chicken instead of a cockatrice.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »
errrrr....
Isn't Nightfall name of the short story by Issac Asimov? When did it became a Twilight Saga for little witches. For a moment, I though Tanya made a camo as Annabel.

Akko tone down a bit. A simple story. But it was nice.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »
I really enjoyed that episode, I thought it was very amusing.  Poking fun at Twilight, a sneaky Gendo, the trio getting into trouble again (it was probably Sucy's idea.  I'm pretty sure she is the mastermind behind most of the gang's misadventures.  Akko's enabler at the very least).

I'm guessing Diana's clique each have something lowbrow and uncouth they love but are ashamed to share in school.  I was thinking that Diana was in the suit, but by the end I think the odds are greatbigben810 is the green haired teacher Akko mouthed off at in the beginning.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 01:10:58 AM »
5:

Haven't had this much fun watching anime in a while. I loved that crotchety old dragon.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
Urrr....Science trump magic?

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
5:

Oh look. The adults are incompetent and Diana is the ONLY one who can save them while Akko is the ONLY one(that Drampa has encountered) to have had a genuine dream in centuries. **** me. I suppose they established that the magical world is in decline but this is still Hogwarts correct? Until proven otherwise, this is the only magical academy in the world. Get some better ****ing staff. And if it is later revealed that this school is actually shit, than why the **** is little miss 1500 year legacy enrolled here?

1-5:

Sheesh, and we dogged Mahou Sensou for its parallels to Harry Potter.

I love pretty much everything about this series.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
That's exactly it. If enrollment is down 90% like they say, then this probably IS the only magic academy, the only place teachers can find employment, and the only place Diana can go. Nobody wants to teach magic, so the staff are all old-timers except Chariot. It's treated lightly, but everything about magic seems to be on the decline. 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 10:29:50 PM »
Sheesh, and we dogged Mahou Sensou for its parallels to Harry Potter.

I dogged it because it ****ing sucked.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 04:55:28 AM »
So, yeah, I wasn't quite expecting accurate Charts to pop up.  And with 25 screens!  Someone clearly knows a daytrader.  They're the ones that really go nuts with the monitors. 

As for the series, it's quite enjoyable.  Diana is clearly our humanized Sasuke.  Akko is Naruto.  But they're clearly playing with the tropes in Japanese take on Harry Potter.  It provides a consistent watch, which is something of a rarity in Anime.  Though it's definitely got a Western-appeal vibe.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
Diana is somewhat interesting in that she's just better than Akko. She's super talented, but she's also (mostly) humble, benevolent, and reasonable. Akko is more likely to be arrogant and stubborn; all she really has going for her is 'the power of the heart', whatever form that ends up taking. I'm still waiting on some kind of character development to give any semblance of parity between the two.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 09:34:28 PM »
6:

Don't get me wrong, this episode was fabulous, and I loved every second of it. Akko finally having some growth, a little light shed on Diana's past, and a lot on Chariot's; all of this was engrossing, and the humor was on-point (will Diana and Akko compete for the wonderful Andrew's affections? Kyaaaaaaa!!).

But there's something I need cleared up ASAP. They continue to play up this 'magic is obsolete' business. Magic vs. technology, old vs. new is a classic conflict to explore. Yet I've never seen the conflict so one-sided before. The technology in Little Witch Academia looks roughly modern, in some places older. Meanwhile in the world of magic, Akko can grow sensate ears by accident. We're slaving away trying to 3D print organs, when it seems like a competent witch could magic one up without thinking. The dragon had automated guards that could understand and execute complex commands. There are ginormous, deadly magical creatures running amok, like the cockatrice, which can easily be dealt with using magic. This is not even scratching the surface. Magic in this universe seems to have near-limitless potential, but is treated as if it's some quaint party trick. Either there's some huge restriction I'm not seeing, they're running out of magical energy worldwide, or everyone claiming magic sucks is more of a blithering idiot than Akko. Including the writers.   

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 03:19:20 AM »
It could be that the world of magic (and the staff of Luna Nova in particular) refuses to move on and catch up with the times.  Hanbridge did call them traditionalists and Luna Nova appears to be in its own pocket dimension, somewhat detached from what's going outside.  If all the other magic academies were as traditionalist as Luna Nova, and also sited in their own little bubbles then they may have just let the outside world pass them by.  The end result being that there wasn't anything magic had to offer anymore.  There might be things that magic could do that science can't, and keep themselves relevant if they only bothered to try.  But the old ways are best, damn whatever the evidence says.

I'm thinking that what Shiny Chariot was trying to do was drag magic into the future.  But she failed, earned the enmity of the traditionalists in charge and had to 'disappear'.  Becoming Professor Ursula  may be her backup plan, but also possibly her way of hiding from her failure

Offline Gadget

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »
(Magic + science and technology) x prayer to God =  Youjo Senki. Which I think is more practical.

The Magic vs Science has been stuff for fantasy and science fiction writers for years. It rangers from The Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson to stories by Piers Anthony and Allen Dean Foster. Magic is the background for Akko to believe in her dreams. Science is the antagonist in the story. (Name one villain.)

One thing I notice about Diana is that she lack passion. Something must have happen in her childhood. Like was she ridicule until she got iron control over her passion. Akko is the opposite. She lack talent, but have great passion. Even that stock trader dragon acknowledge that dream and passion are lacking in the students of Luna Nova. So it's going to be passion vs talent.

And as for Shiny Chariot, it seems she was a dunce as a student. So Akko realize that Shiny has to work hard to be good.  And I think the magic the Fountain of Polaris bestow on Akko is the magic of hope.

The visit is going to set the plot for Akko, Diana and maybe Andrew to save Luna Nova and make people believe in magic.

It's episode 6. Please, learn to fly on a broom.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
@Major Tom

That would fall under the stuff I was talking about. First of all, if they are actually so traditional that they lost decades or centuries of progress to stagnation, then they are blithering idiots. But even if that's the case, it still makes no sense for non-witches to look down upon magic, because the traditional things they are doing right now are better than what science offers, as I explained. Out of all the doctors in the world, NONE are healing wounds or treating diseases with magic? No businessmen are using magic to speed up production in their factories? No governments want magical automata for guards and soldiers?

Magic in this universe doesn't need to harness untapped potential to be of value relative to science; it is already very valuable. Hence my confusion.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »
Considering they had no one who could read Dragonese and had to rely on a kid who learned it in her spare time to find out they were being stiffed for centuries, I'm going with the staff being blithering idiots.  Luna Nova seems to be running alone solely on prestige and reputation, rather than the quality of the education at the academy.

Offline SQA

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »
Considering they had no one who could read Dragonese and had to rely on a kid who learned it in her spare time to find out they were being stiffed for centuries, I'm going with the staff being blithering idiots.  Luna Nova seems to be running alone solely on prestige and reputation, rather than the quality of the education at the academy.

Old, ossified and status prone, but they happened to be sitting on a rock with power.  Anyone else get what the shot is at?  ;D

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 12:08:10 AM »
That a shot at the Skeksis?  Man, the Dark Crystal was such a good movie.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 05:47:24 AM »
Now I have images of Fizgig and his walking mouth howling at being left behind.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
7:

Fabulous, glorious episode. This is the full potential of the premise, realized. Every character contributed, previous plotlines culminated and came into play, the humor was hilarious, the art style was on-point, and I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. Just a flying success on every level, bravo Trigger.

Having said all that, this episode, even more than the previous, demonstrates how absurd the notion of magic being outdated is. Lotte fixes that boot by magic in seconds, and people criticize it as outdated? Please, prove me wrong. Do a better, faster job fixing that boot without magic. I'll wait.

EDIT: Let me add some more on Akko's character.

The way Akko handles hazing and failure is both good and bad. She doesn't take things personally or hold grudges, and that's admirable, but part of it is rooted in denial. To some extent, the reason she's able to shrug off all the teasing, as well as her own mediocrity, is that the truth of it just doesn't register. Ultimately, I find this trait quite realistic for a girl Akko's age, and it's also easy to take advantage of to create character growth. Smart writing.

I'm also very pleased to see that Akko's transformation magic will be developed. I called attention to it last week, and I'm hoping that this was something the writers intended (but again, the 'magic is too old' nonsense...). It's very fitting after all, because in a figurative sense, what Akko wants more than anything is to transform herself. It's great to see that, building upon the previous episode, Akko is finally willing to work for this. Can't wait to see what happens next.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:09:52 AM by Marid King »

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
7:

Fabulous, glorious episode. This is the full potential of the premise, realized. Every character contributed, previous plotlines culminated and came into play, the humor was hilarious, the art style was on-point, and I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. Just a flying success on every level, bravo Trigger.

Having said all that, this episode, even more than the previous, demonstrates how absurd the notion of magic being outdated is. Lotte fixes that boot by magic in seconds, and people criticize it as outdated? Please, prove me wrong. Do a better, faster job fixing that boot without magic. I'll wait.

EDIT: Let me add some more on Akko's character.

The way Akko handles hazing and failure is both good and bad. She doesn't take things personally or hold grudges, and that's admirable, but part of it is rooted in denial. To some extent, the reason she's able to shrug off all the teasing, as well as her own mediocrity, is that the truth of it just doesn't register. Ultimately, I find this trait quite realistic for a girl Akko's age, and it's also easy to take advantage of to create character growth. Smart writing.

I'm also very pleased to see that Akko's transformation magic will be developed. I called attention to it last week, and I'm hoping that this was something the writers intended (but again, the 'magic is too old' nonsense...). It's very fitting after all, because in a figurative sense, what Akko wants more than anything is to transform herself. It's great to see that, building upon the previous episode, Akko is finally willing to work for this. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Man you're really riding this show.

And I agree wholeheartedly.

This episode really captured the "magic" of the premise. With regards to character I would say this was an episode for Ursula-sensei. From what we have seen, she was a shy awkward girl whilst attending Luna Nova and it was her relationship with Chariot that allowed her to gain some semblance of self-confidence and acheive what she has thus far. Meaning, Chariot's influence is what inspired her to become a teacher; she wants to do for others what Chariot did for her. But, whether it be a shortcoming of her personality or, more narratively appropriate, a response to the disappearance of Chariot, she lost her newly found self along the way. Now with Akko, very much being the new Chariot, Ursula-sensei is rediscovering herself and her initial convictions allowing her to asset herself for both her own benefit as well as Akko's.

And yes, I still hate that both the faculty, as well as,  magic as a whole is apparently shit.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »
I though Ursula is Chariot.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 11:22:28 PM »
Well that's news to me.

I thought they were both shown in a photo having previously won the broom race.

Spoiler for :

I assumed the girl on the left was young Ursula

Offline Marid King

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 01:42:35 AM »
...bruh

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
Well damn. Here I was liking Ursula, as Ursula, like a damn schmuck. It happens. I guess I'll have to go back and see what I missed. 

Offline SQA

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 03:59:19 AM »
Ep 6 made it clear with the Hair transformation in one scene.  Though I thought it was pretty clear in ep 1 who Chariot is.

Watched 6 & 7 together, as I was behind.  A former Gainax staff putting bunny ears on a girl?  Saw that one coming from a mile away, haha.  Nice touch on the donkey ears + tail for the son of a powerful man.  And I did kind of like the "no easy mode" direction.

Ep 7 was a lot of fun, as, for the first time in a while, a character actually had to work and it didn't just turn into a training montage which worked.  There were ups & downs, then Akko being a tad... well, Akko.  I love that she got through the entire first semester without realizing the fish was the teacher.  (How'd she end up in that class, anyway?) 

The interesting part is that, except for flying, Akko actually can perform the other Magic; it just doesn't go as planned.  She also have a good tendency to make the reactions explosive, which I hope is them foreshadowing her future role as a Demolitions expert with magic. :)

Offline Gadget

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 07:05:36 AM »
A mix of Little Witch Academia + Inception  + Loony Tunes + End Of  Evangelion + Sleeping Beauty. Nothing much happen. But a madcap adventure of fun.

By the way, Happy Birthday to Michiyo Murase (Feb 28). The VA for Sucy Manbavaran.

Edit
While looking up Wikipedia, I realise that Trigger got away with stereotyping various nationality and got away with it. So pollitically incorrect. ::)

Atsuko Kagari  - Japanese. Typical genki (energetic), good heart and willing to help others Japanese. A bit dumb.
Lotte Jansson -Finnish. Soft spoken and caring.
Sucy Manbavaran- Indian. Mysterious and possible secret plot.
Diana Cavendish-Bristish. Prim and proper. And arrogant.
Amanda O'Neill-USA. Rebellious with a love for speed. And the skills to back it up.
Constanze Amalie von Braunschbank Albrechtsberger-German. Mechanical and science genius.
Jasminka Antonenko-Russian. Friendly, laied back, homely and a passion for food.
Hannah and Barbara. Not sure where are they form. But I'm sure Trigger is poking fun at a former cartoon company call Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:31:06 AM by Gadget »

Offline Marid King

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
8:

Another home run. Beyond the hilarity and endless references, they still managed to sneak in character development for Akko and Sucy, which I always appreciate.

The real questions this week concern what actually happened. How much of that was real? Who was Nice Sucy? I figured the way her thing was never revealed, plus how small and shy she was, meant she was 'the Sucy that likes Akko', something Sucy won't admit to herself. But if so, why'd she mutate into a giant monster?

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
Nice Sucy was the Sucy that just wants to see the world burn......

That was episode was hilarious, I loved it.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
9:

Bit of a meh episode, so let me just comment on one thing.

COMPLETE MAGICAL AMATEURS CAN REVIVE/COMMUNICATE WITH THE DEAD, AND YOU'RE STILL TRYING TO TELL ME MAGIC IS OBSOLETE.

Offline gedata

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

COMPLETE MAGICAL AMATEURS CAN REVIVE/COMMUNICATE WITH THE DEAD, AND YOU'RE STILL TRYING TO TELL ME MAGIC IS OBSOLETE.
for an afternoon

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 09:55:49 PM »
Field of Dreams talked about how it would be great to watch all the old ballplayers come back to play the game after being long dead.  There's a market for this.

People will come, Ray.  People will most definitely come.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 04:20:52 AM »
Base on what the store keeper said, magic was a tool that only witches could use. Science was a tool that everyone can use. Magic was a form of monopoly until science came along.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
That may or may not be the case, but if so, it still makes no sense to describe magic as outdated, obsolete, and unimpressive compared to science. Regardless of how widespread magic may be, the things you can do with it are centuries beyond what can be done with science, if not outright impossible otherwise. If magic really was inaccessible for most people, then people would be lamenting how much more could be done with magic if they just had more witches, not mocking it.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
I don't think anyone disputes that magic is useful.  I think it was in episode 7 that one of the teachers mentioned that students who go on to master transformation magic can make it big in the world of cosmetic surgery.  I think the point is that Luna Nova is old and teetering on obsolescence.  Luna Nova seems to portray a rather rigid idea of what a witch and magic is, and that seems to be at odds with the world outside.  It seems to be stuck in the golden age of magic, yet they are the public face of magic.  Hence graduates of Luna Nova go out and become cosmetic surgeons, pharmecologists, mycologists rather than witches, wizards, alchemists and the like.  I'm guessing they downplay the use of magic because the public perception of magic users would get in the way of their job.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
Fafnir, Andrew and the other guy who visited, and whoever told Lotte that repair magic was "outdated", among others, is what I'm referring to. If there was some kind of misunderstanding I'd be fine, but that's not the case. In-universe, there are people who very clearly dispute the usefulness of magic in and of itself, without convolving the issue with the success of Luna Nova or anything else. Every single witch who is met with this skepticism should be dismissing it without a second thought, but so far only Akko and maybe Diana are doing so.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
I'm wondering if you're watching some mistranslations or something, but I don't have an "official" sub to watch right now to compare.  Thanks Netflix!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:59 PM »
Saucy is the real star of Little Witch Academia. Without her, it would be run of the mill over optimistic and enthusiastic girl show. Nice reminder of the actual magic words the Fairy Godmother use in Cinderella.  "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" Pumpkin cycle caught me off guard. From the way things are progressing, Akko would be a witch of Chaos Magic. Does the 'Snow White' kit include the poison apple?

A bit of insight into Andrew's world. He did learn piano against his father's wishes or command. He still got his own dreams, except they are all pushed aside for his father's political ambition. Frank to Andrew is like Lotte to Akko. He give him a reality check. But did Akko's talk of chasing her dream make Andrew read '1984'? Tired of stuff from 'Ministry of Truth'? Akko help him see the light of his father's policies? But I do wish they shad some light of Diana. I'm sure deep down she's a nice girl.

Andrew hint another reason why people are against magic users. Because magic can be a political force. And that could be the reason why politicians had been manufacturing consent against magic users. Just imagine you got 10 Major Tanya von Degurechaff. They could swept aside any opposition and become the dominant political power. Although in LWA, no magic user got any political ambition, just migraine if Luna Nova was to use magic to get people to support magic-craft. Or if the day trading dragon decides to wreak havoc in the country. Tanks and fighter plane would not be effective, except magic users, like Dragon slayers.

Really like the overacting of the VAs. I could imigine them trying not to laugh during the lovelove bee.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:39 AM »
10:

Riotous episode. This is the kind of zany shenanigans magic is great for.

And of course, they still managed to develop multiple characters. LWA has been amazing at not wasting even a single episode, hiding exposition and worldbuilding amongst the fun stuff. I'm curious where they're going with the Andrew/Akko/Diana romance triangle; they've spent too much time for it to not matter later, but straight-up romance is definitely not in sync with the show's coming-of-age story. Plus Andrew looks 20 while Akko looks around 10, please god, no.

EDIT:

I have to say it. They literally threw a party for Andrew's intelligence and studiousness. Since he's expressly not a moron, given all the magic flying around in his face, plus occasional contact with Diana, an extraordinary witch, if Andrew does not at some point reject his father's idiotic claim that witches are a thing of the past and are unworthy of his attention, it will be an extreme blunder in characterization.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:50:00 AM by Marid King »

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 05:34:08 AM »
As soon as I saw the Trandem, I instantly thought of the Goodies....and it kind of fits?  Akko is Bill, Sucy is Graeme and Lotte is Tim (though not quite so fabulous).  Problem is, I'm not sure if the Goodies ever made it to Japan, so I can't say for sure that's a reference, or they just thought it was funny.

Akko's magic is getting better.  She can not use transformation magic without turning herself into some horrible abomination.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
10: Just dropping in here to put further focus on the fact that Diane's roommates are Hannah and Barbara. Hanna Barbera. Good stuff.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Marid King

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 12:30:47 AM »
11:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Witch Academia hit its stride a while back, and has delivered standout episodes one after another since. I can't lie, they're fairly simplistic in terms of message and themes, but that was always going to be the case. Now the bigger picture has finally come into light, and we're going to be probing the deepest secrets of magic while Akko discovers herself along the way. It's exactly what I'd hoped for.

Since I've been complaining about this from the start, I suppose I'd better examine the revelation that happened this week. It turns out this:
6:

Either there's some huge restriction I'm not seeing, they're running out of magical energy worldwide
is what's been going on the whole time.

I'll play devil's advocate against myself, and say you can argue that magic's naysayers simply expect magic will one day completely disappear, and are preemptively minimizing their dependence on it. You could spin statements like "magic is obsolete" to mean "Investing in magic is hopeless, because one day you'll be left with nothing", which isn't true for science. You could also imagine that long ago, people DID recognize exactly how amazing magic is, and they relied on it for everything. This would be the golden age of magic everyone keeps referencing. Then, because magic itself became less powerful and more restricted, people started to find alternative solutions to their problems, simply because at some point they had no other choice. The scorn for witches and pride in science are still very mistaken, because even in their diminished state witches are absolutely ridiculous. However, it does make sense from a cultural standpoint. When magic lost its power, witches would have to shut down their services and turn away people who relied on them. The muggles, hung out to dry and feeling betrayed, managed to get by anyway using their own ingenuity. As generations passed, magic lessened more and more, while science grew and grew, and so did the pride of muggles, and with it their disdain for witches. Sort of like, "You can't help me right now? Screw you, I did it myself! I must be waaay more amazing than you!"

I think I'm satisfied with this explanation. The naysayers aren't blithering idiots unable to see what's before their faces, they're just bitter and getting ahead of themselves. The rest comes down to the specific translations.

What this means for the rest of the show is very interesting. Obviously we're going to try to revive magic, but now the message that sends is more complicated. Just as Akko is studying to become a better witch, the muggles studied science to build a better society. Both are commendable. If we bring back magic, aren't we turning on easy mode again? I'm beginning to suspect that witches secretly weakened magic on purpose, because they saw how it was making people lazy and entitled, much like Akko was at the start. Perhaps now that people have learned better, they're ready to use magic without being spoiled by it, and a new age of science and magic working together will dawn.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:56:56 AM by Marid King »

Offline Gadget

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
So you mean that the 9 witches seal the source of magic and all the magic is running on momentum. And the steam is running out. So the next question is why did Chariot becomes Ursula, or Ursula stop being Chariot? This will be my guess.

Ursula became Chariot so that she could use magic to give people dreams and hope. But she still faces the same problems of running out of magic. So her old mentor, Prof Woodward gave her the task of unsealing Arcturus. So Ursula has to stop being an entertainer (?) and goes back to where magic is most powerful. Luna Nova. And she has to become a teacher there. My guess is that she may failed to unlock the seven passwords. Akko got the first word right without any help. She could be the 'chooses one'. Thus Ursula thought she could be the one to unlock the 7 passwords.

And as for Shiny Rod. It could be the actual lock from the 9 witches. Shiny Rod was lost due to a failed attempt by Ursula to unlock the words? In magical stories, things do have a way of choosing it's master. And it choose Akko, not Ursula.

Prof Woodward got some quick flashes of what it may seem like a revolt against a goverment or magic users. There was a flash of a burning town, and a heroine like figure. So who is Prof Woodward? My guess is she is one of the 9 witches' student or disciple. And she may get Ursula to break the spell. The staff of Luna Nova may not know of this and Ursula is working with the other teachers knowledge or consent. The other hint could he Luna Nova was a witches strong hold, and it was converted into a school. And the secret has got to do with the moon. Luna Nova =New moon. And as for the flash back, it could some back lash against the magic users.

The other hint is that Prof Woodward has got no coperal body. The other teachers are living beings, and even a fish. Woodward could be a being of powerful magic powers that lived for a very long time. And Ursula may stumble on it like Akko, like during the time Andrew came to visit Luna Nova.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:09:50 PM by Gadget »

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »
If Netflix withholds both cours until after the whole thing is over I'm gonna strangle somebody.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2017, 05:01:32 AM »
I would postulate that whatever Professor Woodward and Shiny Chariot were trying to do, it was without the rest of the staff's consent/knowledge or even contrary to what the official position of the school was.  It was rather early on that we were told that Shiny Chariot was not a well thought of person in Luna Nova.  Or possibly whatever Woodward and Chariot did failed so spectacularly (hinted at by the flashbacks of destruction?) that Luna Nova had to throw them under the bus and make them persona non grata at the school in order to survive.

Whatever it was, I think we can be confident in saying that Chariot was given a task which she failed at, which is why she becomes Ursula, and it's tied to the Grand Triskelion.  I suppose the question is why the Nine Old Witches sealed the Triskelion away in the first place?  It sounds like it was fairly important.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:13:06 AM by Major Tom »

Offline Marid King

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 01:16:57 AM »
Yeah, it seems obvious now, but the Shiny Rod/almighty stick of destiny was being used to put on silly light shows, then got abandoned in the forest for years. Probably not how the old stiffs of Luna nova would do things.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2017, 05:19:51 AM »
I wouldn't surprise me if Diana didn't actually like Hanna and Barbara all that much, but they're probably the only people she can call friends at Luna Nova right now.  Whether her heritage doesn't allow her to let the wrong people close (AKA Akko) or the other students have simply elected her school goddess due to her reputation, I'm not sure, but maybe Akko will back off her a bit now she's had a taste of what she no doubt goes through everyday.  She's not a bad person.

It's possible she doesn't know about the prank Akko pulled on them, but I prefer to think she left them out there so she doesn't have to deal with them for just one night.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
What is more interesting is the reason why Akko and Diana want to learn magic. Akko is to bring the joy and mystery of magic to everyone. But Diana is to restore magic. As good as Diana is, she seems to treat magic like an academic subject. Does she even enjoy magic? She's like all head, but lack  the heart. Which is the completely opposite of Akko.

You can gain skills and knowledge, which is what Akko is doing with her privet tutorial. And it's obvious she lack the talent like Diana. Akko's passion, could overshadow Diana. This can be seen when she saved Professor Goldfish and how Andrew is more warm (in a certain way) to Akko than Diana. In the end, I think magic is about passion and connecting with people. This was the original success of Chariot. And not getting result, which is much like Diana. And this was hinted when she saw Chariot practicing magic with an unknown person.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
I had to double check, but I'm pretty sure it was Professor Woodward who turned Akko into Diana.  I'm guessing that Woodward is going to need Diana's talent as well as Akko's passion for magic to achieve whatever her goal is, and is working to push them together.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »
11: Nine Olde Witches? Disney's Nine Old Men? I'm not the only one getting these, right? They're just so obvious that they're not worth mentioning, right? God, I know there's a lot more worth talking about than these little bitty animated history references, but I'm loving them to bits.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2017, 01:08:51 AM »
I'm not a Disney aficionado, so many of those reference will probably pass me by.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
13:

I really appreciate how, while improving, Akko is still a poor witch who doesn't compare to her peers. It maintains the idea that magic is a learnable skill in this world, not just wishy-washy deus ex machina of the heart.

Also glad they gave Diana a bit more warming up to do, the Akko/Diana doujin's don't write themselves. 

Offline Marid King

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2017, 11:15:05 PM »
14:

It just keeps getting better.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 03:05:13 AM »
I think feel-good fluffy time is over. Things will get darker. Croix seems to have some beef with Chariot. So the question is is Croix acting alone, or she's answering to some higher master, like Andrew's father.
 They have  small things that make the series cute. Like Sucy mushroom shield, Akko got the Stockholm Syndrome  to the way headmistress congratulate Akko being promoted to chief negotiator.
Diana influence din work this time. What Akko said was hush, but true. I hope Diana will reflect a bit. She's really is a nice girl.

Offline gedata

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »
14:

Offline Marid King

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
I swear to god, they'd better not pull the "I bet Croix is Shiny Chariot! What, you're saying YOU'RE Shiny Chariot? You're making stuff up because you're jealous, that's so pathetic!"

I will jump off a bridge.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2017, 04:50:09 AM »
Rewatch episode 1. What the hell did I missed.

At 0.25 a young Diana was at Chariot's magic show. I know it's her cause only she and Akko were colored. The other audience are in shades of blue and gray. An older person in a butler's uniform was sitting next to her.

During the magic show, Chariot was attack by a Minecraft's blocky Ender Dragon like thing. It's black and blocky. It really looks like Croix's type of magic. She destroy the dragon and people though it was part of the show. So Chariot do have some beef with Croix.

It's hard to believe that Akko and Diana are the same magic show. And Diana smiled. She NEVER smile except at the magic show. So what happen to her. Does she still have some secret admiration for Chariot?

I think both girls have the same goal. Restoration of magic. Diana is by logical problem solving. And Akko is ....I don't really know except she wants magic to bring joy to everyone. As Akko improves her magic, I do wish Diana do come down from her pedestal. May be they'll work together.

E2
By current time, Diana shows contempt for Chariot's magic. She dismissed them as 'show' magic. While Akko believes Chariots magic is to bring joy to people.
Now the Jennifer Memorial tree. There is a face of a woman where the trunk starts to brunch out. I bet this tree was planted by Jennifer Lockwood. Prof Lockwood is way more powerful then Chariot. And she uses plant magic. So Prof Lockwood is like thousand years old. It does make sense at the tree was planted when Luna Nova was founded. And it's also the time the 9 witches seal the magic.
And Diana mention that the Cavendish family got secret magic arts. I assume that Diana's father must be a shrewd person to maintain political standing with the growing distaine for magic. Either that of the family make some compromise that makes Diana so driven and despise  Andrew Hanbridge. They were suppose to be the 'perfect couple'.

2nd OP
Akko and Diana walk past each other. Akko became Chariot, Diana become Croix. But they both stretch their hands and hold each other's hand. So Croix, Chariot, Diana and Akko all have the same goal. Then the group was flying through the forest. With Lotte at the rear, Diana flying lead. No signs of Hanna and Barbara.
It seems Akko still cannot use a broom. She transform into flying animals.
I bet at the last quarter of the series, Diana and Akko would team up.

That;s all for my theory for now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:06:05 AM by Gadget »

Offline Marid King

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
15:

You know, I almost feel bad for Diana and Croix. If anything, this episode convinced me Croix won't end up a villain; she, like Diana, wants to save magic, but both are left in the dark despite all their hard work and talent.

Also...is Shiny Chariot literally Akko's mom? Long-lost sister? Cousin? Aunt? Because their bond is quite something.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 03:00:46 AM »
Not seen 15 yet, but it's speculation time.  I also don't think Croix will be a straight up villain.  In fact I think Croix and Chariot want(ed) the same thing, to restore magic to the world.  But Chariot was chosen for the task, not Croix. which upset her somewhat.  I dunno if Croix interfered with Chariot's  work (possibly contributing to her failure) but Croix is still working to that goal, however with a 'burn the old system to the ground' mentality.  Now the parallels with Akko and Diana are there, but I'm guessing that they will work together to restore magic, instead of becoming bitter rivals.

And of course Luna Nova sticks to tradition like glue.  I still think their stubbornness (especially Professor Finnelan) did, has and will continue to get them into trouble.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2017, 06:18:23 AM »
Fermented fish is the root of all evil.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2017, 11:50:41 PM »
18:

I cannot believe they decided to shoutout the League of Legends NA LCS final. I was actually there for it too, sh!t was dope.

Consider me successfully pandered. 

Offline Gadget

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 05:44:07 AM »
It's still amazing that Trigger took other stuff, give it a twist, and it's Little Witch Academia version. I don't feel it's copying, but a shout out to all those super robots anime. There is NEG lunch, with Akkio. Gurren Lagann style drill attack. Mazginer swimming pool lunch. Saber Raider/Voltron style transformation. And a bit of Yamato style anti ghost shooting

Offline gedata

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »
18:

Started out as an episode of Dexter's Lab.

Then became an episode of Gurren Lagann.

In simple terms.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
19:

Ahhh. This explains a lot about Diana, and puts her stubborn pride in a new light.

That said, Akko and Diana scenes crack me up every time. Please hug it out at some point.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »
18:

Im not watching this show.

But I watched this.

And it was dope.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2017, 06:08:14 AM »
19:

Ahhh. This explains a lot about Diana, and puts her stubborn pride in a new light.

That said, Akko and Diana scenes crack me up every time. Please hug it out at some point.

Alllllllmmooost. At least Diana give her broom ride back to school.

Like Akko reference to Sucy's posion. I think Akko became part of Sucy's experiment. Although the style is a bit cartoonish, the speech, the BMG, and the VC's talent, really make the Akko's confronting Diana touching.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
The relationship between  Croix and Chariot is complicated. I think the frienemy relationship is even more profound then Perry the Platypus and Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz.

Other than hinting Andrew mayyyyyyyy have feelings for Akko, Diana is become part of Akko's circle, Croix and Chariots past, it was plot by the numbers.
And an artificial Shiny Rod.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2017, 12:42:32 AM »
22:

Oh jesus christ.

Offline gedata

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
22:

Offline Gadget

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
C'mon guys, that French girl is remorse about what she did. (du Nord means the North)

Croix thinks her method is better as it does not rob people of their magical abilities. But she's blind to the emotion that will lead to war. So both Chariot and Croix method are just as bad.

And as for the 7th sealed words. I think Akko cannot unseal it by herself. She may need Chariot's help to unseal it. LWA has no 'real' bad person. Just people with good intent that end up doing bad things. So the 7th word will help Chariot to redeem herself and win back her friendship with Croix.

BTY, I did say that Diana was at Chariot's show. And she did lost her ability to do magic. But with hard work and perseverance,  she became the best magic user student in Luna Nova. So Akko can do magic if she work hard.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2017, 05:37:20 AM »
Finally, the truth and revelation episode. Diana is officially part of Akko's gang.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
Trigger is pulling all their tear jerking tricks. Hope the stopping the emotion/magic ICBM would bring everyone together.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2017, 04:46:27 PM »
Netflix will be releasing all episodes on June 30, 2017.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »
If I haven't been clear throughout this thread, watch LWA. Starts a little slow, but by episode 5 the magic starts shining through.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
25:

It's hard say anything due to the show's simplicity. We got what we came for, and it was a fun ride.

8/10

Offline Gadget

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2017, 12:36:28 AM »
Final thoughts
An advertiser once told me 'imitation is a form of flattery'. And what they did was took some cartoon and anime stuff, give it a LWA spin. It's a simple plot. Akko and gang are pretty stereotype and rather 2 dimensional. But they play up on the troupe. And they dedicate 1 episode for Akko to explore a bit more on that person. It's like going into Sucy's mind episode. This will add a bit of 'depth'. Then it's back to being 2D again. And the character, from Chariot, Akko and most of the girls, they are consistent. The only 2 people needed to 'grow' are Diana and Andrew for plot reasons.

Being 25 episodes, the story did not feel rushed. In fact, it allows some filler that are fun. And I glade they did remove some thing that may distract the story. Like who Andrew like? Diana or Akko. (Please be Akko.)

It's a girl story, from a girl's point of view. So it all hearts. Non of the typical Shonan stuff like will power, the desire to protect the people I love, Saiyan like power up ect. (Like My Hero Academy.) It's the 'will or the feelings of the people' that power me. It's like after eating too much sweet stuff, something savory do taste better.

LWA is pretty good. And when the other mid-week trash is not that bad. It's one of the few anime I really looking forward to watching more than others. Maybe it IS funny. I'm not sure can they dwell into more serious tear jerking moments. Being cartoon like makes it difficult. And I guess that will be it's limit.

a high 8 (maybe 9) for me.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »
I had a lot of fun with this series. It's a nice, clean simple plot (though I didn't expect Chariot being the cause of Akko's lack of magic. To be fair, Croix didn't actually tell her what dream spirit fuel did til after the show. Also, I knew Chariot did something big, but blowing up the moon? Yeah, I can see someone needing to lay low after that) that was well executed and pretty funny.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2017, 05:27:40 AM »
7/10

I did love the series but there are episodes I can do without. Also, I really found the inclusion of the soccer match as a vital plot point very jarring to the nature of the show. That said, the characters are likable albeit underutilized (cough Diana cough).
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]   Go Up